Welcome, Guest
General discussion about ComicRack
  • Page:

TOPIC: variant covers are annoying

Re: variant covers are annoying 7 years 7 months ago #6797

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
  • Thank you received: 182
That's a pretty strong opinion you have there, but I understand what you're saying. I personally enjoy the variant covers for the artistic freedom and creativity. I know that their purpose is to get more people to pay for the same book, but I'm looking beyond that. In fact, eComics allow you to enjoy variants even more so since it's just an additional cover scan. Just my outlook on it.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: variant covers are annoying 7 years 7 months ago #6804

• lanzajr26
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Adam Lucifer wrote:
I am no fan of variant covers (or "suckers!" covers as I call them...). They are clearly nothing more than a blatant attempt to squeeze more money from the more obsessive punters.

The cover of a comic is basically an advert - "Buy Me!" it screams from the vendors racks... I wouldn't pay extra for more adverts, and unless the "variant" ( or "sucker!") cover is n original, hand-painted 3metre fold-out with gold-leaf edges, I wouldn't pay any extra for that either.

In fact I generally assign variant covers in my PC collection as "deleted" anyway, and were it not so time-consuming I would physically delete all of the variant covers along with most of the ads in my computer comic collection.

Wow, pretty harsh there! I can agree to an extent that variant covers are just an attempt snatch the money from starry eyed collectors, but at the same time these covers only exist because people buy them. Personally, I no longer care for gimmick covers like the gold leaf you mention, but I used to buy the more creative ones like the velvet and leather covers Chaos produced.

These days, variant covers only serve to present a different piece of art from the standard book. For collectors that chase certain artists, the variants are quite popular (like Marvel's J. Scott Campbell covers).

As with any product you always have a choice, buy it or don't. You choose to tell the publishers you don't care for their product by not paying for it and that's perfectly fine. But for people that enjoy collecting these books I think it's a little rough to call them "suckers". They know full well what they are paying for.

Re: variant covers are annoying 7 years 7 months ago #6808

• Adam Lucifer
  • Junior Boarder
  • Sum ergo cogitus
oraclexview: "That's a pretty strong opinion you have there..."

I guess, but it's just a personal one, I don't mean to dis any of the more OCD collectors; that's the nature of being a collector.
Different strokes, eh?

lanzajr26: "I think it's a little rough to call them 'suckers'"

It's not really that I'm saying other collectors are "suckers", it's just a tongue-in-cheek phrase for how I view it for myself, i.e. I'd be a "sucker" to pay for something I don't want - for others they clearly fulfil a need.
I think we all know that many (most) of these covers are issued with more thought of money than providing a much needed service.

I've heard the lottery referred to as "idiot tax" which describes how many people feel, but I don't suppose those who use that expression really feel that all their friends who indulge are actually idiots.

Anyway, I hope with my craven backtracking I have managed to avert any kind of flame war! ;-)
Last Edit: 7 years 7 months ago by Adam Lucifer. Reason: Spelling correction

Re: variant covers are annoying 7 years 7 months ago #6811

• lanzajr26
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
LOL, no, no flame wars here. I find the idiot tax to be quite funny, I think I'll start using that from now on :D

Now back on topic, maybe someone here can create a script that will strip all those pesky variant covers from your files!

Re: variant covers are annoying 2 years 1 month ago #43650

• micokeman
  • Fresh Boarder
Not sure if this is related to the topic, but personally, I do enjoy some of the variant covers. For those who DO like to keep them, how do you tag the variant cover comics in ComicRack. I don't think that the Series is the right place to mention the fact that there are multiple covers. What field should be used to mention this?

variant covers are annoying 2 years 1 month ago #43653

• forkicks
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 109
5 year old threads should stay dead.

What is this, the walking dead?

fK

Re: variant covers are annoying 2 years 1 month ago #43654

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
micokeman wrote:
Not sure if this is related to the topic, but personally, I do enjoy some of the variant covers. For those who DO like to keep them, how do you tag the variant cover comics in ComicRack. I don't think that the Series is the right place to mention the fact that there are multiple covers. What field should be used to mention this?

What I would do to track my alternate covers is add a tag to the book and track it that way.
Also, for a file with multiple covers I would set all the pages that were covers as Front Cover in ComicRack so that way in the thumbnail browser view you could more easily identify which book files had multiple covers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: micokeman

Re: variant covers are annoying 2 years 1 month ago #43655

• micokeman
  • Fresh Boarder
oraclexview wrote:
I would set all the pages that were covers as Front Cover in ComicRack so that way in the thumbnail browser view you could more easily identify which book files had multiple covers.

The covers are marked, but how can I quickly see if a comic has multiple covers? I guess I am asking if there's a quick way to see the 'multiple' covers at a glance.

Well, since typing this, I found that if I select a comic's thumbnail in the browser, there will be a a white rectangle with a '- 1 / 2 +' IF it has multiple covers. I am putting this up here for any one else who might find this useful. Pressing the '+' shows the other covers.

Thanks!

Re: variant covers are annoying 2 years 1 month ago #43656

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
micokeman wrote:
Well, since typing this, I found that if I select a comic's thumbnail in the browser, there will be a a white rectangle with a '- 1 / 2 +' IF it has multiple covers. I am putting this up here for any one else who might find this useful. Pressing the '+' shows the other covers.

Thanks!

Yes, that's exactly what I was referring to. The "white rectangle with a '- 1 / 2 +' if it has multiple covers". That's the best way to quickly identify those books visually.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.198 seconds

Who's Online

We have 226 guests and 2 members online