Welcome, Guest
Try to get help from other ComicRack users

TOPIC: Comics Files are Disappearing

Comics Files are Disappearing 2 years 2 months ago #42704

• Kreos
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
After getting the week's comics, I organized them like I always do and then did a "scan for new books." And some books came back as not there. I thought that was odd, so I checked and sure enough, the files were gone.

I got the files again, did the same thing and watched them delete from the folder when I did a new scan. They aren't going to the recycle bin, either. They are simply gone.

I have never had this happen before. I just installed Windows 10. Is there some compatibility issue? I have all my ComicRack settings exactly like they were on 8.1. What is the most maddening is that they are disappearing. I double checked Windows Defender - it hadn't quarantined them.

Any help would be appreciated!

EDIT TO ADD:
I did a couple of tests to make sure it was ComicRack. I checked the file first in a zip program; no problem seeing the issues there. I ripped the individual jogs out of the file and created a new cbz. Checked it, fine. Opened it up in ComicRack and it was gone.

EDIT #2
After more experimentation, I have discovered the files are getting deleted when I update the book info. There seems to be no rhyme or reason as to which books are affected. If I don't allow ComicRack to write the book info into the file, it is fine.
Last Edit: 2 years 2 months ago by Kreos.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dockens, SiPfan

Comics Files are Disappearing 2 years 2 months ago #42709

• dockens
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I believe I am having the same problem. See this topic: "converting-to-cbz-problems-file-disappearing". I had files disappearing either when I updated them through the scraper or converted them to cbz.

Comics Files are Disappearing 2 years 2 months ago #42712

• n8thagr8
  • Fresh Boarder
Having the same issue, anyone know what to do?

Comics Files are Disappearing 2 years 2 months ago #42720

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 248
This all sounds like the behaviour of Windows when a trustedinstaller account is different to the user account. When that becomes an issue, files created by programs can seem to dissapear because the current user does not have permission to see it, people report watching files that are being written suddenly dissapearing, and often the files can still be opened from within the program.

Do the files sometimes come back for unknown reasons?

Have you tried replicating the issue either in safe mode or with the admin account?

I am not an expert in how this is resolved but the behaviur sounds just like this issue and it would explain why it is suddenly happening now. Microsoft update may be bringing W7 & W8 behaviours in line with W10 with the upgrade path in mind and resetting trusted user settings that have been turned off or overridden in the past.
Last Edit: 2 years 2 months ago by jkthemac.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SiPfan

Comics Files are Disappearing 2 years 2 months ago #42722

• Kreos
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
Well, there is only one account on this computer, and its the admin. It's also a clean install of windows 10, so there isn't a upgrade/legacy issue on that front. I've not tried this in safe mode. As for the trusted installer, my first time opening comicrack after install, it asked me if I wanted to trust it and I said yes.

I agree that it is probably a compatabity issue between the new OS and the old program. This is definitely a step in the fight direction. Also, since I turned off the write to file option, I'm not losing books. So I can take some time and figure this out.

Comics Files are Disappearing 2 years 2 months ago #42738

• noakai
  • Fresh Boarder
The exact same thing is happening to me. I use the scraper, then when I go to update the book file, it will vanish from my hard drive. I've done the same as the first person in this thread, too - opened up the original folder so I could see what was happening, selected 'update book file' in CR, and watched the file vanish from the original folder like something is deleting it. It's very random - it doesn't do it all the time, but often it will delete an entire folder's worth (7-8 comics) at once. It's very odd.

I'm still on Windows 8.1. There is only one account on this computer. Also, I just downloaded this program 4 days ago and started using it, I dunno if that's relevant or not.
Last Edit: 2 years 2 months ago by noakai.

Comics Files are Disappearing 2 years 2 months ago #42739

• SiPfan
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Same story here. Uninstalled .9176 Reinstalled it. Opened a few cbz's, no problem. Downloaded Scraper and scraped them. Bang, vanished from Explorer window like they weren't ever there. Window in ComicRack switched to giant Red X of doom. Saw this a few times today but figured it was my housecleaning at fault. No telling how many files have been trashed.

Windows 8.1. Only account on PC besides the hidden Admin account I suppose.
The martyrs and madmen I learned of in school will remember my name.

-Kevin Gilbert
1966-1996

Comics Files are Disappearing 2 years 2 months ago #42740

• kenjio
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 127
I had a similar problem. A full uninstall (including the folders in appdata/local and appdata/roaming) and clean install removed the issue. Be sure to backup the database first.
I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!

Comics Files are Disappearing 2 years 2 months ago #42741

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 248
If there is only one account on Windows 7 or later, Windows kind of treats it like two accounts anyway (or at least one account with strange permission configurations) so that doesn’t necessarily preclude the issue being related to account permissions.

I have encountered this behaviour before with other programs and I can't think of any other reason for the issue to occur. It is certainly unlikely to be an issue with CR or the scripts because the issue would be much more widespread.

There are also a few reports sprinkled around the net of this behaviour occurring with other programs in the last few weeks including Word and Excel, which also points to an operating system problem.

Reinstalling the program could certainly fix some permission issues so I am not surprised that this has worked for some.

One way to check, if an issue that has disappeared, that has been opened recently, was still in the "frequent" section in the taskbar shortcut menu for ComicRack, you may be able to open it despite it being invisible.
Last Edit: 2 years 2 months ago by jkthemac.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dockens

Comics Files are Disappearing 2 years 2 months ago #42742

• dockens
  • Fresh Boarder
Like Kenjio, a full uninstall and reinstall fixed this issue for me. I didn't delete the appdata/local and appdata/roaming folders though.

EDIT: Despite this, I do think it would be great if we could figure out the underlying issue with this problem. I am pretty sure it will pop back up again and I really don't want to have to uninstall/reinstall everytime.

EDIT 2: After closing ComicRack and saving the database, and then opening it back up, the problem is back. Not only that, all of the books I successfully converted/scraped/added to my library yesterday are now gone. I ave backups of all these books so I didn't completely lose them, but until/if this problem is resolved, I don't see how I can continue to use CR.
Last Edit: 2 years 2 months ago by dockens.
Time to create page: 0.218 seconds

Who's Online

We have 186 guests and 5 members online