Thursday September 18 , 2014
Text Size

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Try to get help from other ComicRack users
  • Page:

TOPIC: Is it possible to install and run ComicRack on an external hard drive?

Is it possible to install and run ComicRack on an external hard drive? 2 years 8 months ago #19666

• JackBauer24
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
(go easy on me; I'm new here. :P)

Okay, recently my home computer, well, died (held a funeral for it and everything; 21-gun salute, bagpipers, the whole nine...). Luckily for me, however, I kept my comics collection -- all 14,000+ files -- on my external hard drive. But now I have no way to view them, as I'm only able to access the computer at work, where loading a program such as Comic Rack is difficult and frowned on.

So my big question is this: is it possible for me to download and run ComicRack exclusively on my external?

And if I can't do this, is there another similar program I can load onto my external to read comics until I'm able to get a computer that I can re-load Comic Rack on?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Is it possible to install and run ComicRack on an external hard drive? 2 years 8 months ago #19668

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
  • Thank you received: 149
Unfortunately, I don't think at this current time that COmicRack has a portable (usb/externa drive style) version due to the need of the .NET extension library. cYo of course can confirm that.

Re: Is it possible to install and run ComicRack on an external hard drive? 2 years 8 months ago #19670

• {Oo}
  • Platinum Boarder
  • The Chewie is a lie !
  • Thank you received: 40
And you would be wrong my dear oraclexview :)

I'm just quoting what the almighty stonepaw said in one of his earlier posts:
Stonepaw wrote:
You should be able to do this already:

1. Install ComicRack to the portable location you want.

2. Edit the file ComicRack.ini in the directory. Remove the ; from the line:
; UseLocalSettings = true

3. Run the ComicRack.exe from the portable location. This should create a new database and settings in the installation directory. You should be able to export your existing database and copy it over the new portable ComicDb.xml

4. ComicRack should now be portable. Note that the ComicRack still needs .Net version 4 on whatever PC you use it on.

But as oraclexview said, the computer using CR has to have the .NET 4 installed for it to work. That's the only requirement.
Last Edit: 2 years 8 months ago by {Oo}.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600WPMPO, JackBauer24

Re: Is it possible to install and run ComicRack on an external hard drive? 2 years 8 months ago #19671

• JackBauer24
  • Fresh Boarder
Our IT guys update the computers pretty often, so I would imagine that the computers will have .NET 4.

Thanks a lot, man. I will definitely try this out. For editing the ComicRack.ini file, I just use Notepad, right?

Re: Is it possible to install and run ComicRack on an external hard drive? 2 years 8 months ago #19672

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 623
.NET should be considered part of a Windows installation and most (if not all) IT departments handle it that way (as far as I know).

Re: Is it possible to install and run ComicRack on an external hard drive? 2 years 8 months ago #19674

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
  • Thank you received: 149
I thought I might have read that it might be possible to run ComicRack in portable mode, however I couldn't find where it was written at the time either. So thanks for the clarification everyone.
There will be a +karma coming your way soon {Oo} :)
Last Edit: 2 years 8 months ago by oraclexview.

Re: Is it possible to install and run ComicRack on an external hard drive? 2 years 8 months ago #19680

• {Oo}
  • Platinum Boarder
  • The Chewie is a lie !
  • Thank you received: 40
JackBauer24 wrote:
Our IT guys update the computers pretty often, so I would imagine that the computers will have .NET 4.

Thanks a lot, man. I will definitely try this out. For editing the ComicRack.ini file, I just use Notepad, right?

Yup, any text editor will have the job done. Notepad, Wordpad, OOo, Word, whatever :)

Re: Is it possible to install and run ComicRack on an external hard drive? 2 years 8 months ago #19681

• JackBauer24
  • Fresh Boarder
Great. Thanks again, man. I'll try it on my lunch hour.

Re: Is it possible to install and run ComicRack on an external hard drive? 2 years 8 months ago #19689

• JackBauer24
  • Fresh Boarder
That worked! Thanks again, guys. Now I'll be able to get my comic fix until I get a new computer. :D

Re: Is it possible to install and run ComicRack on an external hard drive? 2 years 8 months ago #19845

• JackBauer24
  • Fresh Boarder
Hey, guys...I'm back. The program seems work just fine in portable fashion, but I'm having a problem with the ComicDB.xml file. Namely, it's automatically being saved to the computer itself...which means it's not portable. This is especially problematic, as the computer is set with a DeepFreeze program...everything is erased when the computer is shut down at night. So how can I set up the database file on my external hard drive?
Last Edit: 2 years 8 months ago by JackBauer24.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.542 seconds

Who's Online

We have 203 guests and 3 members online
  • Vhorelogical
  • Fuzzyluzzi
  • kenjio

PIM

You are not logged in.