Welcome, Guest
Try to get help from other ComicRack users

TOPIC: Where does the character data get stored?

Where does the character data get stored? 10 years 2 months ago #3046

• Dep
  • Senior Boarder
Hello,

I've been trying to enter character data (and also writer, artist, etc etc) using comicrack and the problem I need to address is where is this data actually being stored? I have several errors i've made and want to change although I can't find a file that comicrack uses where this data is actually being stored so that I can manually open it and fix my errors. For instance i entered in a comics credits that credited Mike Carlin as the editor (or writer) and then later on in another series he is credited as Michael Carlin. I didn't notice that I had already entered Mike Carlin previously and entered his name in the new format. Now I have two Michael "Mike" Carlin's in my database somewhere and would like to consilidate them into 1 entry. I find that I couldn't remove either of the entries in the program itself (it doesn't allow me to edit the credits fields to remove data or mistakes).

I guess this is a question and a request. The question is how to edit characters and credits directly in the file they are being stored in (they have to be stored somewhere I assume similar to generes.txt for instace although i can't find where). The request is to add a feature to remove entries from both the characters fields and the other entry fields (writer, artist, etc. etc.). Adding this feature (removal of mistakes from the creator & character fields) would be great and appreciated by some of us (especially those of us like myself that can't figure out where the data is stored to fix manually lol). Well there is my greedy little question for the day. By the way cylo thanks for this program it has allowed me to make an interesting little database of comic creators and character appearances and it only gets better and better with each new version you create. I look forward to the next year or so to see what you come up with next :)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Where does the character data get stored? 10 years 2 months ago #3048

• Dep
  • Senior Boarder
Ok, I don't need this answered anymore. I've found the data stored in my "ComicDb.xml" file. I expected as it would be repeated so often across many titles and series that this would be a seperate file to reduce redundancy and speed up searches. Now I will be able to go in and fix my errors and remove duplicate entries.

I think creating seperate files for storing some of this repetitive yet similar data might be something to consider (publishers.txt, creators.txt, characters.txt, etc. etc.) It may help people with huge databases find and fix errors more quickly. My database file for instance is 154 megs currently. opening that up in notepad can take some time.

Re:Where does the character data get stored? 10 years 2 months ago #3057

• Shinrai
  • Platinum Boarder
  • With great power comes great W/T.
  • Thank you received: 93
Why can you not edit it in the program? I do this myself all the time...
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds

Who's Online

We have 110 guests and no members online