Welcome, Guest
General discussion about ComicRack

TOPIC: A New Start

A New Start 3 weeks 3 days ago #47381

• joaohkfaria
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hey guys!

I think here I'll find people that loves ComicRack like I do. But let's be straight: This project is dead.

I'll start an OPEN SOURCE project that will be a real alternative for ComicRack, but before I start, I need some help from you.

Please, send me here the features from ComicRack that are REALLY IMPORTANT to you. Things that you can't live without.

If anyone wanna contribute, send your GH here. (The project will be full-javascript, Electron for desktop apps and React-Native for Mobile/Tablet apps).

And probably I will need some designers too!

See ya! =)
Last Edit: 3 weeks 3 days ago by joaohkfaria.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: NoDruid

A New Start 3 weeks 9 hours ago #47404

• romsnesrom
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11
Starting a project from scratch like this is a big task. Good luck!
About the features, if it could have compatibility with CR plugins (or most of them) that would be a very good start.
If I had to pick the most important features in CR, I would say the CVS and LO plugins.
If it was less intensive on resources that would be awesome, particularly for large collections.

A New Start 3 weeks 2 hours ago #47413

• NoDruid
  • Fresh Boarder
Nice that you give it a try. I'm really looking forward to something new on the market. Open source even better. :woohoo:

For me the biggest features I use the most on the desktop side is the database management functionality with the comicvine scraper, library organizer plugins and the custom rulesets with data manager plugin. I store most of my stuff on a nas, so the usage of a network database is a big plus.

Also very important for me is the sync feature and smartlists so the mobile devices, which i use for reading, so that i only have the unread issues with me. Would be cool if the sorting would work. Right now on my ipad it sorts the issue 10s after issue 1 by default and doesn't apply the sync settings from my computer :S

A New Start 2 weeks 6 days ago #47422

• boshuda
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 61
A shared database would be fantastic. Something that would sync over a protocol similar to bittorrent. That way, reading lists/completion lists, etc could be easily shared among users. It would also possibly decouple us from ComicVine, or any other server. If that site goes down or shuts off their API I'm in trouble.

A local copy of that database, with the ComicVine numbers and other database numbers baked in for quick lookups when scraping would be cool.

I really like the reading lists, but my main grip with them is that they're painful to generate and edit. And they easily get stale if they're the flat list type (replace a copy of a book and it doesn't get updated in the list), but smart lists don't tell you if an issue is missing.

Being able to lookup/reference trade paperbacks and link back and forth would be great. So if Issues 1-5 of "X-Men" are in the trade copy of "X-Men: Volume 1" and my reading list wanted X-Men #3, but I was missing it, then "X-Men: Volume 1" could be automatically substituted.

Mostly I use it to track my comics and read them. I like to sync to my Android reader. I would like to access my library on my tablet when online, and push/pull the books in real time.

I started on something like this, but got seriously bogged down in the database. So I encourage you to just get something done. Enough to bother open-sourcing it, so others can help push it along. At some point we're going to be left in the cold. cYo appears to be pretty much done with the project. Can't really blame him, and he probably has a real life out there somewhere. I haven't touched Java in forever, and I personally hate the language, but if you get enough written that there's enough to help with I'll try to jump in.

A New Start 2 weeks 2 days ago #47431

• panazol
  • Fresh Boarder
As an entousiastic user of ComicRack (and new to this forum), i mainly appreciate and use :

Managing files on PC
- thumbnails view + customized caption (based on metadatas)
- List and Smart List organization (using metadata)
- “Library Organizer” plugin (move, copy, rename files, depending on metadatas)
- xml metadatas read/write (to store and read metadata from file)
- export from cbr or pdf format to cbz
- scrapping data from comics databases (“bedetheque” for french comics + “comicvine “ for us)

Read comics on tablet (ios)
- sync based on list and smart list
- sync adapt files to device (pixel size, …)
- sync “read rate”
- local reader : display comics within comicrack list and smartlist organization, display comicrack metadata, full screen display with auto zoom on margins

Wished
And finally, improvement could be done, in my opinion, on : sync list and smart list organization + cloud access to files (via NAS, …)

Hope a solution could be define for future ... ;)

A New Start 2 weeks 1 day ago #47448

• perezmu
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
Existing:
- Lists management
- Plugins (anyone related to data mangement, comics movement & DUPLICATES detection)

Whish:
- Comics server to be read with a web browser or some existing comic apps on a tablet (like CHUNKY COMICS READER, that can use Ubooquity and ComicStreamer served comics, but better ;) )
- One database accessible for several computers (could be held in a NAS?)

A New Start 2 weeks 1 day ago #47450

• Drybonz
  • Gold Boarder
Streaming to an iOS app the way Comic Glass does.

*edit* I would actually like to see a new program *not* use plugins... or at least integrate and support working plugins. Many of the scripts/plugins posted here haven't been updated for years, don't completely work or work properly, and in some cases the authors aren't even about to support them or fix problems. Even the index of scripts page is completely out of date and full of dead links or links to old threads.

The working and supported scripts here are very awesome (thanks to the authors) and that is great, but, in my humble opinion it's better if working scripts are integrated into the main program and supported by the main developers.
Last Edit: 2 weeks 1 day ago by Drybonz.

A New Start 2 weeks 1 day ago #47453

• joaohkfaria
  • Fresh Boarder
Hey guys! I'm really glad for the answers that I saw here. First, I wanna reply some points that appeared.
Starting a project from scratch like this is a big task. Good luck!
Yeah! You're right! For that reason I will try to deliver only the most essential features that ComicRack does on the first version. With some other cool stuff.
About the features, if it could have compatibility with CR plugins
For the first version I don't think that plugins will be available. Supporting plugins (or CR plugins) will be a gigantic task that I don't want to accomplish right now. (Just right now).
A shared database would be fantastic. Something that would sync over a protocol similar to bittorrent.
That is going to happen! A shared database in the cloud is a must have, and probably Comics will be stored on Google Drive (or another cloud service) to sync with mobile devices.
List and Smart List organization (using metadata)
Excelent point! Probably I will find some open API to get Metadata from internet.(And let the user to edit comics metadata manually).
Comics organization really matters to me. Knowing that, I'll need help from the community to create the best organization possible. (Including duplicates detection and working with metadata)
Comics server to be read with a web browser
To store comics (and sync) I will probably use Google Drive. I don't want to create a private server because I wanna make it 100% free (and that will cost money).

I'll start the project soon, first I will plan the features for the version 1.0. I'm still here to get some insights from you!

Thank you very much for your help!

A New Start 2 weeks 1 day ago #47454

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 234
My dream iPad App would be able to access my SQL database directly to view my database in whichever order I chose, and then allow me to stream the issue or individually download a local copy, much like Comic Glass but with database support.

A New Start 2 weeks 1 day ago #47455

• perezmu
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
joaohkfaria wrote:
About the features, if it could have compatibility with CR plugins
For the first version I don't think that plugins will be available. Supporting plugins (or CR plugins) will be a gigantic task that I don't want to accomplish right now. (Just right now).

It is clear that using CR plugins would be almost impossible to achieve, since you'd need to expose the same functions that the CR API does, but allowing your own plugins is a must for success. I really think it is what made CR a success and the MOST complete reader at the time.

A shared database would be fantastic. Something that would sync over a protocol similar to bittorrent.
That is going to happen! A shared database in the cloud is a must have, and probably Comics will be stored on Google Drive (or another cloud service) to sync with mobile devices.

Google Drive is great, but local storage should also be allowed... Why use GD if you can access remotely your PC?...

List and Smart List organization (using metadata)
Excelent point! Probably I will find some open API to get Metadata from internet.(And let the user to edit comics metadata manually).
Comics organization really matters to me. Knowing that, I'll need help from the community to create the best organization possible. (Including duplicates detection and working with metadata)

The best way to achieve this would be to look at the ComicVine Scraper Plugin source... All you need is there!
Last Edit: 2 weeks 1 day ago by perezmu.
Time to create page: 0.218 seconds

Who's Online

We have 266 guests and 3 members online