Welcome, Guest
General discussion about ComicRack

TOPIC: COMICRACK!!!!! IT'S ALIVE!!! IT"S ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!

COMICRACK!!!!! IT'S ALIVE!!! IT"S ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!! 7 years 7 months ago #5876

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
  • Thank you received: 182
Just wanted to give a nod to how much ComicRack and it's forum has grown within the last 9 months since I've been using it. With the forums expanded and new scripts and ideas popping up all the time in addition to each great new build release, this project has begun to take a life of it own. cYo, I don't think I can thank you enough for all your hard work. You have built something magical that ALL comic lovers will soon gravitate to (if they already haven't yet)! Keep up the great work!

Also, to all of you who contribute in your own way, thank you as well. I'm quite happy to be apart of something that I can only see getting better and better! I do believe that ComicRack will soon also have it's own dedicated link to a online database repository with an API that works perfectly with this wonderful app! There...I've said it...that's my prediction for the ultimate future extension of this project.

:cheer:
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:COMICRACK!!!!! IT'S ALIVE!!! IT 7 years 7 months ago #5897

• perezmu
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
oraclexview wrote:
I do believe that ComicRack will soon also have it's own dedicated link to a online database repository with an API that works perfectly with this wonderful app! There...I've said it...that's my prediction for the ultimate future extension of this project.

Hi, is this prediction based on some work of yours....? ;)

Re:COMICRACK!!!!! IT'S ALIVE!!! IT 7 years 7 months ago #5903

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
perezmu wrote:
Hi, is this prediction based on some work of yours....? ;)
Hey buddy, my background in database knowledge is good enough to make a small desktop Access app that could intergrate with ComicRack (how well they intergrate would be refined over time of course), but something on the level of say ComicVine or comicbookdb.com is quite beyond my skill level at this point. This is the ultimate goal where I'd like my studies to lead me though. So, if any of you have suggestions to guide my self training (tryin to learn as much as I can without formal training), that be great. However perezmu, if I ever do have a "flash of genius" moment, you'll be 1 of the 1st to know.

Re:COMICRACK!!!!! IT'S ALIVE!!! IT 7 years 7 months ago #5926

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 675
It was always planned to make a companion online database for ComicRack.

You wouldn't have to implement a web frontend, because for the start ComicRack can handle the update/download.

But I never came around, because of time constraints.

I always thought of a wavelet based cover analysis that would generate a unique footprint for comics. It would work like cddb. People could submit their data through ComicRack to the online database. When you query you would get a list of results matching your comic. Marking result entries as corrupt/wrong/incomplete by a bunch of people would give them penalty points and move them to the back of the results (or even delete them).

As you can see, the idea was/is a crowd sourced database without admins, playing the strengths of ComicRack: having full image information of all the comics.

Re:COMICRACK!!!!! IT'S ALIVE!!! IT 7 years 7 months ago #5927

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
cYo wrote:
It was always planned to make a companion online database for ComicRack.

You wouldn't have to implement a web frontend, because for the start ComicRack can handle the update/download.

But I never came around, because of time constraints.

I always thought of a wavelet based cover analysis that would generate a unique footprint for comics. It would work like cddb. People could submit their data through ComicRack to the online database. When you query you would get a list of results matching your comic. Marking result entries as corrupt/wrong/incomplete by a bunch of people would give them penalty points and move them to the back of the results (or even delete them).

As you can see, the idea was/is a crowd sourced database without admins, playing the strengths of ComicRack: having full image information of all the comics.
I've always wanted to find/create something exactly like what you described. Basically an environment that combines the local usefulness and customization of ComicRack integrated with a community network like cddb. Question: thus far, what has been your vision to use as the backend? MySQL, PostgreSQL, or something else entirely?

Well, for the record, I'm willing to lend my skillz to this effort, and at the least, bounce ideas off each other. Knowledge is power, learning is fundamental, teaching is a blessing, and collaboration is a movement!
Time to create page: 0.205 seconds

Who's Online

We have 189 guests and 3 members online