Welcome, Guest
Try to get help from other ComicRack users

TOPIC: Comics Files are Disappearing

Comics Files are Disappearing 2 years 2 months ago #42793

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 248
schroder08 wrote:
A little bit of independent corroboration would be welcome here before Libraries are restored. Anyone?

(Windows 8.1, CR ver. 0.9.176 64-bit.)

Only corroboration I can give is I actively chose not to install this update and have had no problems. And when I was talking about Microsoft getting things ready for the update path this was the update I was thinking of (but didn't have the number to hand).
Last Edit: 2 years 2 months ago by jkthemac.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Comics Files are Disappearing 2 years 2 months ago #42794

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
dockens wrote:
@jkthemac, that link just brings me back to the top of this thread's page, did you mean this? It sounds like the information you meant to provide might help some of us to at least narrow down the cause.

Sorry problems with the link here is the full link:

www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/en.../?PageSpeed=noscript

I have also updated the one that was wrong.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dockens

Comics Files are Disappearing 2 years 2 months ago #42795

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
Kreos wrote:
If this is indeed the problem, I can't find the update in Windows 10. Could it be an integrated part of that OS? If that is the case, what then?

The patch is supposed to make your system more compatible with the upgrade to windows 10 so it won't be part of 10 per-se but if you applied it before updating to 10 a bad version of that patch may have already changed a registry setting it wasn't supposed to.

The fact that Microsoft have recently released multiple updates to a number of these patches suggests they are aware they were causing issues for some windows users.

If I were using 10 and experiencing this problem I would definately be reinstalling Comicrack from within the hidden administrator profile as a first option.

I would recommend at least going into the administrator account and checking to see if the missing files are visible from that account. See my link above for how to get into that account.
The following user(s) said Thank You: noakai

Comics Files are Disappearing 2 years 2 months ago #42798

• noakai
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Updated many more files with no issues at all, so thank you again all who tried to fix this issue. Now I just hope that the vanished files were actually deleted and aren't sitting on my hard drive somewhere lol.

Comics Files are Disappearing 2 years 2 months ago #42830

• dockens
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks jkthemac for the fixed link.

An update on my situation. I checked on the KB2976978 update and found it hadn't even been installed, yet I was having the disappearing file problem. So, I tried installing it, still had the issue. But conveniently, Windows 10 was ready to install, so I finished that install, tried CR, and low and behold, everything seems to be working properly. Hopefully it keeps.

Thanks to everyone who put some effort into solving this issue!

Comics Files are Disappearing 2 years 2 months ago #42832

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
dockens wrote:
Thanks jkthemac for the fixed link.

An update on my situation. I checked on the KB2976978 update and found it hadn't even been installed, yet I was having the disappearing file problem. So, I tried installing it, still had the issue. But conveniently, Windows 10 was ready to install, so I finished that install, tried CR, and low and behold, everything seems to be working properly. Hopefully it keeps.

Thanks to everyone who put some effort into solving this issue!

I believe there were other updates that may have had an impact on this problem as Microsoft have been working on this new upgrade path for some time and I have noticed a few patches mentioned it in the last few months. Regardless, the most up to date patches and the upgrade path seems to be better now so fingers crossed there won't be too many more issues.

Personally I never update to a new windows until it becomes more mature. Often waiting for the first service pack. Plus I avoided 8 because it never felt complete.

Comics Files are Disappearing 2 years 2 months ago #42835

• Innuendo
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
jkthemac wrote:
Personally I never update to a new windows until it becomes more mature. Often waiting for the first service pack. Plus I avoided 8 because it never felt complete.

Probably because Windows 8 never received a service pack. ;) Of course, Microsoft has stated that there will be no more service packs & just rolling upgrades from here on out so you'll have to come up with a new plan as to when it'll be right for you to jump into the new OS.

Comics Files are Disappearing 2 years 2 months ago #42836

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
Microsoft say lots of things but large companies will almost certainly demand more staged updates as they won't want their computers constantly updating on the operating system's whim.

Comics Files are Disappearing 2 years 2 months ago #42837

• Innuendo
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
jkthemac wrote:
Microsoft say lots of things but large companies will almost certainly demand more staged updates as they won't want their computers constantly updating on the operating system's whim.

That's why large companies administer their own WSUS servers so they can pick and choose what gets pushed to their PCs and when it is pushed. For home users, Windows 10 is going to be an entirely new ball game what with there being no way to stop updates from installing unless you are running Windows 10 Pro.

Service packs are really the product of a by-gone era. With security flaws/risks being so rampant these days, there is no longer the luxury of waiting and rolling out one huge patch.

Comics Files are Disappearing 2 years 2 months ago #42838

• dockens
  • Fresh Boarder
Well, another update on my issues. After it appeared to be working, I successfully converted to cbz and scraped, but for some reason if I tried to add the books to my library before I converted it worked, but if I tried to add to library after I converted, it wouldn't do anything. Once I figured that out I went to use the Library Organizer plug-in and my files did the disappearing act again.

Very frustrating. So I tried running CR as an administrator. Everything worked. Even adding to the library after converting to cbz. No files disappeared. So going back to jkthemac's original premise, it looks to have to do with some sort of administrator setting.

Is there a way to make it so when I run it through clicking on the shortcut it always runs as administrator? Or will I have to right-click and choose that option every time?
Time to create page: 0.212 seconds

Who's Online

We have 212 guests and 8 members online