Welcome, Guest
General discussion about ComicRack

TOPIC: File Naming Conventions - Best Practices for Digital Comics

File Naming Conventions - Best Practices for Digital Comics 2 months 1 week ago #47956

Hey all

I am about to undertake a huge project in naming, tagging, and organizing a giant collection of digital comics.

Curious as to what kinds of naming conventions you guys are using for your file names...
I have a pretty good idea how I want to organize the folders and tags but I am not sold just yet on how to name the individual files.

Also - is there a file name format where other programs can read the info a certain way to auto-create tags?
For example - if the file name was...

Marvel - Iron Man - Vol 2 - (1996) - # 12.cbz OR Marvel_Iron_Man_Vol_2_1996_#_12.cbz (or whatever)

Is there a program that might create tags for series, volume, year, issue # based on the file name itself?
... and mine is just an example... if there is THE STANDARD for doing it, please help educate me... I am new to all this.

Any info you guys could pass along as to your best practices in managing your own collections would be greatly appreciated.
Mostly curious what you all are using for your file names to give me some options to think about.

Cheers everyone!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

File Naming Conventions - Best Practices for Digital Comics 2 months 1 week ago #47957

• Fuzzyluzzi
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 42
Sorry to say i can't help you on best practices on how the name might interact with other programs. I just use the default settings in Library Organizer.

File Naming Conventions - Best Practices for Digital Comics 1 month 3 weeks ago #48042

• romsnesrom
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
Some years ago I engaged some few scanners and releasers in order to try to agree on a default naming scheme for comic files, but while they seemed to care about it, nobody I talked to was particularly willing to change their naming schemes yet. I personally think it would be a great thing to actually succeed on achieving a de facto good (it does not need to be perfect ) naming convention, but I lack the connections to make it happen.

I initially favored

Title number (vol or series begin year_actual release or printed release date) [scan info] {Scanners/Groups}

Something like:

The Incredible Hulk 12 (1997_1998-05-21) [c2c_36p] {BumblebeeMan} or
Uncanny X-Men 612 (Vol.3_2015-05) [digital_4 covers] {The Hand_Empire} or
Staccato 03 (1950_1951-May-Jun) [damaged cover_4 microfiche fills] {a Noony Moose}

Mind you my comic files are not named that way. Since nobody could agree I usually do not rename the files at all. "Everything" locate the files for me, the rest is done using CV metadata inside CR.

File Naming Conventions - Best Practices for Digital Comics 1 month 3 weeks ago #48052

• krandor
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 13
For mine I've started to use.

Series - Number (padded 3 characters) - Year - Format - Scanner - {CVDB#}

My main change is the addinb of CVDB and that is because we have seen cases where a company releases multple volumes in the same year and I don't want to run the risk of the other information matching two different comics so by adding CVDB I remove any possibility of that. It is not likely to happen, but possible and a quick add of CVDB to elimiate it I like for my personal collection.
The following user(s) said Thank You: perezmu

File Naming Conventions - Best Practices for Digital Comics 1 month 1 week ago #48067

• perezmu
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
I like this solution, adding the CVDB# for the series!

I was looking into converting "Series (Year)" into "Series (Start_Year - End_Year)", but this seems like a awful lot of work, and not fail proof. I love your idea!

Cheers!

File Naming Conventions - Best Practices for Digital Comics 1 month 1 week ago #48069

• romsnesrom
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
No idea so far is fail proof. I hesitate to include CVDB because there is no guarantee it will remain the same (Gamestop could change the whole scheme at any minute with no warning) and there is some amount of change within the DB. By the other hand we have no consensus unique identifier (barcode?) .

File Naming Conventions - Best Practices for Digital Comics 4 hours 33 minutes ago #48219

• funscience
  • Fresh Boarder
I appreciate everything you have added to my knowledge base.Admiring the time and effort you put into your blog and detailed information you offer.Thanks.
science project ideas for kids
Time to create page: 0.370 seconds

Who's Online

We have 307 guests and 3 members online