Welcome, Guest
General discussion about ComicRack

TOPIC: What exactly is the 'Adaptive' mode ?

What exactly is the 'Adaptive' mode ? 7 years 5 months ago #7834

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
Another query related to a currently ignored section in The ComicRack Manual

The Page Layout menu contains options for Fit width (adaptive) and Two pages (adaptive).

So, what exactly is the 'adaptive' mode ?

:laugh: Earlier I used to know this, but after passing through the Blackest Night and Siege, I seem to have suffered partial memory losses. So, please help me out..
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:What exactly is the 'Adaptive' mode ? 7 years 5 months ago #7835

600WPMPO wrote:
Another query related to a currently ignored section in The ComicRack Manual

The Page Layout menu contains options for Fit width (adaptive) and Two pages (adaptive).

So, what exactly is the 'adaptive' mode ?

:laugh: Earlier I used to know this, but after passing through the Blackest Night and Siege, I seem to have suffered partial memory losses. So, please help me out..

As far as two-page adaptive, I think it means it displays covers single-page and checks ahead for double width pre-joined two pages and only displays a single page before it so it doesn't try to fit a single page with a double.

For instance, say this is your comic:
Cover 1
Cover 2
Single Page 1
Single Page 2
Single Page 3
Two-page Spread Page 4

the page displays work like this:
Cover 1
Cover 2
Page 1+2
Page 3
Page 4

Anyway, that's my best guess.

Re:What exactly is the 'Adaptive' mode ? 7 years 5 months ago #7836

• Shinrai
  • Platinum Boarder
  • With great power comes great W/T.
  • Thank you received: 81
I was under the impression adaptive two-page mode would look to see if the next pages are double page scans and not attempt to display them as single pages (in which case you'd get three pages).

I thought the width fitting would see a double page and fit like a single page (ie, only half the page) if it's drastically oversized. I can't seem to find one handy to test though. (Man, I'm useless, aren't I? Haha)

Re:What exactly is the 'Adaptive' mode ? 7 years 5 months ago #7840

• quidam
  • Platinum Boarder
  • not for nom
  • Thank you received: 23
Here's how it works:

Two Page vs Two Page adaptive.

In adaptive mode ComicRack displays Front and Back covers forcefully as a single page.

In normal Two Page mode, if for some reason Front or Back cover is placed somewhere in the middle of other images, it's displayed not as a single page, but together with a blank, white page.

Two page (adaptive) has nothing to do with double-page spreads. ComicRack handles them properly in both modes. (never displays double-page spread together with other page).

Fit Width (adaptive).

Now this concerns double-page spreads. This is meant to be using in Single Page mode rather than in Two Page. It splits double-page and displays only half of it at once fitting it to width. This is especially useful for people with pivoted monitors. Double-pages aren't shrunk thanks to this mode.

Imagine you have files scanned in a way where all the images consist of two pages on each one. Someone didn't bother spitting them in editor. But you still would want to read one page at a time. So this option can come handy.

Still, fitting width singe page on not pivoted monitor is almost always too much. So option just to split images in half and display both halves as a single pages without fitting width could be more useful for normal monitors.

Re:What exactly is the 'Adaptive' mode ? 7 years 5 months ago #7842

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 675
Explanation of Fit Width (Adaptive) is spot on.

The page modes:
* Single Page: Every image is displayed by itself (so single pages stay single and double pages stay double)
* Two Pages: Always two pages are displayed (like a book). If there are forced single pages (like a single page before a double spread or a page of type Cover), white fill pages are introdued.
* Two Pages (Adaptive): This is the "classic" ComicRack two page mode. No fill pages are introduced.

Re:What exactly is the 'Adaptive' mode ? 7 years 5 months ago #7851

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
Thanks a lot guys.. I've got the info now !! :-)
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
Time to create page: 0.212 seconds

Who's Online

We have 161 guests and 6 members online