Welcome, Guest
General discussion about ComicRack
  • Page:

TOPIC: variant covers are annoying

variant covers are annoying 7 years 8 months ago #6500

• bkagan
  • Senior Boarder
As a collector, variant covers are just an obvious ploy to play on your need to have a complete collection, forcing you to buy multiple copies.

As a downloader, keeping a collection that contains variant covers is just AS annoying just cheaper.

I may not be compulsive but I would like some consistency in my collection.
trying to make sure I get the download with all the covers can be tricky.

I have no interest in downloading multiple issues and then inserted extra covers.

I guess I'm just venting
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: variant covers are annoying 7 years 8 months ago #6504

• Shinrai
  • Platinum Boarder
  • With great power comes great W/T.
  • Thank you received: 81
I love variant covers, but I'm the collector type. (Of course, I always insert them in the main file, I never keep them separate, and this doesn't bother me because hey, I already unpack all my files and rename the files inside the archive to my standard format because I'm OCD like that)

Re: variant covers are annoying 7 years 8 months ago #6506

• forkicks
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 109
I try to get the variant covers, and more then once have i tried to drag and drop them onto the page view in comicrack *subtle hint*.

Indeed, annoying to deal with, but for completists, its a must :-)

fK

Re:variant covers are annoying 7 years 8 months ago #6524

• lanzajr26
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I'm not a huge fan of variants in my comic files, I prefer to they have as small a footprint as possible to conserve drive space (I have 10,000+ cbz files and counting).

As for my physical collection, I love them if they're drawn by a favorite artist or just showcase a really outstanding piece of art. I used to be a nut for Chaos! Comics variants, like the black velvet and holochrome covers they'd put out. These days I really only collect variants by guys like J. Scott Campbell, Kenneth Rocafort and Michael Turner, God rest his soul.

Re:variant covers are annoying 7 years 8 months ago #6556

• Ludwig
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
I tend to agree with you Bkagan.

It's an old discussion though ;o)
I also have friends/acquantainces who stick to certain series and buy every new copie ( variant, sc, hc and TPB's).

Fyi in Europe, comics (European !), are frequently published in soft and hard cover version.
Mostly the only difference, the price, sc around +/- 8,00 EUR, HC mostly x2.
Seldom an xtra page or other cover.
A variant cover is usually only available with new reproductions (reprinting when first edition is out of stock).

I must admit that I sometimes frown when I'm shown a copy of a copy with only another cover.

And i'm not only talking about comics.. LP's, Music Albums, Books or Movie-Dvd's even Games.

I've met them all

But hey some don't understand my wall of comicbooks.
Probably still a bit of gatherer in my genes ;o)

It's what you like that counts.
If that is collecting all the covers of a certain series, author..

For me, I rather use the money for other comics/interests.
My main focus for comics is content (reading) and broaden my horizon on the 9th art.
I have been buying Stripverhalen, Bandes Dessinées, Comics, Manga, Manhwa and their artwork for more than 30 years.
Collecting variant issues would have limited my experience to a couple of series, one pilar..

My rules :
I never buy doubles.
I don't have to have first editions (although I do have a lot of them but thats because I buy when published).
I don't worship authors, if a comic or line is garbage I don't buy it.
I don't stick to one pilar

And I don't limit myself to number 9.

Re:variant covers are annoying 7 years 8 months ago #6560

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 676
Every time Ludwig posts something, it feels like a grown up has entered the room to give the kids some perspective :)

Re:variant covers are annoying 7 years 8 months ago #6562

• lanzajr26
  • Gold Boarder
cYo wrote:
Every time Ludwig posts something, it feels like a grown up has entered the room to give the kids some perspective :)

Yes, that was a far deeper explanation than I was willing to give :D

Re:variant covers are annoying 7 years 8 months ago #6672

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
  • Thank you received: 182
Personally, I LOVE most variant covers. Before I learned to appreciate the great writing, I originally got into comics for the exceptional artwork. Having a variant cover usually meant that I got to see another highly admired and talented artist put their spin on a cover concept. True, they are money gimmicks, but from an artistic perspective, to me they are just an extension of creativity.

lanzajr26 wrote:
I used to be a nut for Chaos! Comics variants, like the black velvet and holochrome covers they'd put out.
Yeah, they had some good ones. :)

lanzajr26 wrote:
...variants by guys like J. Scott Campbell, Kenneth Rocafort and Michael Turner, God rest his soul.
Michael Turner passed away? :ohmy:
Last Edit: 7 years 8 months ago by oraclexview.

Re:variant covers are annoying 7 years 8 months ago #6674

• lanzajr26
  • Gold Boarder
oraclexview wrote:
Michael Turner passed away? :ohmy:

Yeah, back in 2008 :( I met him a few times, he was a really nice guy and fought a long hard battle with cancer. Very sad to see, just like Steven Hughes of Lady Death fame, so much talent gone forever.

Re: variant covers are annoying 7 years 8 months ago #6796

• Adam Lucifer
  • Junior Boarder
  • Sum ergo cogitus
I am no fan of variant covers (or "suckers!" covers as I call them...). They are clearly nothing more than a blatant attempt to squeeze more money from the more obsessive punters.

The cover of a comic is basically an advert - "Buy Me!" it screams from the vendors racks... I wouldn't pay extra for more adverts, and unless the "variant" ( or "sucker!") cover is n original, hand-painted 3metre fold-out with gold-leaf edges, I wouldn't pay any extra for that either.

In fact I generally assign variant covers in my PC collection as "deleted" anyway, and were it not so time-consuming I would physically delete all of the variant covers along with most of the ads in my computer comic collection.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.200 seconds

Who's Online

We have 266 guests and one member online