Welcome, Guest
General discussion about ComicRack

TOPIC: A New Start

A New Start 3 weeks 5 days ago #48592

• Bart274
  • Fresh Boarder
@Boshuda
Thanks for the quick response. I'm not trying to rush you, just curious about the development as this thread was silent for a few weeks now. :-)

If I were you I would start with working on that Windows only version for the initial version and use sqlite as db as it is the easiest for people to install it.
In the future when the initial version is running, you could see on how to port it to other platforms as well and to see for other db support.
I think a small initial version would work well and can be improved later on.
One suggestion I might have is try to keep see if you can import the comicrack data into the new db so everyone would keep his smartlists and read status.
Last Edit: 3 weeks 5 days ago by Bart274.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

A New Start 3 weeks 5 days ago #48593

• boshuda
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 65
krandor wrote:
For myself I have no issues with a windows only version.

As for the database, I'd prefer mysql mainly because while I run CR on my desktop machine, I keep the database on my NAS so I have raid fault tolerance and all that. My NAS (synology) has a MySQL server you can install which is where I keep my CR DB. So on that note, I would make sure you have support for the DB being on a different system then CR itself. I would also sugggest going a step furthur then CR did and also keep smartlists, blacklist, etc. information in the SQL DB as well (but maybe in different tables) so you could do a fresh install of your program, point it to the SQL DB and have all the information there.

Yes, that notion is baked in there. Essentially, the database should be able to be removed and pulled over to any front-end and fully describe your collection. Including smart lists, reading lists, blacklists, etc. To point where you could even just use a standard command-line database interface to completely describe and interact with it.

A New Start 3 weeks 5 days ago #48594

• boshuda
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 65
Bart274 wrote:
@Boshuda
Thanks for the quick response. I'm not trying to rush you, just curious about the development as this thread was silent for a few weeks now. :-)

If I were you I would start with working on that Windows only version for the initial version and use sqlite as db as it is the easiest for people to install it.
In the future when the initial version is running, you could see on how to port it to other platforms as well and to see for other db support.
I think a small initial version would work well and can be improved later on.
One suggestion I might have is try to keep see if you can import the comicrack data into the new db so everyone would keep his smartlists and read status.

I didn't take your comment as anything. This isn't even my thread :laugh: . It's good to get poked periodically, as I have a tendency to bounce around a lot, and accomplish nothing all the way through to completion.

Comicrack importation is paramount, and that was a big part of what I was doing in C#. That code should still be usable, and could happily be a c# only project since it requires a working CR install. I can read the comics portion and splat them into comics objects in C#. But when I started pushing those objects back into my database the lack of full SQLite support in Entity Framework caused issues. It looked as though any changes to the DB or the objects that mapped to the DB would require a lot of fiddly nonsense that Entity Framework was supposed to deal with for me.

IDK, I think the database back-end API in QT5, with a CR-importer and a super-simple C# (Windows) front-end might be the way to go to get started. I was looking around as I was writing that ridiculous response up above and it looks like it might be possible to port Windows Visual Studio projects to Mac Visual Studio and with some reasonable planning keep both codebases in-line to facilitate Mac development. I may install the Mac virtual machine I found, and investigate that as a possible work flow. I really enjoy developing code in VS C# much more than QT5 and QT Creator, and I find development (particularly front end development) much, much faster in VS C#.

A New Start 3 weeks 5 days ago #48596

• Oberon1464
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
@Krandor,

Hi Krandor, I read you're using MySQL on your Synology NAS.
I planning to do this to but been looking for some documentation how to do this.
Could give me some pointers how to do this or where to look for more info?

Any suggestions would be appreciated :)

A New Start 3 weeks 5 days ago #48597

• ClayM
  • Senior Boarder
So I had given this some thought and here’s what I would do:

Clients: write in JavaScript, specifically React Native. This would give us pretty wide cross platform, across desktop and mobile. Don’t use QT5. Ick. JavaScript would also open the door to have more contributors.

Server: this can be written in anything. Can probably just be a REST service that spits out the .cbr and .cbz and maintains comic metadata. But I’d write it in JavaScript/React just to maintain my sanity.

As far as the database, you can probably just use sqlite3. Unless you have a huge user base, no need to use a big RDBMS.

The server side could run alongside a desktop install OR be deployed on another server.

A New Start 3 weeks 5 days ago #48601

• spynotebook
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14
I am a Linux and Mac user at home but keep a Win 7 VM for using Comic Rack on my linux server.

A New Start 3 weeks 4 days ago #48613

• krandor
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 21
Oberon1464 wrote:
@Krandor,

Hi Krandor, I read you're using MySQL on your Synology NAS.
I planning to do this to but been looking for some documentation how to do this.
Could give me some pointers how to do this or where to look for more info?

Any suggestions would be appreciated :)

Absolutely. On my synology I loaded the MariaDB and phpMyAdmin.

After you do this you have mySQL loaded and you follow the instructions here to setup CR with the new MySQL setup. comicrack.cyolito.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?...ng_a_shared_database

If you have any problems feel free to send me a message and I'll be glad to help.

A New Start 3 weeks 3 days ago #48619

• Oberon1464
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks Krandor for the info ! :)

A New Start 3 weeks 2 days ago #48623

• johnson_pw
  • Junior Boarder
Late to the party here but the most important aspects of ComicRack to me are in no particular order:
  • Can handle large Collections
  • SmartLists
  • Metadata scraping/aggregation
  • Custom data manipulation and Library Management
Third and fourth points there are currently provided by plugins: Comic Vine Scraper, Data Manager, Library Organizer, and Duplication Manager.

Wish list:
  • Server that can be read with web browser (effectively never read on my desktop)
  • Light footprint

A New Start 3 weeks 2 days ago #48626

• Wilber
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I seldom say anything, but am a big fan of ComicRack and follow the threads. That being said:

As a old developer from way back I would like everyone to keep in mind the many virtues of SQLite, particularly application independence from large backends.
It's light but robust and friendly across OS's.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ClayM
Time to create page: 0.521 seconds

Who's Online

We have 250 guests and 2 members online