Welcome, Guest
General discussion about ComicRack

TOPIC: Is comicrack dead?

Is comicrack dead? 1 year 1 week ago #51150

• mcpierce
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14
Well, I'm definitely on board with supporting WebP formatted images. I just need to find someone who has a pure Java decoder for that format and adding supporting would be a simple as writing a small adaptor. Literally about 10 lines of code.

(small rant time)

That's what bothers me in the open-source world, companies like Google who are semi-open source. I used to work for a big, well-known open source company and was recruited several times by Google. And each time they talked on and on about their "awesome" proprietary technologies and how I would enjoy such an environment. But when I kept saying that, no, I don't like proprietary because it cuts off the open source community from embracing a technology they literally had no idea what I meant or why I would think that was bad.

WebP is great and all, but Google has made it so that it ONLY works in Chrome, to try and lock people into their browser. And they cut off a path for wider acceptance by not release an open source implementation and licensing that in a way that lets projects like ours take advantage of it.

(sigh)

Okay, I'm done. Time to go watch some hockey highlights to wind down. :D
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.316 seconds

Who's Online

We have 114 guests and no members online