Welcome, Guest
General discussion about ComicRack

TOPIC: Permissions for academic use

Permissions for academic use 7 years 7 months ago #6356

• Dr. Comics
  • Fresh Boarder
I teach a class in which we look at comics on a computer projection screen for class. In order to have this software installed on my classroom computer, I need to either a)obtain a permission from the manufacturer/distributor, even if it's freeware, through a letter or email or b) show the university tech folk the license agreement (EULA) that must state that the software is free for academic use. Can someone help direct me how I can get this done, so I can use this program for my classroom? Thanks!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Permissions for academic use 7 years 7 months ago #6357

• Shinrai
  • Platinum Boarder
  • With great power comes great W/T.
  • Thank you received: 81
I just glanced at the EULA and it's not based on Creative Commons or anything like that, and in fact doesn't say anything about this.

I'm sure cYo will stop in shortly and just give you the okay, though.

Re: Permissions for academic use 7 years 7 months ago #6359

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 675
As the EULA states: ComicRack is Freeware. I'm not selling ComicRack. I'm simply asking for donations if you use it :)

As a University is not in the weapons manufacturing domain, I don't see any problems :)

Re: Permissions for academic use 7 years 7 months ago #6365

• Dr. Comics
  • Fresh Boarder
Where is the EULA on this site? Haven't been able to find it. If it's not clear from the license, they're pretty much sticklers for the legal stuff, so if you can email me offsite @ This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., just to repeat what you've said here, than my butt will be covered. I would really appreciate it! I used to lug my old laptop to class just because they wouldn't install Comic Reader software.

Re: Permissions for academic use 7 years 7 months ago #6366

• Shinrai
  • Platinum Boarder
  • With great power comes great W/T.
  • Thank you received: 81
I don't think you can see the EULA anywhere except the installer (at least, I wasn't able to find it on the site or in the program directory).

Again, though, it doesn't list a specific exception for academic use...it says it's freeware and lists a few things it's NOT to be used for and that's really it. If they're that picky...well, why are they that picky? But still. ;)

EDIT: Probably wouldn't hurt to have EULA.txt in the ComicRack root directory, cYo, just in case.
Last Edit: 7 years 7 months ago by Shinrai.

Re: Permissions for academic use 7 years 7 months ago #6367

• cYo
yes, I'll copy it into the setup folder.

But you can show them the EULA by installing it :)

Re: Permissions for academic use 7 years 7 months ago #6381

• Dr. Comics
  • Fresh Boarder
It's a complicated process to install new software on university computers. They need absolutely clear license agreements, then they do several complicated tests to make sure the new software doesn't mess up any other software on the computer, THEN they install it. The whole process takes about 2 weeks, AFTER they get the permissions. So, it's a pain. I'm going to try to just cut and paste this discussion thread and hopefully they'll be happy with that. Thanks!

Re: Permissions for academic use 7 years 7 months ago #6382

• cYo
0.9.118 (out today or tomorrow) will have the license in text form in the installation directory.
Time to create page: 0.571 seconds

Who's Online

We have 224 guests and 5 members online