Welcome, Guest
Try to get help from other ComicRack users

TOPIC: Comics Files are Disappearing

Comics Files are Disappearing 2 years 4 months ago #42743

• schroder08
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
I'm also having this problem. It's strange, I haven't updated anything lately afaik, still on windows 8.1. When I update a file, I noticed the free space on my drive increases. That makes me think it gets actively deleted bypassing the recycle bin.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Comics Files are Disappearing 2 years 4 months ago #42744

• noakai
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Same thing happened to me. Reinstalled, it worked fine until I closed and re-opened CR, then CR started deleting books when it updated the book info.
Last Edit: 2 years 4 months ago by noakai.

Comics Files are Disappearing 2 years 4 months ago #42756

• schroder08
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
Perhaps there was an update on Windows? That's the only common thread I can think of.

Comics Files are Disappearing 2 years 4 months ago #42763

• SiPfan
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
So with this issue being days old now, few users impacted and no hint of workarounds, new versions or fixes, it's beginning to look like this is here to stay, isn't it? How would one even CHECK to see if the other account file permissions issue was at fault? I've never even opened the hidden Admin account.

I rely on CR for iPad and PC both. Going to be a deeply difficult transition to a new program and nothing has s Scraper that I'm aware of. This is kind of crushing. It's nearly as bad as the user who just lost 4 gigs due to a bad system crash. Changes the entire dynamic of collection and reading the files. Hoping something changes but this looks grim.
The martyrs and madmen I learned of in school will remember my name.

-Kevin Gilbert
1966-1996

Comics Files are Disappearing 2 years 4 months ago #42765

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 253
Try here for getting into admin The main thing to check is if the missing files are visible via this account. If they are then it is clearly a permissions issue.

I would be tempted to uninstall and reinstall in admin as a first option regardless.

Also, is the folder with your files a shared folder? That can sometimes cause issues but there are workarounds for that one.
Last Edit: 2 years 4 months ago by jkthemac.

Comics Files are Disappearing 2 years 4 months ago #42766

• vacaboca
  • Fresh Boarder
I'm having this issue as well, Windows 8.1, no changes to my system other than windows updates at some point in the last week or so. I last used ComicRack about 10 days ago - going in today to add a few comics, and then on converting CBR>CBZ I see nothing but red X marks... and I see that the comics are gone. The CBR files were in the recycle bin, so I was able to pull them back out and try again, etc., but no luck.

I don't have time for an uninstall/reinstall right this minute, but it sounds like it's re-appeared for someone else that did that and fixed it, so for now I'm just going to wait until someone gets a clear understanding of what's going on and how to fix it. I'm not touching my library until then :/

Comics Files are Disappearing 2 years 4 months ago #42768

• Kreos
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
So I have a few short term patches. These won't solve the problem, but they will stop the comics from disappearing.

1. Don't covert the files to cbz in CR. If you have to have your files converted, do so in another program before you add them to your library (I already use Bulk Rename Utility).

2. Go into preferences and under advanced, uncheck "Allow writing of Book info into the files" AND "Book files are updated automatically." With these turned off, your books won't disappear (at least, they don't for me).

For me, it is still fine to scrape. It is the updating - whether automatically or manually - that is causing the files to disappear. The downside to this is that all the info for new books is being stored locally and not in the actual book file. But, I'm willing to let that happen short-term until a real fix is put in place.

I hope this helps!
The following user(s) said Thank You: dockens, Marv74br, Silentgray, noakai

Comics Files are Disappearing 2 years 4 months ago #42769

• dockens
  • Fresh Boarder
@jkthemac, that link just brings me back to the top of this thread's page, did you mean this? It sounds like the information you meant to provide might help some of us to at least narrow down the cause.

Comics Files are Disappearing 2 years 4 months ago #42770

• noakai
  • Fresh Boarder
Kreos's temporary fixes worked to make the files stop vanishing. In case it matters: I haven't converted any files to CBZ. I have uninstalled and reinstalled as the admin, the files still vanished (as in totally gone, not put into the recycle bin, they just vanish).

Also, what's still really weird is that it's not all books that it does this with. I have the books arranged in lists that are story arcs and I would be able to update the book info for 4-5 arcs (quite a few books) and then I'd get down the list to a different arc and an entire arc's worth of books would be deleted when I updated their book info. And if I went and re-downloaded the files and put it back in the folder it was deleted from, sometimes CR would delete them again (without me even trying to update the book info). Dunno if any of this helps but just in case.
Last Edit: 2 years 4 months ago by noakai.

Comics Files are Disappearing 2 years 4 months ago #42772

• Stonepaw
  • Thank you received: 268
Kreos wrote:
So I have a few short term patches. These won't solve the problem, but they will stop the comics from disappearing.

1. Don't covert the files to cbz in CR. If you have to have your files converted, do so in another program before you add them to your library (I already use Bulk Rename Utility).
Unless I'm mistaken, bulk rename untility just renames files. It won't change the file type from cbr to cbz.
Last Edit: 2 years 4 months ago by Stonepaw.
Time to create page: 0.445 seconds

Who's Online

We have 253 guests and 3 members online