Welcome, Guest
Try to get help from other ComicRack users

TOPIC: Scrape Release Date?

Scrape Release Date? 3 years 4 months ago #42283

• Moonboi
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I am trying to set up ComicRack for my little brother and I can't remember what I need to do to get the release date to scrape for each issue. I've checked the manual and did a search but I just can't find the answer. Can someone please help or at least point me in the right direction?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Scrape Release Date? 3 years 4 months ago #42285

• cbanack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 550
Are you referring to the published date of the comic (which is called the "cover date" on Comic Vine), or the release date of the comic (called the "in store date" on Comic Vine)?

The published date is available for nearly all comics, and will get scraped into the Year, Month and Day fields in the "Details" tab of your Comic Book's info dialog. The release date is not always available from Comic Vine, but if it is, it will appear under "release date" in the "Catalog" tab of the Comic Book info dialog. I can't remember, but I think there is some special setting you have to turn on to make the "Catalog" tab appear.

All you need to do to scrape these values is make sure they are selected in the "Details" tab of the Comic Vine Scraper settings dialog. They are selected by default, so if you haven't turned them off, this should already be working.

Scrape Release Date? 3 years 4 months ago #42286

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 267
cbanack wrote:
I can't remember, but I think there is some special setting you have to turn on to make the "Catalog" tab appear.

For it always to be visible you need to untick:

Preferences / Behavior / Application / Show Catalog fields only for fileless Books

Scrape Release Date? 3 years 4 months ago #42291

• Moonboi
  • Junior Boarder
Yes I meant the "in store date". I have the settings set to show the Catalog field and everything is checked on the comicvince scraper but for some reason the release dates aren't being scraped. I know the dates are in comicvine because I have them scrapped on my own computer but because release date doesn't save to the actual file that info didn't transfer to the new computer.

Scrape Release Date? 3 years 4 months ago #42292

• cbanack
  • Platinum Boarder
Moonboi wrote:
Yes I meant the "in store date". I have the settings set to show the Catalog field and everything is checked on the comicvince scraper but for some reason the release dates aren't being scraped. I know the dates are in comicvine because I have them scrapped on my own computer but because release date doesn't save to the actual file that info didn't transfer to the new computer.

I think it's possible that ComicRack doesn't store the release date in the Comic file, it may only be kept in the application's own database.

So are you saying that if you (re)scrape a comic on your new computer, it doesn't get the release date anymore? Can you give me an example of a specific comic book where this happens?
Last Edit: 3 years 3 months ago by cbanack.

Scrape Release Date? 3 years 3 months ago #42593

• Moonboi
  • Junior Boarder
Sorry for the delay in replying. I was out of the country. My brother is trying to read the New52 comics. I had already scrapped them all with the "in store date" plus a bunch of other info I added myself. I copied the comics to an external drive and have them to him. When we loaded them onto his computer the in store release dates were missing. I uncheck the box to make the catalog tab appear in every Comic but when I try to recrape the in store date still isn't being scrapped. Is there something in the ini file that I need to change or is there something else I need to do

Scrape Release Date? 3 years 3 months ago #42594

• cbanack
  • Platinum Boarder
Well, like I said, it's possible that the "in store date" is somehow being lost when you move the comics to a new drive--make sure you have the "Allow Writing of Book Info to Files" option turned on when you scrape your comics, to ensure that the data is written out to the individual files. (See here.)

But even if the in-store date is somehow being lost, re-scraping *should* fix things. One obvious possibility is that the comic(s) you are looking at don't actually have in-store dates on Comic Vine, or even that they did, but then the in-store dates were later removed. That's unlikely for any of the New 52 comics, though. I can check a specific comic myself if you tell me the name and issue of one where you're seeing this problem.

Another thing you could try: right click one or more of the comics that have this problem, and choose "Clear Data". That will completely remove all scraped data from the comic. Then scrape it again. In effect you will be starting over "fresh". Maybe that will sort things out...
Last Edit: 3 years 3 months ago by cbanack.

Scrape Release Date? 3 years 2 months ago #42601

• Silentgray
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
I know from experience that the Released Date (New Comic day) is not held in the comic file. I had all of mine scraped and then it crashed and had to move them and the Release date was lost. I rescrape fixed the issue would me nice to have that saved into the comic file instead of Published date which seems to be way after the book is actually on the shelf.

Scrape Release Date? 9 months 4 days ago #48851

• Xelloss
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 150
EVERY TIME I THINK I KNOW EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT COMICRACK I FIND SOMETHING NEW :P

Ok, I didn't know comicrack had release date as a field... I discovered it because I was trying to edit comicvine script to load and save it, only to find it already did and I never knew... :P

I spent all weekend adding release dates in the comicvine site to comics in my collection that didn't have it (about 5% of them). Still A LOT to be done, but I am glad to be able to help CV people with their site by improving my collection at the same time :)

Also having a lot of new ideas about using release date for a lot of scripts... For example is a GREAT way to separate in my fileless comics (which I scraped from comicvine to know missing comics) the ones that are new ones and reprints (reprints as TPB or HC doesn't have a difference between release and publishing date in 99% of the cases, while regular comics have an average of 2 month of difference in 95% of the cases)
Last Edit: 9 months 4 days ago by Xelloss.
Time to create page: 0.192 seconds

Who's Online

We have 106 guests and one member online