Welcome, Guest
Try to get help from other ComicRack users
  • Page:

TOPIC: Macbook Air vs Macbook Pro

Macbook Air vs Macbook Pro 5 years 1 week ago #36751

• Wolfbanes
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Hello fellow ComicRack users, I hope some of you more technological advance users can help me decide which format I should buy. A little information a5 this time all I intend to use it for is to scrape, organize and read my comics on it. Should I purchase the Air or the Pro or just purchase a PC. If it is determined that I should get a Macbook Pro then should I wait until next month when the Haswell processor is released. Thank you.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Macbook Air vs Macbook Pro 5 years 1 week ago #36752

• kenjio
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 127
IMHO (as an avid Mac opposer) - buying a Mac for such simple tasks is throwing money away.
They're good machines, they look nice, they have many pros - just not enough to justify the price tag.
For that money, I'd rather go for a PC.

First off, there is no native MAC OS version of Comicrack (and by god, I hope we get a Linux one before we get a Mac one - though I suspect they'd be relatively close) - so you'd either be installing Windows and dual booting (and what's the point of that?) - or running a virtual machine(even worse).
Secondly, buck for buck, you'll get more storage on a PC - more storage = more comics.

I'd go for a PC over a Mac any day of the week, but given your main use, I'd say it's a no-brainer.
I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!

Re: Macbook Air vs Macbook Pro 5 years 1 week ago #36755

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 559
I have a MacBook Pro & A Mac Mini. These are the b-e-s-t devices (hardware as well as software) I have ever worked on. Not agreeing with my dear friend kenjio there, I think that the price tag is also quite justified.

I built my own PC last year (with the help of my friends shinrai & manders), and it is very close to my heart. If I were to choose one out of my PC & my Mac(s), I'll go for my PC. Why? Because it runs ComicRack. If someday I decide that I no longer need ComicRack (huh?), I'll never touch a PC from that day on. ;-)
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
Last Edit: 5 years 1 week ago by 600WPMPO.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shinrai

Re: Macbook Air vs Macbook Pro 5 years 1 week ago #36757

• kenjio
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 127
[troll mode]Sigh, you Apple fanboys with your crazy cult...[/troll mode]

Kidding aside,
all I intend to use it for is to scrape, organize and read my comics on it

with that premise, there would be no benefit in choosing a Mac at this time. With any other necessity, I think the debate would be open. Like this, no way!!
I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!

Re: Macbook Air vs Macbook Pro 5 years 1 week ago #36758

• 600WPMPO
kenjio wrote:
Kidding aside,
all I intend to use it for is to scrape, organize and read my comics on it

with that premise, there would be no benefit in choosing a Mac at this time. With any other necessity, I think the debate would be open. Like this, no way!!
Exactly. The one word 'scrape' makes the decision a no-brainer! :P

Re: Macbook Air vs Macbook Pro 5 years 1 week ago #36759

• Wolfbanes
  • Junior Boarder
Kenjio,

Thank you for your input, I also am a Windows based person but their is a lot of people telling me that the MAC is the next best thing since man found fire and I have been thinking about giving it a whirl.

600 you said
Exactly. The one word 'scrape' makes the decision a no-brainer! 
so I am guessing that you think that I shouldn't waste my time. AND I agree but the wife wants a MAC, I'm just looking for something to be able to carry from one room to another so I can organize my collection while spending time with the family instead of being tied down to my bulky 17.5 laptop in the man cave and having the wife yell at me. Later I may do video burning and photoshop programs but I have a desktop for that. Thank you my friends for that insight and I pretty well thought the same thing but you know a man and his shiny objects lol. And sometimes a no brainer isn't always easy to see when shiny objects are involved.

Re: Macbook Air vs Macbook Pro 5 years 1 week ago #36760

• 600WPMPO
Wolfbanes wrote:
...but the wife wants a MAC.

:laugh:

The following user(s) said Thank You: startreksteve

Re: Macbook Air vs Macbook Pro 5 years 1 week ago #36761

• Wolfbanes
  • Junior Boarder

LoL I said she wanted one not that I was going to cave in :) But we all know that hell has no fury like a woman scorned. Hence the man cave (Witness Protection)

Re: Macbook Air vs Macbook Pro 5 years 1 week ago #36762

• 600WPMPO
Wolfbanes,

<serious mode start>
It appears to me that you haven't yet got a chance in your life to work on a Mac. I always say that life is so short that we should try to experience everything within our capacity (& try for more). I suggest you leave your desire to scrape with ComicRack on a Mac. Keep your comics on an external hard drive, scrape with ComicTagger on the Mac & use ComicbookLover to organise. Experience things. See how the Mac works. Decide for yourself how (& in what respects) are Windows & OSX different & which is superior in which.
<serious mode end>

And make her happy too, 'cause there is no greater peace of mind than a happy wife! :laugh:

Re: Macbook Air vs Macbook Pro 5 years 1 week ago #36764

• Wolfbanes
  • Junior Boarder
<serious mode start>
Thank you for being candid and no unfortunately I have not had the pleasure working on a Mac, I have held one and turned it on and unfortunately a little confused by it.

Now I keep all my comics on an external hard drive and have already scraped a few with ComicVine Scraper, now as we both know I am pretty new at this and I am just starting to learn how to use ComicRack and all of it's scripts. Is ComicTagger & ComicbookLover basically the same concept and functions as their counterparts. Will the scraped info from ComicVine still be read in ComicTagger. I would love to try the MAC as it gets great reviews and it looks awesome and I love my Ipad but at heart I am more knowledgeable with Windows and feel more comfortable but I have never had a problem of reaching out of my comfort zone I just want to make sure that I am not wasting all that awesome MAC power by not utilizing it to it's fullest. I appreciate your advice and wisdom as always.
<serious mode end>

Plus I am looking at a desktop for the wife because she is interested in taking up photography. And yes when my wife is happy everyone is happy.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.248 seconds

Who's Online

We have 192 guests and one member online