Welcome, Guest
General discussion about ComicRack
  • Page:

TOPIC: Am I the only one?

Am I the only one? 1 month 4 days ago #47864

• Fuzzyluzzi
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 42
Am I the only one that still finds Comicrack for both windows and android extremely useful and don't wish it to be upgraded? I know I'm running it on an old Win 7 computer that I use to house the rest of my media, it's media after all. I know I'm running it on Android and don't care about it looking like all the other apps. What I care about is functionality. And for me, both the windows and android version both still function. I can understand why the IOS users are upset. I get that. They are about to lose functionality. That doesn't make the program DEAD. Just their portion of it.

I am thankful to CYO and all the developers of scripts that have made this DATABASE program one of the most useful that I use. I often compared it to Calibre, the DATABASE program for books or MediaMonkey for Music/Movies.

[u]IF[/u] I was ever forced to use another program I would either modify either of those or make my own simple OpenOffice database off the existing SQL or XML one that is provided to us.

Thank you CYO for creating a program on your own free time, with limited resources that the community could use as long as they have. I'm assuming most here don't want to jump to another program because of how well you initially designed it. Hope you enjoy time with your friends and family.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Reason

Am I the only one? 1 month 4 days ago #47867

• spynotebook
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 13
If no new features were added but someone could recompile the code into a 64bit app for iOS, I would be content.
The following user(s) said Thank You: riddlemethis

Am I the only one? 1 month 4 days ago #47868

• romsnesrom
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11
Fuzzyluzzi wrote:
Am I the only one that still finds Comicrack for both windows and android extremely useful and don't wish it to be upgraded?

There are two separate questions here:
1 - You are NOT the only one that still finds ComicRack extremely useful. If that was the case people would not be in this forum anymore.
2 - You probably are with a minority if you truly do not wish it to be upgraded. Understanding the situation and realizing that it probably will not happen is one thing. Not wishing for it is another. CR is so great that it would probably take a long time for a new program to equal or surpass it, but until then the CR code ages.
Last Edit: 1 month 4 days ago by romsnesrom. Reason: formatting quote

Am I the only one? 1 month 4 days ago #47869

• riddlemethis
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
spynotebook wrote:
If no new features were added but someone could recompile the code into a 64bit app for iOS, I would be content.

Exactly. This is what is needed.

I don't need new features on the Windows version but rather tightening the code bit. The only other thing that may be useful is a change to SQL.

Am I the only one? 1 month 3 days ago #47874

• krandor
  • Gold Boarder
romsnesrom wrote:
Fuzzyluzzi wrote:
Am I the only one that still finds Comicrack for both windows and android extremely useful and don't wish it to be upgraded?

There are two separate questions here:
1 - You are NOT the only one that still finds ComicRack extremely useful. If that was the case people would not be in this forum anymore.
2 - You probably are with a minority if you truly do not wish it to be upgraded. Understanding the situation and realizing that it probably will not happen is one thing. Not wishing for it is another. CR is so great that it would probably take a long time for a new program to equal or surpass it, but until then the CR code ages.

I am in this category. I still enjoy the functionality as is and don't want or plan to switch to something else. However, the iOS 11 issue is going to be a problem. I'm going to hold out as long as I can on upgrading but will eventually have to most likely.

I would though like to see some upgrades especially with SQL DB work.

So I still find it very useful as it, but would like to see some updates.

Am I the only one? 1 month 3 days ago #47875

• krandor
  • Gold Boarder
spynotebook wrote:

bingo

Am I the only one? 1 month 3 days ago #47876

• Kreos
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
I'm going to use it for as long as possible. I love it.

Having said that, it is aging and the issues of compatibility are going to increase. So I don't think it is an issue of people wanting to replace it, but rather saddened by the likelihood of having to replace it.

As for changes to the actual program: If they never happen, oh well. But if CR is updated for tech compatability, my hope is it would be a catalyst to update other things, too. I don't think there is anyone who wants it redone to the point that it isn't recognizable as ComiCrack. But there have been plenty of suggestions for improvements that would make CR better at what it already does.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Reason, Xelloss

Am I the only one? 1 month 1 day ago #47891

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 242
Kreos wrote:
I'm going to use it for as long as possible. I love it.

Having said that, it is aging and the issues of compatibility are going to increase. So I don't think it is an issue of people wanting to replace it, but rather saddened by the likelihood of having to replace it.

As for changes to the actual program: If they never happen, oh well. But if CR is updated for tech compatability, my hope is it would be a catalyst to update other things, too. I don't think there is anyone who wants it redone to the point that it isn't recognizable as ComiCrack. But there have been plenty of suggestions for improvements that would make CR better at what it already does.

I agree with your sentiment. Although for me it is not dead in the slightest anyway because my ipad is not compatible with iOS 10 let alone any newer version. So I end up with the best of both worlds, and HD screen and compatibility maintained! Also I fail to see how a PC app can be dead just because it isn't working on new iPads. Yes I would like it to work on that platform but that is only a portion of users not all of them.

Am I the only one? 4 weeks 1 day ago #47894

• Reason
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I plan to use this program as long as it works in Windows. I also use the paid app on my phone and Tablet ( Android). Even if they stop working on the mobiles I can switch them and still keep it on my desktop. My only concern is if Windows breaks it somehow. I did just upgrade to Windows 10 Creator version, and turned off Hardware Acceleration because I thought I read something about that. However I'd love to be able to turn that back on.

Am I the only one? 4 weeks 1 day ago #47895

• spynotebook
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 13
Reason wrote:
My only concern is if Windows breaks it somehow.

I run mine in a Windows 7 VM that I haven't updated in a while. I'm never even going to let it know later versions of Windows exist.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.303 seconds

Who's Online

We have 379 guests and 2 members online