Welcome, Guest
General discussion about ComicRack

TOPIC: Is comicrack dead?

Is comicrack dead? 5 months 4 days ago #47839

• Drybonz
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Dancer wrote:
holy crap Comic Glass is the worst of all. Thank you for convincing me to waste $4

lol... what was it that you didn't like about it?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Is comicrack dead? 5 months 4 days ago #47840

• Kreos
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11
I checked out YACReader. And it has potential. I was impressed with it's speed. The reader is good. The sever-based mobile seems to have potential (though since I use a droid, I can't really check this out). It seems to have good list building options. I like that you can have multiple libraries. I like it's reader controls, and how easy it is to set shortcut keys. I love that the ComicVine scrapper is built in and not a plugin.

But there are still too many things it is missing. Specifically, it doesn't automatically load the info file, so it means re-scrapping my entire collection (with 47,000 books, this would not a quick thing). It doesn't have the robust library organization options that ComicRack does, and it still isn't visual enough (just a list of folders rather than cover images). There is no page sorting option for individual issues. If a cover is gatefold, it takes the thumbnail from the middle instead of the right. It also doesn't have as robust of info fields. And the lack of the library organization (which I know is an add-on , though it is indispensable).

My point is, if there is intent to create new, it would seem more logical to hook up with something like this that is still newer and capable of having ComicsRack features we love incorporated.

Is comicrack dead? 5 months 4 days ago #47841

• Drybonz
  • Gold Boarder
Yeah, YacReader has some potential. I get the impression they don't have much time to work on it. Maybe they could use some more help. Not sure.

Is comicrack dead? 5 months 4 days ago #47843

• krandor
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 21
Drybonz wrote:
Not really sure why you guys keep talking about "manually moving comics". That is the old way. The new way is streaming them, with no download time, to your tablet as you wish to read them.

You don't always have wifi/internet access.

Bigger thing for me. Can I stream and point it to a CR smart list and have all the CVS meta data like publication date available? If not, won't work for me. I do not have my comics organized on my HD. CR and smart lists are my organization along with CVS meta data. If the streaming app can't use that I don't see how I could use it.

Is comicrack dead? 5 months 4 days ago #47844

• krandor
  • Gold Boarder
Drybonz wrote:
Yhoogi wrote:
Well, I prefer also to have them locally.
Streaming doesn't work so well if you are travelling by plane.

lol... so you click the dl button. It is still an option. What I'm trying to say is that ComicRack mobile is massively outdated. I hope that cYo updates it so you guys that don't want to try other apps can use it again.... I really do. But, it's not looking like that's going to happen, since he logs into the forums, as someone mentioned and doesn't even type a sentence to let you know it's in the works. I requested some of the more advanced features from these other apps when cYo was still working on ComicRack, and he didn't seem interested. If he does happen to do a quick update so that it works on the new versions of Android/iOS, it's still way behind other apps in features and usability.

My intent was, originally, to try and help you guys out by letting you know there were other options available.

I know there are other options. The problem is that moving is not as simple as you make it out to be. I would have to completely change my current comic workflow to switch to another app and I'm not even sure yet what that new workflow would even look like.

Yes there are other options but don't make it to be that switching is easy. For many of us it isn't.

Is comicrack dead? 5 months 4 days ago #47845

• krandor
  • Gold Boarder
I took a look at the comicglass app (didn't buy it though ) and their "media server". For it to be remotely useful to me I would have to completely reorganize how I have my comics setup and then I'd have to manually update read status in CR since it appears there would be no way to get read status from CG to CR. '

I know you claim CR mobile is outdated, but the ability to sync information and data between the desktop app and the mobile app like read status, etc. is a feature that isn't duplicated anywhere else.

I keep a lot of smartlists set to give me 100 (or 1000 items) unread only so as soon as I read one on next sync it is removed and the next one added. I know streaming would do something similar, but ONLY if it can access my smartlists AND sync read status back to CR.

Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see an easy way to make chunky or CG work with my current workflow as long as CR is my desktop comic organizer.

Is comicrack dead? 5 months 4 days ago #47849

• Drybonz
  • Gold Boarder
Are you guys using the library organizer script for ComicRack desktop? You can organize your files into any sort of folder structure you want, to match your ComicRack library with, literally, the click of a button.

Is comicrack dead? 5 months 4 days ago #47850

• Kreos
  • Junior Boarder
yeah, I LOVE this extension I used to do it manually, but once I found it, literally reduced my Wednesday ritual in half. Point at my download folder, Comicvine scrape, fix any stragglers that aren't how I personally prefer them, then library export and boom. they are perfectly renamed and organized.

Is comicrack dead? 5 months 4 days ago #47852

• Drybonz
  • Gold Boarder
Yeah, once you have your rules set up (which takes like two minutes) one button click organizes your books any way you want them. I have mine set up in folders from A-Z, then folders for the series name for quick finding, but the possibilities of how you could organize them are endless.

Is comicrack dead? 5 months 4 days ago #47853

• Kreos
  • Junior Boarder
I have mine organized by publisher, then series & volume. I also love this because I don't have to worry about doubles (all my comic files are cbz).

The only thing I don't like is I can't seem to get comicrack to say "no" to proposed values to books not in my library. So if they have something I don't want - like a year for the volume - I have organize it, then go into my new comics list, set proposed values to "no," fix what messed up and organize that issue again.

but this is waaay off topic.
Time to create page: 0.183 seconds

Who's Online

We have 227 guests and 2 members online