Welcome, Guest
Try to get help from other ComicRack users

TOPIC: Comics Files are Disappearing

Comics Files are Disappearing 2 years 4 months ago #42773

• schroder08
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
This is simply anecdotally successful and not to be taken as fact until people with knowledge prove it, but I may have had some success. Looking through Windows update, there was a "recommended" update KB2976978. Now, it seems recommended updates have a toggle to be treated as important or not, so it was auto installed. Looking at the info, it shouldn't have done anything, but the only other recent update (this was July 30) was defender updates, so I uninstalled and reboot. Opened ComicRack, updated a book and..... the book remained. I then re-installed it to retest, reboot, opened, updated and...... the book still remained. People say this has gone out multiple times over the last year or 2, different Revs, perhaps. Maybe there was one version that caused this and when I removed/installed a correct or better version installed? If so, why hadn't it before? Anyways, I leave this info for others to do with as they please. Thanks for your time. Btw, I'd changed the settings in ComicRack to no auto, no save info, but when testing I turned save info back on and left auto off.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SiPfan, noakai

Comics Files are Disappearing 2 years 4 months ago #42774

• Kreos
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
Actually, you can change the file extension abbreviation through Bulk Utility Rename.

I've found that it doesn't take anything special to change from a cbr to a cbz; just change the last letter. And poof - a cbr is suddenly a cbz.

If there is anything negative about doing it that way, I've never noticed.

Comics Files are Disappearing 2 years 4 months ago #42777

• Innuendo
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
Kreos wrote:
Actually, you can change the file extension abbreviation through Bulk Utility Rename.

I've found that it doesn't take anything special to change from a cbr to a cbz; just change the last letter. And poof - a cbr is suddenly a cbz.

If there is anything negative about doing it that way, I've never noticed.

Well, the problem doing it that way is that CBR files are archives compressed with RAR compression (hence the R at the end of the file extension). CBZ files are archives compressed with ZIP compression (hence the Z at the end of the file extension).

Just changing the file extension is not going to change the compression of the file itself. This may work fine for your needs, but don't be surprised if it leads to some weird compatibility issues further down the line.

Comics Files are Disappearing 2 years 4 months ago #42778

• vacaboca
  • Fresh Boarder
Kreos, changing the extension from .cbr to .cbz doesn't actually change the file to a CBZ file... the fact that the files still "work" is because whatever app you use to open them (e.g., ComicRack) happens to understand the file format it actually is (CBR), and doesn't barf on the fact that the extension doesn't match. CBRs and CBZs differ in the file compression used to package them - RAR or ZIP, respectively. Your renaming doesn't actually reformat 'em.

That said, I'm bummed that there's no clear solution here... I guess I could try to undo/redo that one Windows update and see if that changes the behavior.

EDIT - that's what I get for replying to a non-refreshed forum page... What Innuendo said!
Last Edit: 2 years 4 months ago by vacaboca. Reason: Posted something redundant without knowing

Comics Files are Disappearing 2 years 4 months ago #42781

• SiPfan
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
schroder08 wrote:
This is simply anecdotally successful and not to be taken as fact until people with knowledge prove it, but I may have had some success. Looking through Windows update, there was a "recommended" update KB2976978. Now, it seems recommended updates have a toggle to be treated as important or not, so it was auto installed. Looking at the info, it shouldn't have done anything, but the only other recent update (this was July 30) was defender updates, so I uninstalled and reboot. Opened ComicRack, updated a book and..... the book remained. I then re-installed it to retest, reboot, opened, updated and...... the book still remained. People say this has gone out multiple times over the last year or 2, different Revs, perhaps. Maybe there was one version that caused this and when I removed/installed a correct or better version installed? If so, why hadn't it before? Anyways, I leave this info for others to do with as they please. Thanks for your time. Btw, I'd changed the settings in ComicRack to no auto, no save info, but when testing I turned save info back on and left auto off.

Looks like this is the answer, folks. Good sleuth-work from schroder08.

I uninstalled the update, rebooted then opened CR. I created a dummy folder into which I placed a group of CBZ's and began my usual editing. Scraped them, edited the other common information including page layouts and Saved. Bingo. Files behaved normally. Even went one step further by having CR export some files to cbz. No issues.

A little bit of independent corroboration would be welcome here before Libraries are restored. Anyone?

(Windows 8.1, CR ver. 0.9.176 64-bit.)
The martyrs and madmen I learned of in school will remember my name.

-Kevin Gilbert
1966-1996

Comics Files are Disappearing 2 years 4 months ago #42782

• noakai
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I believe this may be the fix, hmmm. I uninstalled the update, restarted my computer, opened CR, and updated the book info for around 500 files - some were scraped before I uninstalled the update, some scraped after I uninstalled it. None of them vanished this time. I'll do a little more testing later since I'm not done organizing my library yet anyway. Thanks very much, schroder08, whether or not this turns out to be the fix.
Last Edit: 2 years 4 months ago by noakai.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SiPfan

Comics Files are Disappearing 2 years 4 months ago #42783

• Kreos
  • Junior Boarder
Innuendo wrote:
Well, the problem doing it that way is that CBR files are archives compressed with RAR compression (hence the R at the end of the file extension). CBZ files are archives compressed with ZIP compression (hence the Z at the end of the file extension).

Just changing the file extension is not going to change the compression of the file itself. This may work fine for your needs, but don't be surprised if it leads to some weird compatibility issues further down the line.
vacaboca wrote:
Kreos, changing the extension from .cbr to .cbz doesn't actually change the file to a CBZ file... the fact that the files still "work" is because whatever app you use to open them (e.g., ComicRack) happens to understand the file format it actually is (CBR), and doesn't barf on the fact that the extension doesn't match. CBRs and CBZs differ in the file compression used to package them - RAR or ZIP, respectively. Your renaming doesn't actually reformat 'em.

Thanks for this info. Since I never had any problems reading the files, I figured all was good. Once again, those wiser than I are proving what little I really know about computers and the digital world...

Comics Files are Disappearing 2 years 4 months ago #42784

• Kreos
  • Junior Boarder
schroder08 wrote:

If this is indeed the problem, I can't find the update in Windows 10. Could it be an integrated part of that OS? If that is the case, what then?
Last Edit: 2 years 4 months ago by Kreos.

Comics Files are Disappearing 2 years 4 months ago #42786

• Innuendo
  • Expert Boarder
Kreos wrote:
Thanks for this info. Since I never had any problems reading the files, I figured all was good. Once again, those wiser than I are proving what little I really know about computers and the digital world...

The realm of computers and the digital world is vast. I don't care how smart anyone is, there's no way any one person is going to know everything. That's why there are dozens of different certifications, careers, and college curriculums. Sometimes all you can do is read as much as you can & hope some of it sticks. :)

Comics Files are Disappearing 2 years 4 months ago #42787

• Innuendo
  • Expert Boarder
Kreos wrote:
If this is indeed the problem, I can't find the update in Windows 10. Could it be an integrated part of that OS? If that is the case, what then?

Windows 10 is going to be an interesting case to diagnose. If that update was the problem, you are most likely on an upgrade install of Windows. Usually once one upgrades their OS, they don't have access to any of the old Windows updates that were installed on the previous OS.

I think what will also be fascinating to see is how a clean install of Windows 10 on a freshly formatted hard drive behaves. Since Windows 10 will not be downloading this update, will it behave 'normally' and let people update their libraries in peace? Or will it have the bug 'baked in' at Redmond?

Only a few people have installed Windows 10 clean...like me, but I am nowhere near to a place yet where I can start experimenting with ComicRack to see what happens.
Time to create page: 0.209 seconds

Who's Online

We have 231 guests and 3 members online