Welcome, Guest
Try to get help from other ComicRack users

TOPIC: Trying to determine the best way to sort my comics

Trying to determine the best way to sort my comics 7 years 6 months ago #22561

• sbooyah
  • Fresh Boarder
I just recently started using Comic Rack and it's great. I use a tablet to read all my comics and, Comic Rack is very helpful.

The problem that I'm having is this: I sort my comics by series. So I can get all my Amazing Spider-man in one folder, and all my Uncanny X-Men in another. However, things like last weeks Amazing Spider-Man - Hookey #1 mess up my series organization. The comic should go in Amazing Spider-Man series folder and just be titled Amazing Spider-Man - Hookey. But instead, on my tablet, it creates a new series called Amazing Spider-Man - Hookey with one comic in it. If I edit the info to Series - Amazing Spider-Man, Title - Hookey, it will put the comic into the Amazing Spider-Man series folder but the Title isn't shown on the comic, and it's simply listed as Amazing Spider-Man #1. Very confusing. I tried using the 'Series Group' option, but it didn't work. Is there any way for my to include comics in a series group with a different Series title?

Or is there an entirely different way for me to sort my comics like this? The options I can sort my comics by are Series, Publisher, Searches, Artist or 'All'.

If someone can help me figure this out, I'll be purchasing the full version of the app for tablet TODAY.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Trying to determine the best way to sort my comics 7 years 6 months ago #22565

• Juan
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 15
The ability to sort (and sync) by series group would be a great addition to the Android version.

Re: Trying to determine the best way to sort my comics 7 years 6 months ago #22566

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
  • Thank you received: 206
@sbooyah - if I'm understanding what you are looking to accomplish, what I'd do is leave the Series titles as they originally were. So Amazing Spider-man stays Amazing Spider-man and Amazing Spider-Man - Hookey stays Amazing Spider-Man - Hookey. Then, all the books that you would like to be grouped together give them the Series Group value of "Amazing Spider-man". You could then make a Smart List with the following settings:

You could then select this particular list to be synced to your tablet (assuming you're using an Android based tablet with ComicRack for Android installed of course).
Last Edit: 7 years 6 months ago by oraclexview.

Re: Trying to determine the best way to sort my comics 7 years 6 months ago #22567

• sbooyah
  • Fresh Boarder
That is definitely a solution, but I have close to 100 series groups as it is. Its the best suggestion offered thus far though. I appreciate it! I'm going to get started on creating my groups

Re: Trying to determine the best way to sort my comics 7 years 6 months ago #22568

• sbooyah
  • Fresh Boarder
This is a great solution actually. One question I have is: can I have multiple series groups?

For example, I have a series group for Fear Itself, which includes every book from the story arc. However, I would also like to include any Iron Man books in this story arc in another series group that will contain all Iron Man books in my collection.

Any ideas on how to achieve that? I supposed I could create searches for any books with 'Iron Man' in the title, I believe the android app supports that.

By the way, I bought the app ;]

Thanks a bunch! Comic Rack is amazing!

Re: Trying to determine the best way to sort my comics 7 years 6 months ago #22570

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
@sbooyah - unfortunately that's the nature of the beast sometimes when you have a lot of books to manage. I had soooo many books to organize that it took me years to get them all organized to the point that they are at now. My library still isn't quite where I want it to be, though at least I can finally find what I'm looking for now quickly. :) Good luck with setting it all up.

Re: Trying to determine the best way to sort my comics 7 years 6 months ago #22571

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
sbooyah wrote:
This is a great solution actually. One question I have is: can I have multiple series groups?

For example, I have a series group for Fear Itself, which includes every book from the story arc. However, I would also like to include any Iron Man books in this story arc in another series group that will contain all Iron Man books in my collection.

Any ideas on how to achieve that? I supposed I could create searches for any books with 'Iron Man' in the title, I believe the android app supports that.
There are different ways that you can get the results you're looking for. In my opinion it's beginning to seem like a better way for you do things is by making many Smart Lists that you can sync to ComicRack for Android. So, you could just make a Smart List titled "Iron Man" and have the criteria be:
Series contains Iron Man

You could also do the same solution for all books that have either "Spider-man" in the series field or "Amazing Spider-man" in the series field.
sbooyah wrote:
By the way, I bought the app ;]
I did too! cYo has written an excellent app for Windows and for Android. I don't part with my cash flow easily so the fact that I donate every blue moon and bought the full version Android app so that speaks volumes about how awesome these apps are!
Last Edit: 7 years 6 months ago by oraclexview.

Re: Trying to determine the best way to sort my comics (offtopic) 7 years 6 months ago #22572

• cinos
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello,

I am working in a personal script to help me sort my library. After browsing the forums, seems like some users may find it useful (like the original post). This is how it works:

If you have a library with lots of comics and you have scraped all the info using the ComicVineScraper plugin (specially Name, Number and Count for both Series and AlternateSeries), you still have a library hard to manage. My script will create a folder structure with lots of dinamic lists, based both on Series and Story Arcs (CVS stores the arc info on AlternateSeries). This is how the folder structure looks like:

- OneShot: this folder contains a dynamic list per one-shot comic in your library (in other words, lots of lists with one item). A one-shot is any comic with a number #1 of 1.

- Series
- Limited: this folder contains a dynamic list per limited series in your library. A limited series is any complete series (i.e. total comics = SeriesCount) with 12 issues or less.
- Complete: very much like 'Limited' but for series with more than 12 items.
- Incomplete: dynamic lists, one per incomplete series (any series with total comics < SeriesCount).

- Story arcs
- Complete: like completed series, but using AlternateSeries (i.e. Story arcs).
- Incomplete: like incomplete series, but using AlternateSeries (i.e. Story arcs).

This setup allows me to quickly find any comic, series or story arc. It is very useful if you love to read comics based on story-arc order, for example. If I add new comics to my collection, I just run the script again and it updates all the folders/lists with the new items.

If someone is interested, please let me know, and I'll make the script public. Also, be sure to suggest any improvement or features you may find useful :)

Re: Trying to determine the best way to sort my comics (offtopic) 7 years 6 months ago #22575

• sbooyah
  • Fresh Boarder
This sounds pretty great actually. I'm sure plenty of people would like the script.

I've just about given up with Comic Rack though. It constantly crashes on my desktop, and I've searched for solutions and just got fed up with trying. It works on my laptop, and was syncing with my Android tablet free app (granted, it took an incredibly long time to sync, even once the comics were loaded and I was simply syncing information changes) but now that I've purchased the full app, I can't get Wifi sync to work (after searching on the forums, I see that I'm not the only one) and even USB syncing keeps giving me an error.
Time to create page: 0.238 seconds

Who's Online

We have 113 guests and no members online