Welcome, Guest
Try to get help from other ComicRack users

TOPIC: Linux?

Linux? 10 years 1 month ago #137

• Bob
  • Expert Boarder
I've been getting my feet wet recently, setting my machine up to dual boot ubuntu/vista. Right now the only thing keeping me from going to Ubuntu full time is this program and City of Heroes (and supposedly CoH can be played in Linux with tweaking). Has anyone made a port for Comic Rack, or is there a way to run it while in Linux? If so, I can say goodbye to M$ :)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Linux? 10 years 1 month ago #143

Hi,

ComicRack is written with Visual Studio .Net, and uses the Microsoft .Net platform.

There is Project Mono, which is supposed to be a .Net environment for Linux. But I think it can't be used yet. Perhaps for the lack of Mono stability or of a cross-compiler.

Re:Linux? 9 years 11 months ago #571

• dfuse
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Actually Mono is stable, and has been for years, I think it's even default included with Ubuntu. The problems you will encounter are that for starters Comicrack is written in IronPython, and it uses Windows GUI components of course. Now, last I checked the guys from Mono were doing something which would enable you to program against Windows GUI components but these would then be translated to GTK components, not too sure about the status however. And even then, without the source code of Comicrack you wouldn't get far anyhow.

Re:Linux? 9 years 11 months ago #572

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 676
to clarify things :)

ComicRack is written in c#
It just used IronPython for scripting (just the thought of writing an ~500k source lines application in python gives me shivers :))
ComicRack uses WinForms for GUI, which has a sub perfect compatibility implementation in Mono. This is not the fault of the mono guys, but microsoft mangling there proprietary win32 api into .NET.
ComiCrack uses some Win32 API calls (directly).
ComicRack uses unrar.dll to unpack

So I've actually an ubuntu box standing here with monodevelop Beta 2 and the latest mono build. I'm always toying around with a linux build. But I won't really delve into this, till i got the feeling that the win32 build is stable. And the win64 build is also still waiting.

and dfuse... i may one time open source it, but your picking wont make that happen faster :)
Last Edit: 9 years 11 months ago by cYo.

Re:Linux? 9 years 11 months ago #573

• dfuse
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
I can only try :)

Re:Linux? 9 years 8 months ago #1037

• Hochler
  • Fresh Boarder
Any development? Or is it still just experimentation?
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds

Who's Online

We have 237 guests and 2 members online