Welcome, Guest
General discussion about ComicRack

TOPIC: A post-CR world discussion (no, I do not have answers)

A post-CR world discussion (no, I do not have answers) 11 months 3 weeks ago #50078

• romsnesrom
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
/*DISCLAIMER - I am not a coder. I am simply offering food for thought in my well-meaning, ignorant way*/

In a world where CR is slowly breaking with no signs of getting better (does someone else find it weird that cYo is still paying for the hosting?), there are a lot of us looking for alternatives. Some even stepped up and are coding alternatives themselves, like joaohkfaria, boshuda, and mcpierce.
While there are programs with some of the desired features, to the best of my knowledge none of them is a clear-cut substitute yet. My view of the problem is that CR is a huge pair of shoes to fill. It is great and the plugins make it over the top.
Using the commonly mentioned feature requests in posts about new projects I think it is possible to group the desired functions into a few categories:

- Managing library (metadata and files)
- Media serving/sharing
- Creating Lists/Reading comics

From a management perspective (with the ultimate goal of filling the needs of the users) maybe it would be useful to split the features in different projects since these categories do not seem to overlap much. Maybe there are already programs out there that can replace some CR features.

So what do you guys think? Is this a viable approach? Is any group of features left out? Any groups that should be merged or split? Are there already programs out there that fill one or more of the categories above for you?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

A post-CR world discussion (no, I do not have answers) 11 months 2 weeks ago #50079

• rmagere
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
romsnesrom wrote:
- Managing library (metadata and files)
- Media serving/sharing
- Creating Lists/Reading comics

I would have a marginally different aggregation:
  • Managing library (metadata, files, list creation). Ideally in a robust way (e.g. native sql for even beginners) while not modifying the files (e.g. metadata for each file store additionally in the same location as the file -> this would allow rebuilding the library without having to embed into the file itself - I know CR has some of it but I could never trust it fully)
  • Media serving/sharing/importing list for media sharing (main challenge to keep synched information across devices)
  • Reading (separate solutions potentially between windows/android/etc)
  • Temporary local caching (regardless of device status) for offline reading (probably can be embedded in the reading section)
  • Ability to import/use existing CR scripts (?)

A post-CR world discussion (no, I do not have answers) 11 months 2 weeks ago #50080

• romsnesrom
  • Expert Boarder
rmagere wrote:

• What if someone took the scripts (some of them (Top 3?)) and made them stand-alone. Would that be good?

A post-CR world discussion (no, I do not have answers) 11 months 2 weeks ago #50081

• tglass1976
    • Fresh Boarder
    romsnesrom wrote:
    rmagere wrote:

• What if someone took the scripts (some of them (Top 3?)) and made them stand-alone. Would that be good?

For me, I would mainly want the functionality of ComicVine Scraper and Library Organizer so I could get the metadata from Comicvine and automatically move files to a folder structure I like.

A post-CR world discussion (no, I do not have answers) 11 months 2 weeks ago #50085

• romsnesrom
    • Expert Boarder
    I feel similarly, although having a robust centralized DB helps a lot in finding duplicates when dealing with very large collections.

A post-CR world discussion (no, I do not have answers) 11 months 2 weeks ago #50086

• rmagere
    • Gold Boarder
    • Thank you received: 33
    I am using more of them as I have comics in multiple languages so just those two would not be good enough.

Roughly I would say I use very regularly (i.e. everytime or every other time I open CR) the following:
    • Bonelli scraper
    • COA scraper
    • Diabolik scraper
    • Comicvine
    • Backup manager
    • Data manager
    • Duplicate manager
    • Find missing issues offline
    • Library organiser
    • Priat
    • Same x different y

And there are a few more that I use more occasionally (e.g. Webcomic helper, Smartlist scripts, Clear bookmarks)

The point is that there is a rich script library based on python so there might be a way to keep those scripts alive by having a "translation library" e.g. understanding the hooks used by CR and mapping them to the hooks of the new program. Not saying it's easy as I have not coded in the last forever and even when I did I was not that good (last time I coded I used LISP).
    Last Edit: 11 months 2 weeks ago by rmagere.

A post-CR world discussion (no, I do not have answers) 9 months 3 weeks ago #50833

• yoshie66
    • Fresh Boarder
    Due to a number of issues I have begun to have with ComicRack, I have been seeking an alternative for several years.. but as most of us already know, there just isn't anything else out there that matches ComicRack's utility (especially the scripting). I have a fairly large collection, which means a massive database (somewhere around 4TB of sorted and another 7TB of unsorted books) that I find ComicRack is less and less able to handle. I would also love to share some of this collection with other collectors, but there isn't an easy way to do using the ComicRack metadata. Is there anyone working on a replacement?

A post-CR world discussion (no, I do not have answers) 7 months 3 weeks ago #56654

• mcpierce
    • Expert Boarder
    • Thank you received: 14
    I've got a replacement project in the works, named ComiXed. Please stop by our FB group (www.facebook.com/groups/comixed/) or our Reddit (www.reddit.com/r/comixedmanager/) and then download the latest development release here from github.com/mcpierce/comixed/releases
    Time to create page: 0.309 seconds

Who's Online

We have 159 guests and one member online