Welcome, Guest
General discussion about ComicRack

TOPIC: All your books on your phone/tablet. Take it anywhere. No space required.

All your books on your phone/tablet. Take it anywhere. No space required. 3 months 4 days ago #47193

• DanielFJorge
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
I've been researching a way to have my whole library available to me (3TB of comics, about 120.000) everywhere I go. And I found a solution that is pretty neat. I can now stream comic books (like youtube stream videos) over the internet, whitout having to put all the data on a server or file service like dropbox. Here is what you will need:

1. Ubooquity
Which is a "webserver" for your comics. It indexes all your comics directories and make it available on your local network.

2. ngrok
Which will expose your ubooquity localhost to the internet through a secure tunnel. (Be sure to disable inspection on ngrok when you run it, otherwise it is VERY slow)

3. ComicViewer for Ubooquity (Android, at google play store)
Which will connect to the REST API of your exposed book server. (be sure to enable the OPDS Feed option on your ubooquity server)

I have to tell you. It works PERFECTLY. You will have ALL your comic books available to you anywhere you go and consumes 0 storage on your mobile device. And it is PRETTY EASY to setup. You can setup everything in under 5 minutes.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kge, rmagere, jkthemac, elg

All your books on your phone/tablet. Take it anywhere. No space required. 2 months 4 weeks ago #47216

• mrizvi66
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7
I actually did this yesterday but did it for an ipad with chunky comic reader...seems to work pretty well.

i'll use this as a backup until CR dies.

I just forwarded a port on my router and can access my comic and book library on the road now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jkthemac

All your books on your phone/tablet. Take it anywhere. No space required. 2 months 2 weeks ago #47264

Trying to use ComicRack for tagging and Chunky as my reader, but for some reason it's showing ComicRack tagged books as "Unknown/Not Tagged". Can someone help me? I thought Chunky was supposed to understand CR tags.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

All your books on your phone/tablet. Take it anywhere. No space required. 2 months 2 weeks ago #47282

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 242
I was hoping somebody would answer this because I am intrigued by Chunky Reader but haven't looked at it yet.

One thing worth checking, do you use Update Book Files, to place the metadata into your files (only works with CBZ and CB7). Let me know if that works because if it does I will give the app a try.

P.S. If you have CBR files it is worth converting them to CBZ using Export Books anyway.
Last Edit: 2 months 2 weeks ago by jkthemac.

All your books on your phone/tablet. Take it anywhere. No space required. 2 months 1 week ago #47292

@jkthemac

I got over my 'senior moment' and used the "Update Book Files" feature. Now when i d/l books into Chunky Reader, they show up just fine.

Goodbye ComicTagger!!

I've been using Chunky for a long time. Paid for the in-app upgrade so that I could use ComicStreamer and make GUI/color changes. Love it! I was very apprehensive about the CR app for iPad because it hasn't been updated in forever, appears to have bad reviews, and is much more expensive (by comparison) to Chunky.

All your books on your phone/tablet. Take it anywhere. No space required. 2 months 1 week ago #47309

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 242
thegreenlantern71 wrote:
@jkthemac

I got over my 'senior moment' and used the "Update Book Files" feature. Now when i d/l books into Chunky Reader, they show up just fine.

Thanks for the feedback.

All your books on your phone/tablet. Take it anywhere. No space required. 2 months 6 days ago #47327

• Drybonz
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I use ComicGlass iOS as my reader. It has a streaming app for your PC that lets you read your comics as they download to your device... no waiting.

I used to use that with dynamic DNS to read outside my home network (I forget how it works exactly, but it wasn't to hard to set up)... but I mostly just read at home now.

All your books on your phone/tablet. Take it anywhere. No space required. 1 week 2 days ago #47858

• spynotebook
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
I think I might try this today with Chunky on my iPad. All my comics are already stored on an ubuntu box (ComicRack is on a windows VM on the same server) so comicstreamer shouldn't be too hard.

I rely heavily on smart lists. Any suggestions how to replicate these with this setup?

All your books on your phone/tablet. Take it anywhere. No space required. 1 week 2 days ago #47859

• Drybonz
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hey spynotebook... we had some discussion going in the "is comicrack dead" thread about this. If you read over that and still need help with it I'll try to help you out. We may want to start a new discussion as that thread was getting off topic and most of the discussion wasn't very well received.
Time to create page: 0.463 seconds

Who's Online

We have 256 guests and 2 members online