Welcome, Guest
General discussion about ComicRack

TOPIC: Best tablet?

Best tablet? 7 years 5 months ago #7660

• pescuma
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16
Which one is the best tablet to run ComicRack?

PS: That is not too expensive ;)
Last Edit: 7 years 5 months ago by pescuma.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Best tablet? 7 years 5 months ago #7664

• forkicks
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 108
"Best" is often a term derived from personal taste and experience. From my experience, i like HP's touchsmart series very much. They can take a large harddisk (mine has a 500gb one i installed), they have all the connectivity options you could want, and the tablet part is very good. (either through finger and/or pen).

The downside is the weight. They bring 2 batteries, and with the larger, weigh a bit under 3kg. Its not -that- much, but on the long run you can get tired.

It also has an 11 inch screen, wich is EXACTLY the same size/dimension as a standard american comic (ok, 2 milimeters less). That means letter sizes are perfect.

Oh, yeah, the battery (the larger one, running win7 x64) has around 4 hours uptime while reading comics with comicrack.

I like it very much, but like i said at the top, its a matter of taste and personal choice. I would trade for an ipad-like device if it ran windows and had a larger hdd capacity. As it stands now, the ipad is a nice paperweight, as far as my comic-reading needs are concerned.

I believe there are a few other threads running around this forum with this question, and many other options too.

fK

[Forgot the price. My tx2 1050 cost me a bit under 1000 euros. How expensive or not that is to you, is a wild guess :-) ]

Re: Best tablet? 7 years 5 months ago #7702

• sds910
  • Fresh Boarder
I would take a good look at the ExoPC Slate, coming to market in September... this will pretty much be the Windows 7 version of the iPad. Early buzz is good; looks to be a quality product.

www.exopc.com/en/index.php

Re: Best tablet? 7 years 5 months ago #7735

• Shinrai
  • Platinum Boarder
  • With great power comes great W/T.
  • Thank you received: 81
If money is no object, go for a Lenovo X201t - it's got pretty much any bell and whistle you could want in a fast, sleek, lightweight, low-temperature package. You are paying through the nose, although some of the older models are pretty reasonable these days. (They should be shipping again soon, IIRC; there was an issue with supply of the displays)

Re:Best tablet? 7 years 5 months ago #7741

• pescuma
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16
Guys, thanks for the answers. I was thinking in something not too expensive (like $300 or $400). Maybe I'll have to wait one more year for the price to drop...

PS: I must say that the ExoPC seems good...
Last Edit: 7 years 5 months ago by pescuma.

Re:Best tablet? 7 years 5 months ago #7746

• forkicks
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 108
There are alternatives on your price range.

If you don't mind a smaller screen (9 inches), you can get the Gigabyte m912 for around 400 usd. It has only 1 gb of ram, which you should upgrade immediatly to 2 (it costs around 10 usd more).

You'll get a smaller screen, but its a tablet nonetheless.

fK

Re:Best tablet? 7 years 5 months ago #7748

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 675
but the m912 is not multi-touch.

Re:Best tablet? 7 years 5 months ago #7758

• Shinrai
  • Platinum Boarder
  • With great power comes great W/T.
  • Thank you received: 81
Personally, I can't stand multi-touch, but that's because the idea of putting my FINGERS on the SCREEN is like...ewww! Fingerprints! Pen input only plzkthx. <3

Re:Best tablet? 7 years 5 months ago #7801

• quidam
  • Platinum Boarder
  • not for nom
  • Thank you received: 23
I would go for thinkpad too (x201t). In terms of performance there is nothing better on tablet market. But it costs a lot, so it's tough choice. Buying it for reading comics as main purpose is somewhat wasting potential, I think. But, hey, it's you money... ;)

I used older x200 for 6 months while ago and I can only praise it.

Re:Best tablet? 7 years 5 months ago #7812

• Crowl
  • Fresh Boarder
quidam wrote:
I used older x200 for 6 months while ago and I can only praise it.

The balance of weight and power on the x200/x201 is just great, but clearly for most people the cost will be an issue.

Dropping down in price somewhat, the main alternatives at this point seem to be asus tm91t, asus tm101t or the acer 1825pt/ptz with the first two being netbook tablets and the latter being based on a slightly more powerful ulv processor.

One thing to consider is that the computex show is very soon and it is expected that a number of slates will get announced then.
Time to create page: 0.215 seconds

Who's Online

We have 229 guests and 9 members online