Welcome, Guest
General discussion about ComicRack

TOPIC: A New Start

A New Start 6 months 10 hours ago #47815

• BoraBora
  • Fresh Boarder
ClayM wrote:
Is there anything going on with this?

YACReader is nice, but it's development is pretty slow as well - last update was almost a year ago.
There's a development releases topic in the forum with links to the latest builds. But I agree, development is still pretty slow. Sadly, being open source does'nt mean a project will be supported. YacReader has been going on for years and it still leaves a lot to be desired. As for creating a clone of CR from scratch, call me a pessimist but I don't think we should hold our breath.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

A New Start 5 months 3 weeks ago #47847

• krandor
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 21
BoraBora wrote:
ClayM wrote:
Is there anything going on with this?

YACReader is nice, but it's development is pretty slow as well - last update was almost a year ago.
There's a development releases topic in the forum with links to the latest builds. But I agree, development is still pretty slow. Sadly, being open source does'nt mean a project will be supported. YacReader has been going on for years and it still leaves a lot to be desired. As for creating a clone of CR from scratch, call me a pessimist but I don't think we should hold our breath.

That may be the first question to answer. Is it better to build something new from scratch or find something like YACReader with a decent base and work to add new features we like from CR onto it?

A New Start 5 months 3 weeks ago #47857

• Kreos
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
I'm not a programer, so I don't know which is easier, but I would think building off something existing would make more sense. If there is an open source program out there that already has the framework built, why not use it? But I guess that is assuming that what is out there has the capacity to support what we have come to expect from a comic reader/library program, and be able to implement changes based upon user requests and tech upgrades.

As for features I'd like to see:
1. Server-based mobile access. Having the ability to choose between a server and local content would be great.
2. Stronger/faster syncing. I have never had a lot of success with syncing, though it could be my tablet. Wired or WiFi, I am constantly having connection issues and it takes constant checking.
3. Sort name and Display name. I'd like to have the option that no matter how books are sorted, the display name is what shows (but have it default to sort name if there is nothing in the display field). Example: I don't want Superman: The Man of Steel to be sorted between Superman: Strength and Superman: True Brit. I want it to be between Superman: Lois and Clark and Superman: Metropolis, but I still want it to display as Superman: The Man of Steel. Or even better, I want volume 2 of Firestorm to stay together, but I still want the issues to display as Fury of Firestorm, Firestorm: The Nuclear Man, and Firestorm.
4. Multiple libraries. I know the case can be made that you do this with lists, but there are some books I just don't want in my core library. I can access them through the folders tab, but then they don't have the robust library features.
5. Library Organizer and ComicVine Scraper as integrated content. Much better when updates come around, since these seem to be integral part of many user's Wednesday rituals.
6. Better Custom Stack Thumbnails. I discovered there is an upper limit as to how many custom thumbs you can have active. After too many, the program can't handle them and removes older ones in favor of newer ones. And you have to manually assign, rather than have an automatic system. Perhaps having the ability to grab an image from the folder?
7. Option to have the default "top of stack" be either numerical OR chronological. Every time I make a new list, I have to go through and see which series are displaying the 0 issue instead of #1.

A New Start 2 months 1 week ago #48250

• alb123
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
It doesn't seem like there is much life left to this project. It's a shame...I'm currently using ComicRack as my digital comic organizer & reader. I'm very new to all of this, so I was hoping to find an active community since I'm sure I'll have several questions as I begin my journey into comic books.

Is there a community anyone knows of that focuses solely on comics & comic reader software? Something that's active, I mean...
Thanks.

A New Start 2 months 6 days ago #48258

• batmanraid
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Mac OS X version.

A New Start 2 months 6 days ago #48260

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 253
Perhaps pressing existing apps on platforms one wants to sync with would be better than redesigning ComicRack. For example if a server based implementation could read the SQL Database of ComicRack. That would potentially solve every problem.

Indeed anyone that understands how SQL works and is prepared to adapt an open source comic server to interact with the database would probably have a successful mobile app on their hands.
Last Edit: 2 months 6 days ago by jkthemac.
The following user(s) said Thank You: alb123

A New Start 2 months 2 days ago #48266

• solidus0079
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Hmm let's see. I rely on these features below, and to leave CR behind I'd need a replacement that does it also.

I use Comicrack's Comicvine Scraper plugin. Then I convert my books to WebP and zipped. Then I imbed the Comicvine data from the plugin. Then I use a library organizer plugin to move all the new books to my NAS in a folder hierarchy. (eg: //networkpath/DC Comics/Batman (2016)/Batman 01 (2016).cbz)

-So I would like something to scrape, and preferrably to read the data already embedded
-Something that can convert to webp as well as read it obviously.
-A file organizer feature
-7zip would be nice as well

Just what I would like. :)
Last Edit: 2 months 2 days ago by solidus0079.

A New Start 1 month 3 weeks ago #48278

• alb123
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I've only had a look at a couple of different Windows comic book organizers/readers. ComicRack is 100 times nicer than either of the other ones I looked at. I'm just surprised a project like this has been abandoned. I've just gotten into comics, so I don't know my arse from my elbow, but for some reason I thought this would be a hobby ripe with dozens of software applications and lots of forums active. I'm getting a bit better with using ComicRack smartlists, but I'm still nervous on how I should organize them. Oh, and I'm I have a lot of duplicate comics, but their filenames are different, so I need to figure that out too...I've been scraping like a madman lately using folder layout only to come across another folder somewhere of the same comics. Slow and steady wins the race. :laugh: Oh yeah, that ComicVine scraper tool is freakin' awesome, but boy can it be temperamental sometimes. :laugh: :)

A New Start 1 month 3 weeks ago #48279

• krandor
  • Gold Boarder
alb123 wrote:
I've only had a look at a couple of different Windows comic book organizers/readers. ComicRack is 100 times nicer than either of the other ones I looked at. I'm just surprised a project like this has been abandoned. I've just gotten into comics, so I don't know my arse from my elbow, but for some reason I thought this would be a hobby ripe with dozens of software applications and lots of forums active. I'm getting a bit better with using ComicRack smartlists, but I'm still nervous on how I should organize them. Oh, and I'm I have a lot of duplicate comics, but their filenames are different, so I need to figure that out too...I've been scraping like a madman lately using folder layout only to come across another folder somewhere of the same comics. Slow and steady wins the race. :laugh: Oh yeah, that ComicVine scraper tool is freakin' awesome, but boy can it be temIperamental sometimes. :laugh: :)

I suggest you grab the comic organizer guide you can find on these forums (don't have direct link handy). It will give you some good info on organizing and dealing with duplicates, etc.

To start with, if you don't have comicvine scraper get that.

but find that guide on here and read it and start there.

A New Start 1 month 3 weeks ago #48280

• krandor
  • Gold Boarder
alb123 wrote:
I've only had a look at a couple of different Windows comic book organizers/readers. ComicRack is 100 times nicer than either of the other ones I looked at. I'm just surprised a project like this has been abandoned. I've just gotten into comics, so I don't know my arse from my elbow, but for some reason I thought this would be a hobby ripe with dozens of software applications and lots of forums active. I'm getting a bit better with using ComicRack smartlists, but I'm still nervous on how I should organize them. Oh, and I'm I have a lot of duplicate comics, but their filenames are different, so I need to figure that out too...I've been scraping like a madman lately using folder layout only to come across another folder somewhere of the same comics. Slow and steady wins the race. :laugh: Oh yeah, that ComicVine scraper tool is freakin' awesome, but boy can it be temperamental sometimes. :laugh: :)

comicrack.cyolito.com/forum/38-tutorials...zer-2015-2nd-edition
Time to create page: 0.248 seconds

Who's Online

We have 260 guests and one member online