Welcome, Guest
Try to get help from other ComicRack users
  • Page:

TOPIC: Comics sometimes appear with the colors in negative (reversed)

Comics sometimes appear with the colors in negative (reversed) 3 years 3 months ago #39950

• Agama
  • Fresh Boarder
I can't find any other posts about this, which initially surprised me, as I've run into this with at least 3 or 4 of the 30 or so comics that I've tested out in ComicRack so far. Has anyone else had a problem in ComicRack where certain comics get added to the library but appear with their colors reversed, as if they were a film negative?

Below is an example of The Dynamite Art of Alex Ross, which is a PDF file from a recent Humble Bundle (you can't see it in the screenshot, but the cover image in the library browser window also has its colors reversed). The colors appear normal when the file is viewed in a regular PDF viewer, though, so I'm not sure if it's a quirk with this particular file or if it's something acting up in ComicRack. I also had a couple of .CBZ files look like this too, so it's not isolated to PDFs.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Comics sometimes appear with the colors in negative (reversed) 3 years 3 months ago #39951

• Agama
  • Fresh Boarder
Sorry - the attachment didn't work. Here's a web link to the image:

Comics sometimes appear with the colors in negative (reversed) 3 years 3 months ago #39959

• Targg
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Most often this happens when the color profile for the image is CMYK instead of RGB. There are programs out there that can convert the images to RGB, most notably Photoshop.

www.overnightprints.com/difference-between-cmyk-rgb

Comics sometimes appear with the colors in negative (reversed) 3 years 3 months ago #39960

• Agama
  • Fresh Boarder
So, the solution is to rip the images from the PDF and then convert them in a paid program? Surely this had got to be a quirk with ComicRack that can be fixed, especially since all the other PDF viewers I tried worked fine with this file?

Comics sometimes appear with the colors in negative (reversed) 3 years 3 months ago #39969

• Shinrai
  • Platinum Boarder
  • With great power comes great W/T.
  • Thank you received: 81
I don't know that this has ever come up before. CMYK is typically only used for something that's intended for professional printing, which obviously isn't the case for most digital comics (either official releases or scans, either way they're intended for display on RGB monitors). It may be that it's an easy fix for cYo that just hasn't been requested previously.
Last Edit: 3 years 3 months ago by Shinrai. Reason: typo

Comics sometimes appear with the colors in negative (reversed) 3 years 3 months ago #39970

• Agama
  • Fresh Boarder
Is there an easy way for me to see if my affected files' colors are CMYK?

Or for that matter, did anyone else here happen to pick up the Dynamite Comics Humble eBook Bundle a couple weeks back and can see if ComicRack affects the same files? The Green Hornet CBZ files were similarly affected for me.

Thanks for the suggestions so far and any other tips people might have!

Comics sometimes appear with the colors in negative (reversed) 3 years 3 months ago #39971

• Targg
  • Senior Boarder
For the CBZ file, it is easy. Unzip it, right click on the image in question, and check the Properties. Under Details there should be a spot that says either CMYK or RGB.

I know that CMYK images also give problems to other widely used comic readers as well.

As for the Alex Ross book in the Dynamite Humble Bundle, I have it too and had to convert it to a RGB profile and to cbz in Photoshop so that the image shows correctly.

Comics sometimes appear with the colors in negative (reversed) 3 years 2 months ago #40101

• Agama
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for the tip, Targg. I think I had the formats mixed up in my mind, as I just double-checked, and my CBZ files appear to be ok, but just about all the PDFs I got from that Humble Bundle appear with the colors in negative. This is really frustrating, since the hi-def PDFs are usually a higher quality than the CBZ files, so I'd rather go with those if I can, but they don't play nice in ComicRack.

Is handling a CMYK color scheme in PDF files something that would be welcomed as a feature request for ComicRack, even if it's something for much further down the line? Thanks!

Comics sometimes appear with the colors in negative (reversed) 3 years 2 months ago #40117

• Targg
  • Senior Boarder
I know this doesn't answer your question, but the Dynamite Humble Bundle was very low res (about 1000px on average). They aren't like the Image Humble Bundle, which capped out at 3000px.

Comics sometimes appear with the colors in negative (reversed) 3 years 2 months ago #40119

• Agama
  • Fresh Boarder
Yes, while that's true, the PDFs from the Image Bundle also appear in ComicRack for me with the colors reversed. I realize that CBZ and CBR are ComicRack's strong suit, but I'm obviously getting frustrated with its PDF support, since I have a number of comics that are only in that format. I know you said earlier that you can rectify the color issue with a manual workaround, but that would be incredibly tedious to do and seems unnecessarily when other PDF readers can handle CMYK colors fine.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.197 seconds

Who's Online

We have 189 guests and one member online