Welcome, Guest
Try to get help from other ComicRack users
  • Page:

TOPIC: Help organizing comics on computer

Re: Help organizing comics on computer 7 years 5 months ago #22848

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 601
@djg5125: Please go through the section on lists in the ComicRack Manual (link is in my signature).

The tutorial is here: comicrack.cyolito.com/forum/38-tutorials...y-organizer-v2#22731

The smart lists I have posted in the tutorial point to my zero day folder (E:\0 day). Just change this by editing the smart lists (by double-clicking) to your F:\Comic Books\0 Day

Yes you scrape after you have added the books to the ComicRack library.

If you need any help, I am here to help... :-)
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Help organizing comics on computer 7 years 5 months ago #22852

• djg5125
  • Fresh Boarder
Ok cool. I finished scrapping my X-Men comics and started setting up the smart lists for the main characters, series group, and format. I'm assuming that the values for all my comics for each of these must be entered manually as I don't have values for any in my comics. Main character/team is pretty self explanatory for my case since all the comics are X-Men, however, how do I determine what series group or format my comics are? Is there a website that I can use that lists which of these comics are limited, main, etc.?

I guess that question goes for crossovers as well. I wasn't exactly sure why my comics listed as limited weren't being listed in the limited smart list until I saw that those were determined by all comics that aren't crossovers.

Once again, any suggestions or help would be appreciated. I feel like this should be really simple and I'm making it way more complicated then it has to be.
Last Edit: 7 years 5 months ago by djg5125.

Re: Help organizing comics on computer 7 years 5 months ago #22868

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 601
djg5125 wrote:
I feel like this should be really simple and I'm making it way more complicated then it has to be.
All this is a matter of personal preference. So, what is written in the tutorial is essentially 'my' way of organizing comics. You can look at the tutorial to understand the basics, and then change the settings as you wish to suit your style. Both ComicRack & Library Organizer are highly customizable, and everyone can find a way to use these as per one's own likings.
djg5125 wrote:
Main character/team is pretty self explanatory for my case since all the comics are X-Men, however, how do I determine what series group or format my comics are? Is there a website that I can use that lists which of these comics are limited, main, etc.?
You can choose your own series groups. My way of doing this is that you either have a Main Character/team field filled in, or the Series Group.

While I have not found any website for this, I am an old user of the Comic Collectorz software, and I update my database in that software too. They have the series group fields filled up (in Collectorz software, not in ComicRack), so basically you get an idea. You can take a look at my post here to learn more: comicrack.cyolito.com/forum/9-feature-re...etadata-fields#19965
djg5125 wrote:
I wasn't exactly sure why my comics listed as limited weren't being listed in the limited smart list until I saw that those were determined by all comics that aren't crossovers.
I don't like the 'Main Series' & 'Limited Series' sub-folders in my Crossover folder.

For me, only big events are given the crossover treatment. For example, Secret invasion, blackest night, civil war, Fear Itself, Flashpoint etc. Smaller crossovers like, say Reign of doomsday/Schism, are not given place in the crossovers folder.

So basically when you see the books in the crossover list, you have to take a moment to see which ones are important to you. A better way for this is to edit the smart list and manually keep on adding rules like "Alternate series is Fear itself". Remove the existing rule that pulls all books with the empty (wild card) field under alternate series. Big crossovers are only 2-3 in a year, and adding new rules won't be required very often.

Once you do this, you would get only those books which have the specified crossover names in the alternate series field. Now comes another problem: What to do with books in continuity overlapping with the crossover books?

There are 2 types of crossovers. One which are self-contained e.g. Flashpoint (if you exclude 2 issues of booster gold). This means that no other book in current continuity is involved in it. You can safely mark all such books with the crossover tag.

The second kind are trouble. These are crossovers which have their own self-contained books, plus they meddle a lot with books which are in their current run as regular series at present. e.g. Blackest night, Fear Itself. So, what to do with these? You have to choose. I like to keep the crossover books in the crossover folder, and the overlapping currently running books into their respective tags. e.g. Fear itself #1 gets the 'crossover' format, while books like Journey into mystery #625 get the 'Thor' Main Character, books like ghost rider v2011 #1 get the 'ghost rider' main character.
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!

Re: Help organizing comics on computer 7 years 5 months ago #22869

• djg5125
  • Fresh Boarder
So that other software fills in the format and everything for you? I was just looking for some kind of site that lists which series are main series, limited, etc. I found Marvel Wikia to be helpful, but for some of the characters, the wiki is very much incomplete and I have comics that are listed in the wiki, but aren't organized on their particular character/team page. This at least makes sorting a little difficult for me. Wikipedia also has a similar type of system, but once again it seems like it is unfinished and missing some series and what not. Do you know of any other sites that have these series sorted like this.

As you can probably tell I've never been a huge comic book reader so I don't know much about different story arcs, series groups, etc.

Re: Help organizing comics on computer 7 years 5 months ago #22872

• djg5125
  • Fresh Boarder
I've pretty much decided I'm going to completely do away with Crossovers unless they are specifically a comic like Fear Itself that has multiple characters across the universe involved. Comics like X-Men I've decide to just sort as either a Major series or Limited. I did have two questions that I hoped could answer though.

1) Where do you sort Giant Size Issues. Do you include those in Annuals or do you use another separate smart list. I didn't think putting them in the One Shots folder made much sense.

2) When you have a comic like "X-Men: The Times & Life of Luke Bishop", how do you sort those. Do you sort it by the team since it is a X-Men comic technically, or do you make Bishop the main character and sort it in a completely different smart list in the MC folder?

Other than that I should be able to knock most of these out once I get the finally sorting down. The biggest time waster right now is getting rid of all the duplicates and comics I don't care to sort now.

Re: Help organizing comics on computer 7 years 5 months ago #22873

• FreddieP786
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11
1. I personally create a seperate smart list for Giant Size Issues. They are usually a seperate story to main story line. That's I usually keep them seperate.

2. That is a personal choice, I would usually tag them as X-men.

Dont worry about the duplicates for now. The library organiser will pick those up as long as they are scraped. It will give you an option to replace, rename or not to move them.

Re: Help organizing comics on computer 7 years 5 months ago #22874

• djg5125
  • Fresh Boarder
FreddieP786 wrote:
1. I personally create a seperate smart list for Giant Size Issues. They are usually a seperate story to main story line. That's I usually keep them seperate.

2. That is a personal choice, I would usually tag them as X-men.

Dont worry about the duplicates for now. The library organiser will pick those up as long as they are scraped. It will give you an option to replace, rename or not to move them.

Here's an even better question. For series like the "X-Men Origins: (Insert character here)" and "X-Men: Curse of the Mutants - _______________" what is best way of sorting those? Would it be better to not use a main character and have it be a Series Group such as "X-Men Origins" and "Curse of the Mutants"? Because right now they're all listed as separate series and I don't think it'd be beneficial to just store them all as One Shots.

Re: Help organizing comics on computer 7 years 5 months ago #22875

• FreddieP786
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11
Keep them as X-Men.

Your folder structure will probably end up like this:

E:\Comics\Marvel\X-Men\X-Men - Curse of the Mutants
E:\Comics\Marvel\X-Men\X-Men Origins

The idea is that you want to have all your X-men titles in one big folder, and in that folder it will be sorted by the various series.
Last Edit: 7 years 5 months ago by FreddieP786.

Re: Help organizing comics on computer 7 years 5 months ago #22890

• djg5125
  • Fresh Boarder
Is it better just to sort the list based on Main Character/Team rather than if the series name contains the character name? The only reason I ask is not all comics of a particular character/team have that in their series. For instance there are the X-Infernus and Nation X comics that are X-Men comics, but aren't getting sorted into my list since X-Men isn't in their series.

Re: Help organizing comics on computer 7 years 5 months ago #22898

• djg5125
  • Fresh Boarder
EDIT: Nevermind figured it out.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.292 seconds

Who's Online

We have 128 guests and no members online