Welcome, Guest
General discussion about ComicRack

TOPIC: Reading remotely on Windows 10

Reading remotely on Windows 10 1 year 2 months ago #50070

• s36x
  • Fresh Boarder
I feel like what I am trying to to do should be easy, but I have had no luck.
All of my comics are stored on my home computer. Comicvine metadata scraped, all in CBZ format. They're all in folders (Marvel & DC then folders by series).
I want to read them remotely on my Surface. I use comicrack but touch controls suck so I am looking for something else. And, I have found the server from comicrack to be unreliable.
Big problem, apparently, is I want to read them chronologically (oldest to newest). Nothing but comicrack seems to be able to figure out this seemingly simple display which is frustrating.
I have tried setting up a ubooquity server, which works sort of but chronologically displaying the files doesn't work right (seems to display title first instead of date)
I have scoured Google and come up empty. I know there has to be a way to remotely display comics chronologically, and read them on Windows 10 I just cannot seem to crack the code.
Apparently if I had an iPad, Chunky would do this in 5 seconds flat but that is not and option so what is the solution? Why isn't there an app/program for Windows that can access comic files on a remote server and display them in the way I want? Every app I find is either incapable of the display format I want, can't access remote files or both. And I have tried EVERYTHING I can think of (Ubooquity and ComicRack as mentioned. Plus every comic app on the windows store and a few not, along with filezilla, and teamviewer file sharing which is very slow)

I'm not super tech savvy but I am willing to try (although I think I really messed something up when I tried to use samba)

I feel like this shouldn't be this hard.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Reading remotely on Windows 10 1 year 2 months ago #50072

• Targg
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11
Unless I am misunderstanding you, Comicrack's Android app does this just fine, you just need to have the comics in a reading list.

For example, I have a reading list of all unread Marvel comics that I sync to my Android tablet. I can click on the reading list on the left, and at the top (where the name of your list is), you can touch the name to sort by series, story line, published, or filename. If you choose "published," then all the comics on that list go into chronological order, based on the publication date you have in ComicRack.

Is that what you were looking for, or something different?

Reading remotely on Windows 10 1 year 2 months ago #50073

• s36x
  • Fresh Boarder
Yes exactly. Except not on Android, on Windows. Without using the comicrack desktop app. I don't have a useful Android tablet, and don't want to read on my phone. I need to find a way to do this on my surface.

Reading remotely on Windows 10 1 year 2 months ago #50074

• Targg
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11
Alas, I have used a lot of programs for comics on Windows, but none of them do what you are asking. The only thing I can recommend is perhaps an android emulator on your Surface (not sure how it would perform).

Reading remotely on Windows 10 1 year 2 months ago #50075

• s36x
  • Fresh Boarder
It doesn't work. Tried it several different ways.

I genuinely cannot believe I'm the only person who wants this as it seems like such a standard display option.

Very disappointing. Like delete my library because it's effectively unsuable disappointing.

I'll keep try to find a fix but thanks for confirming what I had found, that what I want is impossible.

Reading remotely on Windows 10 1 year 2 months ago #50077

• rmagere
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
I have been in the same boat - I still have my old android tablet that I use - however I would like to switch my reading to my surface and ideally be able to sync to a "android like" experience from either the windows version of comicrack sitting on the surface or the one sitting on another laptop I have.

I thought potentially running comicrack android via emulator could be a solution. Some people seem to have managed to do so in this thread (comicrack.cyolito.com/forum/9-feature-re...s-running-bluestacks) - however I tried to follow the instructions but failed.

If you are able to make it work would love to hear :)
Time to create page: 0.176 seconds

Who's Online

We have 95 guests and no members online