Welcome, Guest
General discussion about ComicRack

TOPIC: A New Start

A New Start 1 month 15 hours ago #48310

• joaohkfaria
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
At first I thought about receiving donations, but I don't think this will be stable. Then I thought about making a paid app, but since everyone bought, no more money comes in.

And then I thought: Make a totally free app, but people who wanna sync their comics in the cloud and don't want to worry about losing their data, sync reading state across all apps automatically can pay a monthly subscription.

But yet, the app will be open source. So, maybe, someone can build a "personal server" to do this (and that's totally cool).
The administrator has disabled public write access.

A New Start 1 month 14 hours ago #48311

• Xelloss
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 117
storing in a paid service comics which are 99% with copyright doesn't seem like a good idea XD

It's like Megaupload all over again :P
Last Edit: 1 month 14 hours ago by Xelloss.
The following user(s) said Thank You: krandor, alb123

A New Start 1 month 14 hours ago #48312

• krandor
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 21
Xelloss wrote:
storing in a paid service comics which are 99% with copyright doesn't seem like a good idea XD

I was thinking that but was wondering the best way to say it. Personally, I'd rather not copy my whole library to the cloud. I have it on a nice NAS and it would be nice to just be able to access that remotely.

That would be one feature that would be nice though. With CR you can only sync on the LAN. Allowing Sync to work over the internet (encrypted of course) would be a nice extra feature. Yes it would be slower then LAN.

A New Start 1 month 14 hours ago #48313

• Xelloss
  • Platinum Boarder
To tell the truth, I don't use the sync options much...

Usually I first read my comics (copying them directly to my Android cellphone the day they are released), and when I have some free time to sit at my computer at home I update my collection organizing all the files, adding the data, etc, etc etc...

So I usually read comics BEFORE using ComicRack in my pc (I use CR in Android as well, but with "raw files")

As I have a 32 GB sd card in my phone, I usually store all the comics I want to read there (usually the weekly releases I haven't read yet) and the read or old ones I am not planning to read are in my HDD in my pc. Lately as the unread comics reach the 400s I had to delete many comics from my cellphone and I will have to upload from my pc CR to my android CR when I decide to read them, but I think I will just copy the cbz files to the cellphone folder using export wuthout touching the sync options that give me more headaches than solutions...

In other words, I use my Android CR as a plain reader, and my PC CR as a way of having my collection organized... I rarely connect one to the other...

A New Start 1 month 14 hours ago #48314

• joaohkfaria
  • Fresh Boarder

Yeah, I was thinking about that too.. But different from MegaUpload you will be unable to share your library with others. It will work just like a Google Drive.

I'm sure that the app is legal (it doesn't provide any illegal content).

A New Start 1 month 14 hours ago #48315

• krandor
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 21
Xelloss wrote:

Usually I first read my comics (copying them directly to my Android cellphone the day they are released), and when I have some free time to sit at my computer at home I update my collection organizing all the files, adding the data, etc, etc etc...

So I usually read comics BEFORE using ComicRack in my pc (I use CR in Android as well, but with "raw files")

As I have a 32 GB sd card in my phone, I usually store all the comics I want to read there (usually the weekly releases I haven't read yet) and the read or old ones I am not planning to read are in my HDD in my pc. Lately as the unread comics reach the 400s I had to delete many comics from my cellphone and I will have to upload from my pc CR to my android CR when I decide to read them, but I think I will just copy the cbz files to the cellphone folder using export wuthout touching the sync options that give me more headaches than solutions...

I keep a lot of comics sorted into smartlists and pick the smartlists I want to sync (normally also with the "only unread") option and so I use sync heavily because I want them sorted and organized into the groups the way I have them sorted... lol. Then with only unread once I finish reading one next time I sync it's gone (and if it a only sync x number smartlist I'll get a new one synced over).

Everybody has their system. Smartlists and syncing is the one that works best for me.

A New Start 1 month 14 hours ago #48316

• Xelloss
  • Platinum Boarder
mmh... I don't think the law works that way XD

All the same, yes, it is a lot less dangerous if it cannot be used to share XD (like mail servers I think XD)

A New Start 1 month 14 hours ago #48317

• Xelloss
  • Platinum Boarder
krandor wrote:
Xelloss wrote:

I keep a lot of comics sorted into smartlists and pick the smartlists I want to sync (normally also with the "only unread") option and so I use sync heavily because I want them sorted and organized into the groups the way I have them sorted... lol. Then with only unread once I finish reading one next time I sync it's gone (and if it a only sync x number smartlist I'll get a new one synced over).

Everybody has their system. Smartlists and syncing is the one that works best for me.

I really tried that way for a long time... but many problems and bugs, and dificulties made it doesn't work for me... Perhaps if sync was easier and less buggy I would use it too... but I am quite happy with how I manage things with files XD (it happened the same for me with iTunes, I just don't like autosync systems XD)

what REALLY would be a great feature for me, would be to share collections with other people (not the files itselves, only the lists and titles). I really missed when comicrack online shared libraries worked D:

A New Start 1 month 14 hours ago #48318

• joaohkfaria
  • Fresh Boarder
Yeah, I'll dive into that later. This will be a future feature and I'm not worried about this right now. The goal is create the best Comic Book app and then we think a way to make the app sustainable! =D

A New Start 1 month 14 hours ago #48319

• Xelloss
  • Platinum Boarder
Of course! Baby steps first!

I am not going to say I will help diretly with this project, as I think it will take A LOT of time to work with it... But I can help with ideas, testing and minor developements if you want :)

When I started using COMICRACK I was a sysadmin in my daily job, but now (life ironies) I am working as a tester in IBM, so I have some experience in testing :P (to tell the truth I have more experience testing comicrack that I use at work that the other way around, but well... details... XD)
The following user(s) said Thank You: joaohkfaria
Time to create page: 0.191 seconds

Who's Online

We have 214 guests and 5 members online