Welcome, Guest
Try to get help from other ComicRack users

TOPIC: Noob Question: Importing an existing folder structure

Noob Question: Importing an existing folder structure 2 years 3 months ago #43003

• lrdwlmr
  • Fresh Boarder
Okay, so I'm trying to import my comic collection into ComicRack, and I'm trying to find a way to make ComicRack recognize and follow my pre-existing file structure. On the drive where my comics live, I've got everything broken down by publisher, then further subdivided by character/title/story arc. It's a pretty good system, and I'm pleased with it, but when I imported my comics into ComicRack, it just dumped everything in without any of the organization I already had in place. I know I can organize everything in my ComicRack library with folders and smart lists and whatnot, but to be honest, that would be a lot of work - my collection is somewhere in the vicinity of 8,000 books. So my question is, is there a way to import the existing file/folder structure from my comics folder into ComicRack?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Noob Question: Importing an existing folder structure 2 years 3 months ago #43007

• fieldhouse
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
If you have the Comic Vine Scraper plugin set up you can put a cvinfo series tag in each series directory.
CVS plugin: github.com/cbanack/comic-vine-scraper/wiki
cvinfo use: github.com/cbanack/comic-vine-scraper/wiki/CVINFO-and-CVDB-tags

Noob Question: Importing an existing folder structure 2 years 3 months ago #43011

• rmagere
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 24
I suggest you also look into Priat (comicrack.cyolito.com/forum/13-scripts/2...v-006-bugfix-release) as it could help prepare your files if you have an already organised library

Noob Question: Importing an existing folder structure 2 years 3 months ago #43020

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 253
For a manual solution that may get things into a basic order without much background reading, you could just edit the files using the folder view.

For example if you go to the folder view (second tab in top left of the sidebar), navigate to your DC folder and ensure you have the "include all subfolders" button selected, (double folder icon) you will see a flat list of every DC title.

If you then select them all and Right Click>Info...>Details you can just fill the Publisher Field with DC

If you do this with relevent fields for wider branches of your structure you are half way there without having to learn how to use scripts etc.

Relevent fields for you would be:
Publisher / Main Character or Team / Series / Story Arc

You could easily create a view that replicated this for your whole library by selecting Publisher then <Ctrl> Main Character or Team, then <Ctrl> Series, then <Ctrl> Story Arc from the 'Group by' pulldown at the top of the main view. Before using "Save List Layout".

How deep you go before you start using the library view or scripts to organise things is up to you. Bear in mind ComicRack is more of a database. That means it can be very flexible and powerful in organising things in multiple ways. This inevitably makes the Library view the main view to use once you get used to how to display things you want quickly.

Once you have your basic structure there is no substitute for scraping the info using the Comic Vine Scraper, but be aware that this could throw up some occassional anomalies where Comic Vine organises things differently to you, so I would advise doing that piecemeal rather than all at once so you can check on what it is doing.
Last Edit: 2 years 3 months ago by jkthemac.
Time to create page: 0.171 seconds

Who's Online

We have 230 guests and one member online