Welcome, Guest
General discussion about ComicRack

TOPIC: A New Start

A New Start 3 weeks 1 day ago #48627

• Reducer
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Something I would like, that I have not seen mentioned before, is the possibility of storing the comic information in a sidefile, instead of inside the cbr or cbz archive. There are some communities that don't appreciate having the original file modified in anyway, they consider a comic file with the comicinfo.xml file in the archive as 'tainted.' Can you offer an option to this information in a file in the same directory with the same name of the comic archive? This would be in addition to storing it in a database as well.

Other programs, such as Ubooquity could be modified to support reading from this sidefile instead of reading the info. from a file in the archive.

Good luck with this project, I hope you have some result to share with us soon!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

A New Start 3 weeks 1 day ago #48628

• pueblo
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Reducer wrote:
Something I would like, that I have not seen mentioned before, is the possibility of storing the comic information in a sidefile, instead of inside the cbr or cbz archive. There are some communities that don't appreciate having the original file modified in anyway, they consider a comic file with the comicinfo.xml file in the archive as 'tainted.' Can you offer an option to this information in a file in the same directory with the same name of the comic archive? This would be in addition to storing it in a database as well.

Other programs, such as Ubooquity could be modified to support reading from this sidefile instead of reading the info. from a file in the archive.

Good luck with this project, I hope you have some result to share with us soon!

+1 for this!
I think the best way is like Adobe Lightroom/Picasa approach for photos. Keep original files intact and operate only on db and sidefiles.

A New Start 3 weeks 1 day ago #48629

• Kreos
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
Reducer wrote:

ComicRack does do this; or used to. You tell it not to modify the original file, and it stores it all info within ComicRack not the files. I originally had CR set up this way, and I hated it. I want the info stored in the file because there is no chance of the info file being lost by a corrupted CR database. If I transfer the comic to my laptop to enjoy, the info transfers, too. And you are expecting other programs like Uboquity to conform to this - which is not a guarantee.

Plus, I have no issue going in and modifying any cbz that isn't exactly as I want it (removing duplicated pages, re-aligning badly angled pages, color correcting, cropping pages that never were, etc). These comics are for me to enjoy. Are we now grading digital files like we grade actual comics ("This is a near mint copy of an Empire cbz. But notice the slight degradation of the 0s and 1s along the edges?" "An info file?! Why not put it in the spokes of a bike.")?

I also play with my action figures, btw.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Xelloss, Wilber, zigl00

A New Start 3 weeks 1 day ago #48630

• ClayM
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
Kreos wrote:
Plus, I have no issue going in and modifying any cbz that isn't exactly as I want it (removing duplicated pages, re-aligning badly angled pages, color correcting, cropping pages that never were, etc). These comics are for me to enjoy. Are we now grading digital files like we grade actual comics ("This is a near mint copy of an Empire cbz. But notice the slight degradation of the 0s and 1s along the edges?" "An info file?! Why not put it in the spokes of a bike.")?

Those communities are not especially concerned about "slight degradation of the 0s and 1s", it's more about sharing those files. If you operate in a sharing community that is distributed (dc++, torrent, etc), once you've changed that original file, even just a single bit, it's essentially become useless to share.

The fact that this existed in comicrack to begin with indicates it's something that should be considered.
Last Edit: 3 weeks 1 day ago by ClayM.

A New Start 3 weeks 1 day ago #48631

• pueblo
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Currently CR can write info directly to zip file or keep it only in database.
Both options are far from perfect. When you keep data only in database you can lose it when program hangs or you manually move files.
When you let CR to keep info inside cbz files, these files are updated each time you change something in metadata.
Personally I have 2 problems with this:
1. There was a time when updating cbz files could actually break them. Files were moved to tmp locations and were missing from library. This stopped when I disabled Auto-Update feature, but each time I do manual update I'm worrying that something could go wrong.
Other scarier example: When you update a file, CR is using its own directory as temp directory (at least in portable mode). Some time ago I was doing update on a lot of files simultaneously. CR was on my small ssd disk which filled up quickly and a large part of updated files were permanently deleted. Comic files were on network drive so no recycled bin. Other files were rewritten on disk so recovery tools didn't work. This could be fixed in CR but right now this program is abandonware.
2. Backup. I like to manage my collection and I change comics metadata very often. When you update a file it's a new file. When you do backup, it needs to be copied once again. If you versioning your backup, it takes a huge amount of space. And when you try to backup your library to cloud... Well, better don't change anything from that point ;)
If metadata would be kept in small .info or .xml file alongside original cbr/cbz file there would be no such problems.
But that's just my 2 cents ;)

A New Start 3 weeks 1 day ago #48632

• boshuda
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 65
I think an xml file alongside the original file is a perfectly reasonable alternative to embedding the info inside the comic archive in some fashion. It would/could have the same name as the original file, but with .xml slapped on the end. Apps could then read the metadata without needing to deal with decompression libraries. Obvious problem is keeping those files in sync and attached to the original comic archive.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ClayM

A New Start 3 weeks 1 day ago #48633

• ClayM
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
If you think side files are a good idea, please chime in on this Ubooquity issue

ubooquity.userecho.com/forums/1-general/...f-file/#comment-3587
Time to create page: 0.194 seconds

Who's Online

We have 253 guests and 2 members online