Welcome, Guest
General discussion about ComicRack

TOPIC: Is comicrack dead?

Is comicrack dead? 5 months 2 weeks ago #49392

This is a bit off topic... okay it's WAY off topic :) .. and I'm a brand new newbie to the forum so bear with me :)

But I wanted to thank you all .. especially shpanky for starting the thread... to alerting me to the fact that the developer of this wonderful program has sort of "rode off into the sunset" :) .. I was looking through the forum for a way to personally thank him after making a donation to comicrack just now, but I can see from this thread that it's going to be a bit difficult for me to do that :P ... not that this makes me ungrateful in the slightest ! :) I really do appreciate his (her?.. don't want to assume gender, trying to be politically correct :) ) making this great program available to us :)

This thread has also prompted me to backup the "setup" files for Comicrack onto my computer and to make a backup of said files so I can continue to use the program hopefully even years from now (hopefully the Microsoft Windows programs of the future will continue to cooperate with Comicrack :) ) .. so thank you all for that too, otherwise it would have never occurred to me to do so !

Apologies, I know this probably counts as highjacking a thread for which I apologize :( ... but I did want to give a heartfelt thank you to you all and to the developer as well on the off chance s/he sees this somehow, someday :) ..
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Is comicrack dead? 4 months 3 days ago #49524

• rockminstrel
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
If Cyo doesn't release the code. We could reverse engineer it. Comicrack is written in C#.net and its simple to decompile it. Some things will be a bit weird and there are no comments in code but its much less work than to write something appropriate from scratch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Haired

Is comicrack dead? 4 months 2 days ago #49527

• Xelloss
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 150
I doubt the legallity of that XD

Is comicrack dead? 4 months 2 days ago #49528

• Wilber
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
One would have to verify any copyrights and claims are abandoned first, and even then the name would probably have to be altered, I'm guessing.

Is comicrack dead? 3 months 3 weeks ago #49596

• Rav3nX
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
I started writing a replacement, got the engine working reasonable, but just don't have the time whatsoever now (work position changed).

Started in VB.net, would love other people to revive that in the spirit of comic rack.

Is comicrack dead? 3 months 10 hours ago #49709

• Just Bill
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Someone needs to keep it going, if not a direct descendant of CR, something in the same spirit. There really isn't anything else like it out there right now.

Is comicrack dead? 2 months 12 hours ago #50025

• mcpierce
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 13
You can help me grow a new community around ComixEd. I just put out the first (rough) release last week and would love to get users to use, test and help me develop it into the next comic management tool.

www.github.com/mcpierce/comixed
The following user(s) said Thank You: oraclexview

Is comicrack dead? 2 months 11 hours ago #50027

• perezmu
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
I’ll give it a try. I am staying away from CR since last time it decided to start moving my files to a temp directory.

You have any screenshots?

(I have to admit Java is not that appealing to me, being used to write python scripts for comicrack, which is probably the main strength of comicrack...)
Last Edit: 2 months 11 hours ago by perezmu.

Is comicrack dead? 2 months 10 hours ago #50028

• mcpierce
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 13
Here's a screenshot of the current library view:

The app is written in a combination of Java (backend) and Angular (frontend). One of the goals of the app is to be portable across OSs and doing a single UI codebase would be far too complex to be worth the effort.

And one of the things I plan as a future enhancement is to put Jython into it so add-ons can be written in Python. ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: oraclexview

Is comicrack dead? 2 months 9 hours ago #50029

• perezmu
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
Thanks... Still no time to try it, but definitely interested, specially in the "comics server" feature... :)

I guess we need to try it, but it would help for you to provide more info on features (CVDB integration, comicinfo.xml compatility, and writing capabilities.../batch renaming of files based on rules/ moving files)

ComicRack is hard to beat featurewise, since you need not only address its main features, but also those of the main scripts...
Time to create page: 0.367 seconds

Who's Online

We have 145 guests and one member online