Welcome, Guest
Try to get help from other ComicRack users

TOPIC: Smart List Rules

Smart List Rules 9 years 2 months ago #1893

• Alan Scott
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
Hey, could anyone list a few known rules for smart lists? I've been trying to play around with this feature but all I've been able to suss out on my own is "blank". Here's one example:

I've got a smart list of Marvel Comics. I want to make a rule so I can only see those issues with an alternative series tag, so I can read the major event story arcs in sequence. What should be my rule?

However, any suggestions are welcome, so that there can be thread that might help newbies in the future. Post any that you do for yourselves, to show what Smart Lists can accomplish.

I've been wanting to start work on a wiki user guide for ComicRack, but the more I try to master it the more I find that I don't understand at all. The good news is that ComicRack has a bazillion features. The bad news is that it's hard to know where to start to explain a bazillion features. :laugh:
... The failure to appreciate... is perfectly understandable, because the readership never evaluates old material in the context of the cultural climate in which it was created, or the state of the art at the time it was created.
Marty Pasko
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Smart List Rules 9 years 2 months ago #1895

• AlucardNoir
  • Senior Boarder
  • MangAnime Vampire AlucardNoir
well, you can't add such a rule, since smart list's can only be made with one rule at the moment but what you can do to get the effect you want is go to "manage list layouts" [it's the little button under the close button] then go to the thumbnail tab were at the first line you go down[actually up] to "alternate series" and press ok

that should do what you want. post if it dose or if it doesn't so others can know if I'm right or not.

edit: now that i think of it, there may be another way, just sort the list, press the group by and go to A-C and then to Alternate Series, that could also do it
MangAnime Vampire AlucardNoir
Last Edit: 9 years 2 months ago by AlucardNoir.

Re:Smart List Rules 9 years 2 months ago #1896

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 675
you can add as many rules to one smart list as you want.

just press the '+' to add a new rule. As the top of the smart list editor you can select if ALL rules must be fulfilled or if any rule is sufficient.

So your rule would look like

(x) Not (Tag) (is) ( )

(BTW just found a redraw bug by doing this :))

Also parent folders have all the items in their sub folders. So lets say you make a folder "Superman Related" and add the following smart lists:

Supergirl:
Match (all) of the following:

( ) not (Series) (contains) (Supergirl)

This would create a list with all comics having Supergirl in the Series.

Superman:
Match (any) of the following:

( ) not (Series) (is) (Action Comics)
( ) not (Series) (contains) (Superman)

This would create a list with the Series either containing "Superman" or being "Action Comics".

If you click on "Superman Related" you would get a list with the two lists combined.

The power of smart lists is limitless :)
Last Edit: 9 years 2 months ago by cYo.

Re:Smart List Rules 9 years 2 months ago #1898

• Alan Scott
  • Gold Boarder
Thanks for responding! Nope, either I didn't understand correctly or it didn't work out. All that accomplished was that I can see the alternative series' titles under the thumbnails of the issues. It did not filter out all the issues without an alternative series, regardless of view mode. Your second suggestion wouldn't do that either, I'm afraid. I would like the list to filter in such a way so that only Marvel published books are listed, and then only books having an alternative series are listed, so that I can then sort by year then month. I'm not concerned that the alternative series be listed a-z separately, just that I can sort it so that they are listed year then month. Really, this is just an experiment to test the limits of this feature.

Speaking of which, is it a bug that cYo hasn't solved yet, that only one rule is active at a time? Because the window box has the ability to enter more than one rule.
... The failure to appreciate... is perfectly understandable, because the readership never evaluates old material in the context of the cultural climate in which it was created, or the state of the art at the time it was created.
Marty Pasko

Re:Smart List Rules 9 years 2 months ago #1899

• Alan Scott
  • Gold Boarder
@ cYo - Just found you're response after posting. I'll read it in depth and try the suggestions out and get back. Thanks!
Marty Pasko

Re:Smart List Rules 9 years 2 months ago #1900

• Alan Scott
  • Gold Boarder
Aha!!! "(x) Not (Alternate Series) (is) ( )" did the trick, thank you very much. Now, before I continue on, can it be explained what exactly is the difference between lists and folders? I assume your use of the term folder doesn't mean the way I understand in terms of my PC, that is, that a folder is a actual space in which to store my files. Using a smart list, the master library save of my issue still exists, that is to say, when I drag and drop and issue from there to a list, it still exists in the library and any edits I make to one listing effects both. How does a folder differ from this? Does moving an issue to a folder then remove it from the library?

Thanks again so much for all the help here.
Marty Pasko

Re:Smart List Rules 9 years 2 months ago #1901

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 675
Folder: Contains Smart Lists, Lists and/or other Folders
Smart List: Contains a rule based selection of eComics from the Library
Lists: Contains a custom list of eComics from the Library. Items are usually added with drag&drop. If sorted by position, the order of items can changed by drag&drop in the list (for creating custom reasing lists -> see FAQ).

Re:Smart List Rules 9 years 2 months ago #1903

• AlucardNoir
  • Senior Boarder
  • MangAnime Vampire AlucardNoir
wow, never knew you could have multiple rules, that will come in handy, after all as Allan Scot said: CR has a bazillion features. good to know. :cheer:
MangAnime Vampire AlucardNoir
Time to create page: 0.190 seconds

Who's Online

We have 212 guests and 5 members online