Welcome, Guest
General discussion about ComicRack

TOPIC: A New Start

A New Start 4 weeks 1 day ago #48296

• NoDruid
  • Fresh Boarder
It would be cool if you could post the repository-link here, once you have the project up and running. So we could give you feedback more directly. I know Github supports issues, which could help you with debugging with a larger testgroup.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

A New Start 4 weeks 1 day ago #48297

• krandor
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 21
perezmu wrote:
Hi

Thanks for the effort. I want to add my two cents to your approach. For your app (I am adressing desktop app here) to succeed you need to offer something’s that are missing (and missed) in comicrack

I’d love it to have an embedded comics server to read on mobile devices without need for specific apps or syncing. There are a few out there but they are standalone. I think a proper management tool like yours with the server would be killer.

I also miss in your core specs the ability to read/write comicinfo.xml files. That’s a way not to lose all the work already done in our collections

I agree with that. An server reader that would also then update read/unread status, etc would be great to have. I've looked at some of the web readers but since it doesn't update the read info and therefore update smartlists just too much work to be worthwhile for me.

A New Start 4 weeks 1 day ago #48301

• joaohkfaria
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
@NoDruid
It would be cool if you could post the repository-link here, once you have the project up and running. So we could give you feedback more directly. I know Github supports issues, which could help you with debugging with a larger testgroup.

Yeah! I'll post the repository here! Just wait until I have something for you to try and have some of the architecture built so other devs can contribute.

@perezmu
Thanks for the effort. I want to add my two cents to your approach. For your app (I am adressing desktop app here) to succeed you need to offer something’s that are missing (and missed) in comicrack
At the beginning I don't think that my app would be better than ComicRack, since CR has years of development. The advantage will be: It will receive updates and new features "forever". It'll be Open Source, so the community can contribute.
I’d love it to have an embedded comics server to read on mobile devices without need for specific apps or syncing. There are a few out there but they are standalone. I think a proper management tool like yours with the server would be killer.

What you mean about an "embedded comics server" without specific apps or syncing?

A New Start 4 weeks 1 day ago #48303

• krandor
  • Gold Boarder
joaohkfaria wrote:
@NoDruid

What you mean about an "embedded comics server" without specific apps or syncing?

I think what he is talking about is that if I have as server at home running and have your app currently running I can then connect to that server with a generic web browser and read comics that way. So no comics or client are on the client but it is simply accessing the server.

A New Start 4 weeks 1 day ago #48304

• joaohkfaria
  • Fresh Boarder
I think what he is talking about is that if I have as server at home running and have your app currently running I can then connect to that server with a generic web browser and read comics that way. So no comics or client are on the client but it is simply accessing the server.

Ok, now I got it. So, what I'm thinking is this:
- The desktop app will do the sync for you with your devices (Just select the device and sync, wireless). This will be totally free.

And I think I'll integrate a paid service for you to store your comics on the cloud and you will have a area where you can manage your comic books. And in your device you can download the comic books that are on your cloud library. This paid service is intended to maintain the app alive (no intention of profits).

A New Start 4 weeks 1 day ago #48305

• krandor
  • Gold Boarder
joaohkfaria wrote:

- The desktop app will do the sync for you with your devices (Just select the device and sync, wireless). This will be totally free.

And I think I'll integrate a paid service for you to store your comics on the cloud and you will have a area where you can manage your comic books. And in your device you can download the comic books that are on your cloud library. This paid service is intended to maintain the app alive (no intention of profits).

I like the idea of the cloud and syncing is by far my preferred way to do things. However, the advantage of also having an integrated server is that when I sync to device or to the cloud it is only a subset of my books. An integrated server allows access to my complete library if I'm where I have internet access so I can pull up something I didn't think to sync if for some reason I wanted to pull it up.

A New Start 4 weeks 1 day ago #48306

• boshuda
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
krandor wrote:
joaohkfaria wrote:

I like the idea of the cloud and syncing is by far my preferred way to do things. However, the advantage of also having an integrated server is that when I sync to device or to the cloud it is only a subset of my books. An integrated server allows access to my complete library if I'm where I have internet access so I can pull up something I didn't think to sync if for some reason I wanted to pull it up.
It could probably be simulated without requiring a full 'server' app rendering web pages and whatnot by having a browser in the app, even if all it does is grab the list of books available and allow sorting, searching, etc. That could potentially be handled with syncs to free cloud services like dropbox or something. Obviously ideally there would be a full server, but to get off the ground...

A New Start 4 weeks 1 day ago #48307

• joaohkfaria
  • Fresh Boarder
krandor wrote:

Yeah, but that's the intention of having a paid service, and the idea is that you can sync your ENTIRE library to the cloud. The app must have a way to survive to pay server costs, Apple and a bunch of things. If you guys have any other idea to make the app viable, I'l be glad to hear.

A New Start 4 weeks 1 day ago #48308

• krandor
  • Gold Boarder
joaohkfaria wrote:
krandor wrote:

Yeah, but that's the intention of having a paid service, and the idea is that you can sync your ENTIRE library to the cloud. The app must have a way to survive to pay server costs, Apple and a bunch of things. If you guys have any other idea to make the app viable, I'l be glad to hear.

For some libraries (like mine) that would be a LOT of storage. So is the price going to be per GB?

A New Start 4 weeks 1 day ago #48309

• joaohkfaria
  • Fresh Boarder
For some libraries (like mine) that would be a LOT of storage. So is the price going to be per GB?

Probably yes. I have no idea about pricing right now, but the plan is having plans like: 1GB, 10GB, 100GB, 1000GB.
Time to create page: 0.194 seconds

Who's Online

We have 246 guests and 8 members online