Welcome, Guest
Try to get help from other ComicRack users
  • Page:

TOPIC: Using tags

Using tags 3 years 5 months ago #38612

• PapaBear
  • Fresh Boarder
So I had a complex set of tags for all of my comics, however I had some computer problems and had to reformat my drive. All the information that I had imported from ComicVine was saved in my comics but not the tags that I placed. Just so this does not happen in the future is there a way to save and back up the tags?

Is there any good scripts out there to help import tags? Or any other links relating to tags? I'll keep searching as well.

Cheers.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Using tags 3 years 5 months ago #38639

• PapaBear
  • Fresh Boarder
So yesterday I got a Windows Boot Loop for the first time and I had to reinstall Windows for the second time this month.

I lost all my blasted tags again. Could some one please be kind enough and let me know if there is anyway of saving the tag information?

Using tags 3 years 5 months ago #38640

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
ComicRackManual (6th ed) page 94:
  1. Make a copy of the entire %appdata%/cyo/comicrack directory. If you made changes to ComicRack.ini in program files, then make a copy of that too.
  2. Copy the comics to the new computer and put them in the EXACT path they are in on the current one, meaning if they are at c:/users/owned/comics on the current one, they need to be in that location on the new system. The folder structure must be identical.
  3. Install ComicRack on the new system.
  4. Copy the contents of %appdata%/cyo/comicrack to the %appdata%/cyo/comicrack directory on the new system (it may not be the same exact path if user name is different but that’s fine in this case) and overwrite everything. If you need to, also put the ComicRack.ini in the program files and overwrite the default).
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
Last Edit: 3 years 5 months ago by 600WPMPO.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PapaBear

Using tags 3 years 5 months ago #38642

• PapaBear
  • Fresh Boarder
Where do I find this %appdata%/cyo/comicrack directory?

I'm not finding anything that says that at all. Sorry I stopped trying to keep up with computers halfway through Windows 98.

Never mind I found it through searching on Google. C:\Users\(your name)\AppData\Local\cYo
Last Edit: 3 years 5 months ago by PapaBear.

Using tags 1 year 6 months ago #45097

• PapaBear
  • Fresh Boarder
Is there a way to change the path? I now want to move my comics to a 1TB portable drive and I would hate to have to redo all of my tags again.

Here is another question. Why is the %appdata%/cyo/comicrack directory so large? Mine is almost 3 gig.
Last Edit: 1 year 6 months ago by PapaBear. Reason: added info

Using tags 1 year 6 months ago #45121

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 247
Talking about backing up tags, I have often considered a solution could be to back up tags into an unused text field. For example you could copy the data into Notes if you don't use that field and you could use Data Manager rules to backup and or repopulate tags or any other field. That way the fileds you want to save are stored in the XML file in the books themselves and are immune from data loss on a wider level.

I envisage a notes field looking like this:

Tags:ANAD,Avengers,Floppy in box 10:TagsStore:Forbidden Planet:StoreConcept:ANAD:Concept

and then using regex replace with terms like Tags:(.*):Tags or Store:(.*):Store to repopulate the fields.

I have done this as a proof of concept with Tags but it relies on not using whichever field you choose as a data store, or putting up with appended data in those fields. See Here
Last Edit: 1 year 6 months ago by jkthemac.

Using tags 1 year 6 months ago #45123

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
PapaBear wrote:
Is there a way to change the path? I now want to move my comics to a 1TB portable drive and I would hate to have to redo all of my tags again.

If you want to move lots of files I believe search and replace is the best. Move all files in bulk and then within comicrack you can use Right-click/Automation/search and replace/FilePath and change the volume letter and or folder names.

It is probably worth copying first and testing on a subset to be ceratin you have the search and replace correct.

Of course if you already use Library Organizer (and at least check it out, it is an essential script for placing files into folders and helping you move new files into place) you can just change the folder locations there and run that on everything to move the library.

Using tags 1 year 6 months ago #45152

• PapaBear
  • Fresh Boarder
I'm programing stupid. If it doesn't allow me to click a button "change path" or what ever then it will be beyond me. Even the simplest jargon is foreign to me.

Would this Library Organizer script do me any good now or would I have to delete all the files I've copied over then use the script to move my files again? I read the first few posts but it actually does not say what it does in plain english.
Last Edit: 1 year 6 months ago by PapaBear.

Using tags 1 year 6 months ago #45154

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
Well the simple way is

1: copy every book over using the operating system in exactly the same folder structure. (assume C: and X:)
(so if all your books are in C:\Comics then copy the whole Comics directory to X)
2: show every book in comicrack in one view (use library without any filters)
3: select all (Control A)
4: Rightclick a file / Automation / Search and Replace
5: Select File Path from pull down
6: Type C: into search
7: Type X: into replace
8: Hit OK

9: Double check each entry in Comicrack still has a book (open a couple)
10: Delete your books from C:

PS another thread had a user do this and loose comics because the copy failed somehow. It is probably worth looking through the new directory and making sure there are no comics missing or zero length files before you delete the old ones. Everything is reversable until you delete those comics in the original drive.

Using tags 1 year 6 months ago #45179

• PapaBear
  • Fresh Boarder
Unfortunately that won't work. Because on my D: it is organised into sub folders for example D:My Stuff/Comics/ComicSubfolders. The new drive everything is just going into G: and the comic subfolders are just placed in there.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.197 seconds

Who's Online

We have 233 guests and 3 members online