Welcome, Guest
Try to get help from other ComicRack users

TOPIC: Total Newb needs help

Total Newb needs help 9 years 2 weeks ago #2565

• CDHayz
  • Fresh Boarder
My deepest and sincere apologies, but this will be one of those posts where a guy(me) just doesn't get it. With that intro...

I was just introduced to this software and it seems really cool. I really want to use it for all my comic reading needs. However, after spending an hour with it, and that includes reading the forums, I feel that it might be too complex for what I need (or I may be too simple a user). I want to ask a few questions to verify this:

1) Is there a setting to tell the software to read .jpg files (or .png, .tif, etc.) instead of compressed files? This isn't a big deal but I would rather not go through all my folders to compress the files.

2) Is there a way to add tags to the software without using scripts? From my scan of the forums, CR's users are doing wiz-bang stuff with scripts, and while the description of some of them make my jaw drop, the reality is that I don't need much of that functionality. I see in the Get Info window that you can add descriptive info and I see a place for tags, but there's no place to edit. Do I need to use scripts just to add custom tag info?

3) I have a feeling that the Library tab would be very helpful, but I'm having a hard time adding things to new lists. While the Edit option is available for some of the Smart List items, when I make custom lists or folders, I can't edit them. Am I thinking about these correctly?

I looked through the documentation, what there was, and couldn't find any answers to these questions. No biggie, I understand that the documentation is under construction and probably isn't quite ready for total newbs like myself. However, that means I need to turn to the kind members on this forum. Any suggestion where I can go to get the info I'm looking for? Is this software better suited for people who have scripting and programming experience?

Thanks for any suggestions!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Total Newb needs help 9 years 1 week ago #2596

• quidam
  • Platinum Boarder
  • not for nom
  • Thank you received: 23
Don't worry. ComicRack is not a program where knowledge of scripting is obligatory. It's just takes time to get used to it because of rich features it provides.

1. No, and AFAIK there won't be - CR was never meant to be viewer for uncompressed images. For great image viewers try XnView or IrfanView instead.

2. First, you must add comic (or whole folder) to library to be able to add new / edit tags. You can right clik on folder in browser and see option to add it to library.

3. Drag&drop files/folders to your custom list from windows explorer.

Re:Total Newb needs help 9 years 1 week ago #2598

• Sopoforic
  • Junior Boarder
CDHayz wrote:
2) Is there a way to add tags to the software without using scripts? From my scan of the forums, CR's users are doing wiz-bang stuff with scripts, and while the description of some of them make my jaw drop, the reality is that I don't need much of that functionality. I see in the Get Info window that you can add descriptive info and I see a place for tags, but there's no place to edit. Do I need to use scripts just to add custom tag info?

3) I have a feeling that the Library tab would be very helpful, but I'm having a hard time adding things to new lists. While the Edit option is available for some of the Smart List items, when I make custom lists or folders, I can't edit them. Am I thinking about these correctly?
Regarding tags: the place for tags is just a text box--tags can be entered as a comma separated list. For example, "Golden Age, Social Issues, Adapted to a Movie".

Regarding lists: you can just drag the comics you want onto the list if it's a simple list. Smartlists let you set rules, so you could have an automatically updated list of all DC comics published in June of any year since 1978, or whatever other criteria you like.
Time to create page: 0.359 seconds

Who's Online

We have 222 guests and 2 members online