General discussion about ComicRack

TOPIC: Grand Comics Database

Grand Comics Database 1 year 4 days ago #46536

• Comickon
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
To be found on:
http://www.comics.org/

I'm a member for a few years. Hardly used it.
But a week ago I discovered that their database was open for all comics in every language to be added by members.
Normally the content of these databases are restricted to certain languages like english, japanese or whatever.
So I've started adding comics that are available in the Dutch language.
Hopefully there is the possibility of making a connection with comicrack in the future.
Anyway they seem to be active.
I discovered this post(dated last october) in a discussion group:

The Grand Comics Database relies on the contributions of volunteers like you, and while we focus most of our attention on indexing comics, there are other areas of our project that needs your support. We are looking help in key areas that advance the GCD's mission, and it is our hope that you will consider donating your time to help.

We have vacancies that we would like to fill with new faces and new ideas:

PR Coordinator (responsible for the public relations of the GCD)
Rules/Policy Coordinator (manage the discussions on the gcd-policy mailing List following the Policy Procedures)
Ad Revenue Coordinator (charged with monitoring the performance of our ad providers, investigating potential other networks, making the decision of which ad providers to use and other aspects related to the ads shown on our website)
Lead Programmer (responsible for the web site and application design and implementation)
Convention Committee Chair (Handle all convention related activities for the GCD, including identifying conventions to participate in, recruiting volunteers, creating programs for our convention activities, developing budgets, defining success metrics, managing and advertising convention appearances)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Grand Comics Database 1 year 1 day ago #46548

• boshuda
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
That seems reasonable. At a minimum, maybe it's possible to implement an API as an alternative to ComicVine. I believe they are actively opposed to an API on their site, but if I read the license correctly someone else could mirror their data, attribute it properly, and provide their own API.

From their license site:
Data License and proper credit in derived works
The following motion has passed with all members voting in favor:

In favor: Will Allred, Henry Andrews, Ray Bottorff, Jr., Lionel English, Ralf Haring, Matt Gore, Lou Mazzella, Mike Nielsen, Tony Rose
Motion: The GCD should adopt a Creative Commons Attribution (a.k.a. cc-by) license, specifically version 3.0 Unported as documented at creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/ (the "Unported" is a rather inelegant way of saying that it's not specific to any national jurisdiction- the other alternatives, are having various national licenses, or rooting our overall license in one particular jurisdiction).

For our purposes, "Attribution" requires:

Naming the Grand Comics DatabaseTM (spelled out) with a link to the main site and the license at least once on each page containing our data. Example:
Data courtesy of the Grand Comics DatabaseTM under a Creative Commons Attribution license.

where "Grand Comics DatabaseTM" and "Creative Commons Attribution license" are links. Guidelines and boilerplate for marking usage of cc-by licensed data are available at wiki.creativecommons.org/Marking

When individual records are listed, a link to the relevant GCD page should be included.
The Board may waive either or both of the above requirements at its discretion, on a case-by-case basis.
Motion put forward by Henry Andrews, seconded by Will Allred, voting period: 2009-04-09 - 2009-04-16

[Note: Text has been edited to reflect the name change from Grand Comic-Book Database to Grand Comics DatabaseTM]

Grand Comics Database 1 year 2 hours ago #46558

• Comickon
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Ah, hell.. I use it next to comicvine if only for in a Dutch, German and French comics language availability.

:woohoo:
boshuda wrote:
That seems reasonable. At a minimum, maybe it's possible to implement an API as an alternative to ComicVine. I believe they are actively opposed to an API on their site, but if I read the license correctly someone else could mirror their data, attribute it properly, and provide their own API.
Time to create page: 0.181 seconds

Who's Online

We have 411 guests and 7 members online