Welcome, Guest
General discussion about ComicRack

TOPIC: A New Start

A New Start 5 months 4 days ago #47567

• shpanky
  • Junior Boarder
I also have some (admittedly dated) experience building websites...didn't realize Electron existed. Would love to help there too!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

A New Start 5 months 2 days ago #47575

• WildWildWest42
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
BoraBora wrote:
If I may suggest something: there's already an open source comic reader: YacReader. www.yacreader.com/

It's not nearly as great as CR but it's still pretty good. Why not joining forces and help this project instead of reinventing the wheel? I'm not a dev and I don't know YacReader's dev but he sounds like a nice guy with way too much work on his hands. Open source is all about team work and it can be frustrating sometimes to see 10 devs doing 10 similar projects going nowhere for years when they could achieve 1 great piece of software working together.

I've always been interested in YACReader, but sadly as an Android user, I feel sort of left out =(

A New Start 5 months 2 days ago #47579

• Just Bill
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
I'm going to vote in the dissent on this one. I like a one stop shop for it all - comic library organizer and reader. ComicRack fits my needs perfectly other than being able to scan the entire library and download comics ala carte as needed to a tablet. Other than that, if you're building something new, I'd use ComicRack as the template.

A New Start 5 months 1 day ago #47583

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 248
If I could have my dream PC database program, it would use SQL properly. It would only load data as and when you need it and make use of a modern relational database structure for efficiency. I still suspect this was what brought development to a slowdown. The introduction of an SQL option suggested a better route but that new route necessitated a complete rewrite which was a potentially huge task for a program that had been built iteratively over the years.
Last Edit: 5 months 1 day ago by jkthemac.

A New Start 4 months 4 weeks ago #47597

• CollectorX
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello

I have a few ideas this might be a bit unrealistic or a bit too much for a single person but here it goes.
1)Library management like ComicRack has now
2)Android and IOS sync with the PC
3)A NAS application so that if you have your collection a NAS you can just sync with up with our tablet without using a PC
The NAS application doesn't need to be something just for sync and maybe update a file in the main folder on the MAS.
4) maybe 2 versions of app like PLEX a server version (this could be integrated into the NAS app somehow) and a client so that you don't have to keep the main PC open when you are reading for another PC.

I know that this is a bit much I just wanted to share this ideas with you guys

A New Start 4 months 4 weeks ago #47598

• CollectorX
  • Fresh Boarder
Also, it wouldn't it be easier to mod the current application instead of starting from scratch? just asking

A New Start 4 months 3 weeks ago #47623

• krandor
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16
The main things for me.

1) smart lists. Use them heavily
2. Sync to iOS via smart list and being able to sync read/unread state back. I like to have a smartlkist for say 100 comics and once I read once and sync grab the next one that firs the criteria
3) Comicvine scaper
4) Duplicate manager - I often have several copies of the same comic on my NAS and don't mind but like to be able to purge all but the "best" one from the active library and not have t re-added on rescan (right now that is a multi-step process but works)

Nice to-have
1) A real real SQL database option
2) Comic streaming optons in addition to sync (not as a replace for though)
3) Ability to use cloud storage (but not only option)

A New Start 4 months 3 weeks ago #47624

• krandor
  • Gold Boarder
CollectorX wrote:
Also, it wouldn't it be easier to mod the current application instead of starting from scratch? just asking

Current project is closed source and only cyo has the code.

A New Start 4 months 3 weeks ago #47625

• krandor
  • Gold Boarder
jkthemac wrote:
If I could have my dream PC database program, it would use SQL properly. It would only load data as and when you need it and make use of a modern relational database structure for efficiency. I still suspect this was what brought development to a slowdown. The introduction of an SQL option suggested a better route but that new route necessitated a complete rewrite which was a potentially huge task for a program that had been built iteratively over the years.

The current architecture was showing issues as libraries got larger and I do agree that adding SQL was a good start in the right direction (and improved my performance a lot). However I'm sure a lot more work was needed to make it work really effiently.

A New Start 4 months 2 weeks ago #47718

• ClayM
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
Is there anything going on with this?

YACReader is nice, but it's development is pretty slow as well - last update was almost a year ago.
Time to create page: 0.216 seconds

Who's Online

We have 228 guests and 5 members online