Welcome, Guest
General discussion about ComicRack
  • Page:

TOPIC: Adventures of a n00b

Adventures of a n00b 1 month 2 days ago #48328

• alb123
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I've got both the 6th Edition Manual & The Organizer .pdf files open. I've read most of the manual, but I'm starting over again. I know I'll probably have questions here or there. I had a 1.7TB collection of comics dumped onto my lap (100,405 files) and I had never read a comic book in my life - though I always wanted to. I have a 500,000 song MediaMonkey database organized well, so now it's time to do the comics. Plus, I get the added bonus of reading these things. :P I know the forum isn't very active and I didn't want to start a new thread every time I had a head scratcher. I hope this is okay and I hope a few people decide to laugh at me, but help me too!! ;)

Questions: Right away in the beginning of the manual is an explanation of the differences between file types. I see .CBZ can write metadata directly to the file while .CBR can not. There is, however, an explanation about how .CBR files technically can store metadata & yadda yadda. Should I convert all .CBR files to .CBZ files (or .CB7)? If I have scraped .CBR files already will converting them to .CBZ move the metadata into the archive or do I need to re-scrape once converted?
Last Edit: 1 month 2 days ago by alb123. Reason: added second question
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Adventures of a n00b 1 month 1 day ago #48330

• Xelloss
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 117
To tell you the truth i have worked with comic files a lot for a while now, years, written scripts and all, and just recently read in a topic about the differences you mention... (for me cbz was for zip, cbr for rar, and cbt for tar, and no more than that). Indeed till recently I used to convert all my comics to cbt to separate exported comics from unexported ones (comicrack reformat and standarize the file format when you export comics to other or the same file format, which is good for having your comics well formated). Now I changed everything to cbz because a script I have been working on that find duplicate pages in comics works with file crcs which tar files dont have.

All this to ask where is that pdf you mention, I should have read it years ago XD

About what you asked, I think the problem with cbr files in Comicrack is that rar format is Copyrighted so cyo couldnt add the option to edit this files content inside the program... (or that is what I undertood). You can read them, but not edit or export to this format from inside CR. As comics info are stored inside an xml file inside the comic file, it is imposible to add this info inside the comic file. However I think it manage in some way to store this data all the same, but I undertand with limits in how it does it.

So my recomendation is, export all to cbz, you will save yourself many problems, and everything will be "cleaner" (even already cbz files)
Last Edit: 1 month 1 day ago by Xelloss.

Adventures of a n00b 1 month 1 day ago #48331

• Xelloss
  • Platinum Boarder
About already completed data, when you export files, if you use the "replace comics in library", all the comic data, even the data not saved in files will pass to the new ones.

If you instead export as new books in the library, only data stored in files will pass to new files (everything but some things as custom values, read status, tags, etc). Still, most scraped data, the importan data, will not only pass to new files but stored inside it in a more organized way inside this files (at least if you have store data inside book files enable)

Usually my last step in completing my comic file organizing is export comic file to cbz format (even cbz files) for this reason. JUST Remember to use "replace in library" option to not losing custom values, tags and other minor thing...
Last Edit: 1 month 1 day ago by Xelloss.

Adventures of a n00b 1 month 1 day ago #48347

• alb123
  • Fresh Boarder
I don't know if you were kidding about knowing where that PDF file is... The thread is: comicrack.cyolito.com/forum/32-news-and-...icrack-manual-6th-ed

The download link is: http://www.mediafire.com/download/2r0mfrz33rnhba7/ComicRack_Manual_(6th_Ed).pdf
Last Edit: 1 month 1 day ago by alb123.

Adventures of a n00b 1 month 1 day ago #48350

• Xelloss
  • Platinum Boarder
alb123 wrote:
I don't know if you were kidding about knowing where that PDF file is... The thread is: comicrack.cyolito.com/forum/32-news-and-...icrack-manual-6th-ed

The download link is: http://www.mediafire.com/download/2r0mfrz33rnhba7/ComicRack_Manual_(6th_Ed).pdf

NO, I was not XD. I found it yesterday all the same! (it was easy knowing what to look for :P)

Thanks!

Adventures of a n00b 1 month 1 day ago #48354

• alb123
  • Fresh Boarder
Oh okay...I saw that you found the other PDF I was talking about - the Library Organzier PDF. I saw your message from yesterday in that thread. :) But, for any other newbies following along, Download this pdf in addition to the 6th Edition Manual pdf that I posted in my previous post. Thread is: Read Me! :-) if you just need the direct download link for the Organizer it is: Download Me! :-)

Oh fantastic. It's saying my Database is corrupted and it's making a new empty db. Thank god I made a backup 3 weeks ago...or, maybe it doesn't even matter. Maybe I should stop what I'm doing - read those pdf's until I'm blue in the face and start from square one.

The way I was doing it was: I had a folder called "Comics & Magazines" and I dumped about 50 folders in there. Folders named like "Batman Collection", "Batman_n_Harley Quinn", "The Activity", "Marvel Classic Universe 2009" , "Marvel Classic Universe 2010" and so on. No rhyme or reason, but I think I'll be running a script that's going to clean up a lot of that nonsense.

In folder view I would click one of those folders and select Add to Library. Then I would select about 50 or 60 comics and run the ComicVine scraper.and repeat until I got that folder all scraped. I know there are duplicates - probably hundreds - but I believe I can take care of that in a not so difficult way at a different time. The ComicVine scraper isn't 100% idiot proof yet and I often have poorly named files. Get 60+ of those in a row and I want to throw my laptop against the wall.

Adventures of a n00b 4 weeks 1 day ago #48362

• krandor
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 21
alb123 wrote:
I've got both the 6th Edition Manual & The Organizer .pdf files open. I've read most of the manual, but I'm starting over again. I know I'll probably have questions here or there. I had a 1.7TB collection of comics dumped onto my lap (100,405 files) and I had never read a comic book in my life - though I always wanted to. I have a 500,000 song MediaMonkey database organized well, so now it's time to do the comics. Plus, I get the added bonus of reading these things. :P I know the forum isn't very active and I didn't want to start a new thread every time I had a head scratcher. I hope this is okay and I hope a few people decide to laugh at me, but help me too!! ;)

Questions: Right away in the beginning of the manual is an explanation of the differences between file types. I see .CBZ can write metadata directly to the file while .CBR can not. There is, however, an explanation about how .CBR files technically can store metadata & yadda yadda. Should I convert all .CBR files to .CBZ files (or .CB7)? If I have scraped .CBR files already will converting them to .CBZ move the metadata into the archive or do I need to re-scrape once converted?

So to answer some questions you had

1. Yes convert all to cbz
2. As for writing the data, if the files are cbr the metadata info is in the comicrack DB so even if you convert you'll still have it in there and won't need to re-scrape..
3. To get the data into the cbz file you have two options. You can set an option in preferences to automatically save the data to the file anytime there is a change. Personally I don't use this. I prefer the manual approach. So when you change data in a cbz and it is unsaved you'll get a little orange gear icon in the state column on the far left (left of queue position number). So save it right click and then go to "update book files" which will have the same orange gear icon beside it. I like to be able to edit stuff without the delay of auto-update and then when I finish I can highlight a bunch, tell it to update and walk away while it does it.

Adventures of a n00b 4 weeks 1 day ago #48364

• alb123
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you for the suggestions @Krandor. I used the nuclear option yesterday. I deleted the database to start completely fresh. I now see that I didn't have to, but que sera sera. A lesson learned. I am going through the comic folders that I currently have and I'm converting all .CBR to .CBZ... I'm sure it will take me a good deal of time to do this, but I'll be much better off.

I'm sure there are many, many people who come up with their own comic organizing system and that's cool. But, it does make me scratch my head when trying to use those files in a ComicRack/ComicVine tagged & sorted system. I can't help but think, when I look at the core folder of my comics, "why did they do it this way?"

For instance, there were be some files that are named something like, "Superman 001.cbr", "Superman 002.cbr" ..... "Superman 200.cbr" (I'm just making these up for the sake of my argument). When I try to scrape all 200 of those files the ComicVine plugin might auto-recognize what series that is and start filling the info for me. Or, it might pop up a list of Superman titles - I'll select the correct one and the Comic Vine scraper is smart enough to continue automatically for the remaining 199 comics. Awesome.

But then I'll have a directory filled with 600 files with names like "001 Superman #48". "002 Batman #18", "003 Superman #49", "004 Batman #19" -- something like that, or "001 Batman with Joker", "002 Batman with Joker", "003 Batman with Joker" or even "Batman with Joker 1", "Batman with Joker 2", etc...etc.. Well, Comic Vine doesn't like that, obviously. so I am stuck doing the scraping manually. I'll sort them so I can do all the Superman or Batman w/Joker comics at the same time, but it's still a pain in the butt because I have to manually hit OK every time Comic Vine offers a suggestion.

Again. I know the examples I provided were terrible. I'm trying to do this from memory as I'm not in front of the computer. I'm sure scraping entire collections from scratch that are large, like what I'm facing, is going to be tedious work no matter how you look at it...I just kind of get a kick out of reading something like The Organization PDF file that says something along the lines of, "in the beginning just dump all your comics into 1 folder. Run the Comic Vine scraper. Next, run the Data Manager plugin..." The first time I read that I was left with the feeling I'd have everything scraped and ready for organizing in a day or two. The reality is far, far worse. Don't get me wrong...I am thrilled for the Comic Vine scraper script. I'm trying to do every single comic by hand? I wouldn't even bother... :laugh: :woohoo:

Adventures of a n00b 4 weeks 1 day ago #48365

• krandor
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 21
First, if you download and use the lists that come with the organizer it will create a bunch of smarts for you like "01 - convert cbr to cbz" that will have just the files to convert, etc. I use that and it works very well since it lists smatlists in the order you should run through them having just the comics that need the next step. Something to look at if you didn't imprort those smartlists.

As for CV Scrper, you are right it does the best it can but can't deal with everything. The numbers at the start are one of the worst. One thing you can do to make it a little better if you have a bunch like that is go on and edit the series title to be say "Batman" and commit that (and only that) then run it through the scraper and now the scraper will search for Batman and not "01 batman". Sometimes that can be quicker the manually doing each comic.

My big pet peeve lately is the odd numbering from Marvel. They name some issues not issue 1 or 2, but things like issue 1.MU. Needless to say, scaper doesn't match that well at all and those almost have to be done manually.

Once you get a handle on the basics, you may want to go read through some of the CV Scaper forum thread since it has a lot of tips and tricks in it.

Adventures of a n00b 4 weeks 1 day ago #48366

• alb123
  • Fresh Boarder
Ahhh yes.. I have encountered 1.MU and 1.AU. I'm going to try those lists that the Organizer script comes with.

I learned a very valuable lesson - n00bs take notice - be careful with how many .CBR files you try to rename at once (in one batch). If you select too many, you will return to your computer and see a Windows dialogue box stating memory is dangerously low and programs need to be closed. Explorer.exe will be using Gigabytes of RAM - you'll need to kill Explorer.exe and Run a new Explorer.exe task once you close any background running programs. EDIT: Remember to empty your Recycle Bin after each batch or two of .CBR to .CBZ conversions. Each file it "converts" has its .CBR copy dumped into the Recycle Bin, so it fills fast!

I'm in a bit of a pickle. Every single comic that I have sits on my File Server/HTPC/Torrent Box "Pinky". I installed Comic Rack on my laptop, which is my main computer. Ideally, I was hoping to have Pinky contain the main database of comics, just in case I decide one day that I'd like to start running Comic Rack on my Desktop Computer (Computer #3) or from any of several Android devices in the house.

I'm currently running JRiver for the Home Theater PC, but I also have JRiver on the laptop and desktop computers. Each computer/Tablet has it's DB file, but JRiver is clever and it keeps track of syncing - the database on Pinky is boss. Any changes I do to it from my laptop or desktop front end will end up on all computers. Question: Is it better to have 1 main ComicRack Database central to all household PC's and Tablets? Or, do you recommend that each device has their own ComicRack database?
Last Edit: 4 weeks 1 day ago by alb123.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.245 seconds

Who's Online

We have 262 guests and 3 members online