Welcome, Guest
Try to get help from other ComicRack users

TOPIC: Surface 4 Pro - almost perfect for comics, but two problems...

Surface 4 Pro - almost perfect for comics, but two problems... 2 years 3 weeks ago #44191

• Mastiff
  • Fresh Boarder
I have bought a Surface 4, mostly inspired by comic reading (since the format 3:2 is so much better than 16x9, which most of these things are). And comicRack seems to be the best program to do this. There are only two things that I struggle with:

1. The interface is very small. Hysterically small. With the resolution of 2736x1824 I have to try a lot of times to hit the small cross to close a comic book, and the rest of the interface is just impossible to use. Isn't it possible to change the size of these things?

2. It's a problem finding a way to both go one page back toggle between comic page only and show browser. I can't get the program to accept double taps on the screen as anything else than two single taps, so I go next page twice instead. I have two finger tap to go back one page, since I can't get the flicks to work either. Is there something I haven't understood here in the setup?

Thanks in advance!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Surface 4 Pro - almost perfect for comics, but two problems... 2 years 3 weeks ago #44192

• Fuzzyluzzi
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 45
If you are running ComicRack full screen. There are a bunch of applications out there that can change resolution based on the application running.

Surface 4 Pro - almost perfect for comics, but two problems... 2 years 3 weeks ago #44193

• Mastiff
  • Fresh Boarder
Aha, thanks! I'll have a look at that, then.

Surface 4 Pro - almost perfect for comics, but two problems... 1 year 11 months ago #44497

• DrCord
  • Fresh Boarder
Windows 10 - retina display: I have tried to adjust settings to force comicrack buttons to be at a usable size on my retina display, but nothing works. I want a refund. Why is there absolutely no way to contact the creator of this program? If the creator won't update their program for technology that has been available for years and won't allow you to contact them then this is a real piece of shit. 0 out of a million stars rating, I will certainly make sure the owner doesn't get any more money from anyone I know then.

Surface 4 Pro - almost perfect for comics, but two problems... 1 year 11 months ago #44498

• Rincewind
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
A refund for a free program ?
I know that the internet is full of fools, but who do you want to refund you the nothing you had to pay for it ?

Surface 4 Pro - almost perfect for comics, but two problems... 1 year 11 months ago #44499

• DrCord
  • Fresh Boarder
it's donationware. once you start using it it asks for a donation.

Surface 4 Pro - almost perfect for comics, but two problems... 1 year 11 months ago #44503

• Rincewind
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
It asks for a donation, but other than the nag screen, there is nothing different if you donate, and if you do not like the program, why donate ?

Surface 4 Pro - almost perfect for comics, but two problems... 1 year 11 months ago #44505

• DrCord
  • Fresh Boarder
because

1. it harasses you everytime you open it.
2. I am a software developer and like to support other developers when I think they have made a decent piece of software.
3. I liked the program on a normal windows computer, but then got a retina screen, which it is almost unusable on. Anyone with poor eyesight could certainly not use it.
4. the software developers refuse to provide ANY sort of contact information, this is a really poor practice, especially for a non-open source piece of software that the users have no hope of patching for a given problem.

Surface 4 Pro - almost perfect for comics, but two problems... 1 year 11 months ago #44507

So... you donated to support the developer and future development. But you want a refund because something you want in the software is not there yet? Hmm... Seems like you are missing the point of the donation (to fund development of features that are not there yet and fix bugs.)

I'd recommend going to the Feature Requests part of the forum and asking for interface scaling. I'm sure this might be a popular request in the coming years since monitor resolutions are quickly going up (4k will probably be the norm in a couple years.) Though honestly this sounds more like an OS scaling issue, which Windows is very much known for.

I doubt you will get a refund, nor should you. It may be annoying if something you want isn't there, but a donation is a donation. You don't go to St. Jude and ask for your donation back because they haven't cured cancer in children yet right?

Surface 4 Pro - almost perfect for comics, but two problems... 1 year 11 months ago #44508

• DrCord
  • Fresh Boarder
My understanding of the donation is it is for appreciation for the currently developed software and future development. I would be less annoyed if the creator had a way to contact them directly. I don't expect I will ever get a refund and it is more the fact that I donated to something that appeared donation worthy but had hidden flaws in it, only revealed when you have certain hardware that bothers me.

BTW it is certainly not a windows issue but a display resolution issue.
Time to create page: 0.185 seconds

Who's Online

We have 258 guests and one member online