• Page:

TOPIC: Notes from a Noob ...

Re: Notes from a Noob ... 5 years 10 months ago #18588

• O.Ren
  • Expert Boarder
  • Ahoy !
  • Thank you received: 32
Thanks Donspace, this is very useful :)
Another quick tip, in case newbies didn't think about doing it: GRIP IT !

Docking grips are those dotted grips in the middle of the frames: there's one at the bottom of the sidebar for example, if you grab it with the mouse and drag up, you reveal the small preview frame :)

Everything is explained in page 19 of the manual (agree with Donspace, you HAVE TO download it and read it, it's the easiest manual to follow - EVER!).

By revealing all the hidden spaces, you make your ComicRack window much more comfortable to work in.
And once you've decided which panels and frames to use, and are satisfied with your work, go ahead and save it: CTRL + W or Menu > Browse > Workspaces > Save Workspace.
ComicRackers, ASSEMBLE !
Join us on IRC, don't be shy :) Server:irc.rizon.net Channel:#comicrack
More info here
Last Edit: 5 years 10 months ago by O.Ren.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: donspace

Re: Notes from a Noob ... 5 years 10 months ago #19080

• donspace
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
TIP #01 - GET THE MANUAL
TIP #02 - READ THE MANUAL
TIP #03 - WHERE'S MY MAIN MENU?
TIP #04 - TWO MORE IMPORTANT FUNCTION KEYS: F3 & F10
TIP #05 - WHAT DOES F12 DO?
TIP #06 - BASIC NAVIGATION
TIP #07 - OVERLAYS & SCROLLING

TIP #08 - MORE NAVIGATION

A few more bits on navigation, mostly because I need to clear something up from Tip #6. The Left Arrow and Right Arrow will behave just like your Up and Down arrows (respectively) ONLY when Auto Scrolling is active. Otherwise, the arrow keys navigate around your viewing window just as you might expect them to: if Auto Scrolling is turned off, then a click on any arrow key will simply shift your view slightly that direction.

By the way, I find this a pretty awkward way to read a comic ... most of the time. However, CR gives you the best of all worlds. Maybe you prefer to leave Auto Scrolling turned off. Maybe you're just sorta weird or something (I bet Helmic reads his comics this way). That's cool. The Space Bar let's you benefit from Auto Scrolling even when it's turned off. Hitting the Space Bar acts just like using the Down Arrow (or the Right Arrow or the Scroll Down on your mouse) with Auto Scroll turned on. Officially, it is called navigating to the "Next Part". Note that Shift+Space Bar navigates in reverse, or to the "Previous Part". I'm going to change this key combo to Backspace because it just makes sense, but that's just me.

Before we leave navigation behind, a couple more handy key to know: Ctrl+End, Ctrl+Home and ESC. Holding the control key and tapping End navigates to the last page of the current comic. Control + Home does the same, but in reverse, moving to the first page in the comic. ESC, or Escape, is not really a navigation key at all. It simple toggles the Browser Window (and the Navigation Bar) on or off. If you've split your Reader off from the Browser (F12) then it only toggles off/on the Navigation Bar.

Last note regarding Navigation. Again, recalling Tip #6. If you have maximized your Reader Window, either by toggling off the Browser (F3) or splitting off the Reader (F12), all those Control key combos for the page layout can be accessed without using the Control key. In other words, you only need the Control key when the Browser window is active. Otherwise, just tap the corresponding number.

D
Java devil, you are now my bitch.

Re: Notes from a Noob ... 4 years 3 months ago #35270

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
What's up, noob? :-)

p.s. That, by the way, means "Wake up & give us more posts!"
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!

Re: Notes from a Noob ... 4 years 3 months ago #35273

• donspace
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
Alright, alright ... it's gonna interrupt my nap time, but I'll see what I can do.

Actually, I've been kicking around some ideas on a "noob" update ... I'll get that together and post asaicgmst (As Soon As I Can Get My Sh** Together).

D (aka The Noob)
Java devil, you are now my bitch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600WPMPO, SmilinOn, Pageturner
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.197 seconds

Who's Online

We have 201 guests and 6 members online