Welcome, Guest
General discussion about ComicRack

TOPIC: Moving Files to Another Computer

Moving Files to Another Computer 9 months 2 weeks ago #49306

• ulrickai
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi guys, I'm not too sure to what extent this question has been answered so sorry if all the questions I'm about to ask has been answered. Just link me to the post that answers them if it is the case.

So I intend to move all my files to another hard drive so I can use my other computer as a media machine. My issues Is I've tried to tediously organize my files into smart list so losing those would make it quite difficult to reorganize them. One of my smart list is also uses my ratings to sort out some of the files. So my question is, is it possible to transfer over smart list and ratings? I think I'm more concerned about being able to transfer over my ratings since I can always re-sort my other files with by making more smart list in my other computer but the smart list tied to ratings will be harder to remake without my ratings transferring over from my machines.

Thanks for the help
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Moving Files to Another Computer 9 months 2 weeks ago #49307

• krandor
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 34
I’m assuming you are not using sql. If correct you’ll need the comic rack.ini and comicrack.xml files to move over.

If the drive letter is going to change you might need to edit the files to reflect new location. If drive letter is same move those files and you are good.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ulrickai

Moving Files to Another Computer 9 months 2 weeks ago #49310

• ulrickai
  • Fresh Boarder
All the xml files in Appdata? Also, since it would be a different drive, what exactly do I have to edit to change to the new location?

Moving Files to Another Computer 9 months 2 weeks ago #49313

• boshuda
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 86
Before playing around with anything I recommend moving your %appdata%\cYo\ComicRack directory and C:\Program Files\ComicRack directory to a safe location. That way you can recover anything that is messed up by trying things out.

You're pulling the comics from your current computer onto a new hard drive attached to that computer, so you can then put that attached hard drive into a different computer? And then you would retire the current computer from use for ComicRack? Ideally, you would use ComicRack itself to move the files. Library Organizer would help transfer the file location in Comic Rack, while also copying the files.

However, if you move your entire install to another computer, but you still keep the same drive letters you should be able to just bring your %appdata%\cYo\ComicRack directory over. You might also want to bring your C:\Program Files\ComicRack directory over also, then do a reinstall to get the registry hooks back in place. Then when you bring your actual comic library over ComicRack will still look in the same directory location.

The files that krandor referred to are the comicrack.ini has some things that you might want to modify, like the cache and temp locations. But that might be fine as is. The dbpath location can also be modified if you're putting that comicdb.xml file in a new location. By default CR looks in the %appdata%\cYo\ComicRack directory for the comicdb.xml file.

What you'll need to manually update is the path location in the comicdb.xml file. That's what tells ComicRack the full path of your comic file. That's also what has your smart lists and other information. Essentially if you change the directory of your comic files you'll need to do a 'find and replace' on the comicdb.xml file to replace the old location with the new location. It can be too large to modify in an editor, though, and might require a different method to do a find and replace. If that doesn't help or makes things as clear as mud, put with a painful amount of detail what you're trying to do, and we'll try to help you out. Depending on what you're trying to accomplish there are a few different paths to take and some might work better than others.

If possible, leave your original install completely intact until you're sure you're happy with the new location. And copy those two folders to a backup location and pretty much everything can be recovered.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ulrickai

Moving Files to Another Computer 9 months 1 week ago #49314

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 267
It is worth noting you can use search and replace on file locations within comicrack too. So you can move the entire folder anywhere and then:

Select every book in your library in one go,
right-click > Automation > Search and Replace...
Select File Path.
Replace old path with new path.

No messing with editing raw files.
This also has the advantage that you can move some files to one location and others elsewhere
Last Edit: 9 months 1 week ago by jkthemac.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rmagere, ulrickai

Moving Files to Another Computer 9 months 1 week ago #49315

• ulrickai
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for the help guys! After finding out what files xml files I needed I did find a simple enough solution, though I feel like it might make some problems for others that aren't using the same smart list types... maybe? Not too sure how this works. So anyway, I'll mention what I did and how it worked in case someone has a similar problem and setup for their Comicrack. To start (which I feel as if I should have mentioned), my Smart list are based off File Directory and another on Ratings. I simply moved the xml files to the new ComicRack installation. Since at the time, this was a test, I moved one of the folders that had my some of my files into my external. I then opened Comicrack and edited the Book Folders directory, under Libraries in Preference to the new folder where I sent my old comics. I then edited the Smart List to look at a different File Directory where the files were and done, it reads with all it's ratings and arrangements like it were the old installation. And since it's recognized my ratings, the Smart List tied by ratings is also sorted.

Again, not too sure if this method will work for everyone but this worked pretty well for me for now. Thanks again for the help!
Time to create page: 0.305 seconds

Who's Online

We have 219 guests and no members online