Welcome, Guest
Try to get help from other ComicRack users

TOPIC: Comics Files are Disappearing

Comics Files are Disappearing 2 years 3 months ago #42839

• Innuendo
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
dockens wrote:
Is there a way to make it so when I run it through clicking on the shortcut it always runs as administrator? Or will I have to right-click and choose that option every time?

If you right-click the ComicRack icon and select Properties you can navigate to the Compatibility tab where you can turn on "Run As Administrator" and from then on ComicRack will launch with Administrator access.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dockens

Comics Files are Disappearing 2 years 3 months ago #42840

• dockens
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Thanks Innuendo!

Comics Files are Disappearing 2 years 3 months ago #42842

• Kreos
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
Innuendo wrote:
I think what will also be fascinating to see is how a clean install of Windows 10 on a freshly formatted hard drive behaves. Since Windows 10 will not be downloading this update, will it behave 'normally' and let people update their libraries in peace? Or will it have the bug 'baked in' at Redmond?

Only a few people have installed Windows 10 clean...like me, but I am nowhere near to a place yet where I can start experimenting with ComicRack to see what happens.

my Windows 10 was a completely clean install. I was having other issues, so decided to do a clean install when I upgraded.

Comics Files are Disappearing 2 years 3 months ago #42869

• Raving Rob
  • Fresh Boarder
I have the same problem.

An example is comic.cbr is converted to comic.cbz, so the .cbr file is deleted. The system creates a new .cbz file and then replaces the original file. However, it creates a .tmp file in the meantime while swapping files and it seems these files aren't being moved to replace the file that was slated to be replaced.

Maybe it has to do with my set-up. I have my library on NAS but I import new files on my computer. My computer has 2 hard drives, the OS drive is an SSD and then a larger drive for installing programs and storing media I use regularly. When I add in files to CR I put them in a directory on the E drive (Non-SSD storage drive) though CR is installed on the C drive (SSD). After file conversion and scraping I send my files to the NAS.

I am running Win 8.1 (I have reserved Win 10 but not downloaded or installed it yet). Everything worked correctly before, but not now. There was a Windows update (KB2976978) on 8/11 but I had this problem prior to this update.

I noticed my C drive filled up when I converted a bunch of CBR's while the E went down about the same amount. Searching the C drive I found all the converted or updated files in the following directory:

C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\ComicRack\Scripts
(YourName would be your username on Windows)

It had all the new CBZ files and any updated files but added .tmp to the filenames. So now comic.cbz is stored as comic.cbz.tmp. If you just rename it to comic.cbz it works, so it was converted.
It looks like the issue is that CR scrapes or converts the files and then is unable to write them back to the original location. It does sound like an access issue, but I am not sure how to fix it at this time.

What is working for me is that if you run CR as admin it works correctly and doesn’t delete files when converting or updating them (so it does write them properly).

One issue I have with running as Admin is that it doesn’t access my NAS, so I can’t move books there then. But, if I update all the files and quit CR and then run it normally (not as admin) I can then access my NAS files and also move the new files to the NAS with no problems.

My workaround right now is to run in admin for scraping/conversion/file updates. I run normally (non-admin) to move files to their permanent stored locations. This works for now, and while a little inconvenient it is actually not too bad until there is a fix.

I hope this additional info can help someone who may be able to use it to figure out the issue and how to correct it.

-Rob

Comics Files are Disappearing 2 years 2 months ago #43000

• perezmu
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
This is a real mess... same for me:

Raving Rob wrote:
I have the same problem.

To summarize:
  • Running windows 10 x64, latest version
  • The problem appeared suddenly... I am not aware of any system update prior to the error
  • Files "disappear" not only when using CVS, but even after opening them for reading.
  • Sometimes restarting helps. Sometimes doesn't.
  • Same as Raving Rob describes: files are moved to this directory with .tmp added, so they can be recovered, but you lose track of where they were initially. A mess:
    C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\ComicRack\Scripts
  • Tried to run as admin, but my files are on shared network drives, and are not accessible to admin (tried various hacks to solve this found in google, but so far no luck).

The bottom line: the problem is not understood yet, and renders comicrack unusable for me :(

Comics Files are Disappearing 2 years 2 months ago #43024

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 253
To Raving Rob and perezmu

As I understand it you are both trying to use the Run as Admin workaround but seem to have problems with accessing your NAS as Admin.

Depending on how user access is setup on your NAS the solution may be as simple as creating a User ID on your NAS with the name Administrator and whichever password you have chosen for that account in windows.

Of course if you have not accessed the hidden Admin account you will need to at least change that password to achive this, because that account has no password as a default.
Last Edit: 2 years 2 months ago by jkthemac.

Comics Files are Disappearing 2 years 2 months ago #43029

• perezmu
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
perezmu wrote:
This is a real mess... same for me:
  • Tried to run as admin, but my files are on shared network drives, and are not accessible to admin (tried various hacks to solve this found in google, but so far no luck).

I have been able to solve this running command.com as administrator and remapping for this user the HDDs as
:
net use <letter> \\<server>\<share> /persistent:yes

See discussion here:

So far no more missing issues!

Comics Files are Disappearing 2 years 2 months ago #43039

• fieldhouse
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
for other user accounts you can specify the username / password in the Credential Manager app (win7 and later) so it'll automatically reconnect the drive on login without prompting for a password.

Comics Files are Disappearing 2 years 1 month ago #43465

• dracodoom
  • Fresh Boarder
Try changing the file permissions on the upmost folder where the comics are stored in to allow Users modify access.
Last Edit: 2 years 1 month ago by dracodoom.

Comics Files are Disappearing 1 year 1 month ago #46164

• 6of5
  • Fresh Boarder
Sorry to dig up this old thread but was this ever truly resolved? I just had this happen to me as of yesterday - once a file is written to it vanishes. I found the temp copies and have back-ups so nothing permanently lost but CR has almost no utility to me now.

Just curious before I run down the laundry list of possible fixes.

Windows 10 for over a year, current version of CR (0.9.178). No manual changes or updates made to any Win10 or CR settings in over a week. Use CR nearly everyday. The issue seems to have popped up completely at random.
Time to create page: 0.368 seconds

Who's Online

We have 291 guests and 4 members online