Welcome, Guest
Try to get help from other ComicRack users
  • Page:

TOPIC: Setting up SQL

Setting up SQL 1 year 5 months ago #45600

• Fuzzyluzzi
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 44
Is there any documentation out there to help those of us that have never set up a SQL database. My CRW database is getting up there in size and taking a long time to save/close. I've seen various posts about MySQL and SQLite, but nothing about how to migrate from our existing setup. If anyone could give suggestions on what might be easiest, it would be most helpful. Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Setting up SQL 1 year 5 months ago #45617

• Silentgray
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
Here is the tutorial for the connection settings. Or are you looking for something else?

comicrack.cyolito.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?...ng_a_shared_database
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fuzzyluzzi

Setting up SQL 1 year 5 months ago #45650

• Fuzzyluzzi
  • Gold Boarder
Installed MySQL, Setup a User with full permissions, created a comicdb, removed the ; from comicrack.ini to access the datasource. Yet for some reason I'm getting a timeout error on a localhost and it reverts to using an empty database. Is there somewhere I can set it so it doesn't time out while it imports the 22k records.

Setting up SQL 1 year 5 months ago #45651

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 253
Yes. This is because ComicRack is not written efficiently for SQL, so it tries to load lots of data up front instead of requesting things when it needs it.

SQL is still the best way to go but you have to put up with these things.

Go to the appdata folder (usually hidden) and find your ComicRack.ini file. You presumably used that to set up SQL so you probably know where it is.

Edit the DataSource line to change the default command timeout

The line would be something like this:

DataSource = mysql:Server=<IP Address>;Uid=<username>;Pwd=<password>;Database=<database name>;default command timeout=<time in seconds>;

Where some of the variables may have different names based on which SQL implementation you use.

The larger the library the larger this will need to be. I have mine set all the way up at 500 and if my network is slow sometimes that still doesn't pick up the data in time. (My database is on NAS so it is a bit slower than if you are running the database on the PC where Comicrack is running.
Last Edit: 1 year 5 months ago by jkthemac.

Setting up SQL 1 year 5 months ago #45653

• Silentgray
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
Also, are you using MySQL or Microsoft SQL express?

Setting up SQL 1 year 5 months ago #45655

• Fuzzyluzzi
  • Gold Boarder
MySQL

Setting up SQL 1 year 5 months ago #45656

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
Connection strings really are the key here. For MYSQL the format would be:

Server=myServerAddress;Database=myDataBase;Uid=myUsername;Pwd=myPassword;default command timeout=myTimeout;

I spent quite some time playing with connection strings for my setup, as a lot of advice out there is not specific for each SQL implementation.

for MYSQL look here:

MySQL connection strings

BUT

My NAS uses MySQL and the string is not in the same format, it is as I posted earlier. This only goes to prove how different the implementations can be.

Mine is on a Buffalo Linkstation, and for reference that uses:

lighttpd/1.4.32
MySQL client version: 5.0.70
PHP extension: mysql
phpMyAdmin: 3.2.2
Last Edit: 1 year 5 months ago by jkthemac.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChrisR

Setting up SQL 11 months 1 day ago #46708

• Xelloss
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 117
I just found out about this (6 years and this software still amaze me with how many things it has) and I was considering moving to an sql database...

However, as I don't have any idea on SQL, my question would be... Apart for real time data saving, and shared use (which I wouldn't use), is there any other advantage? Does it show better performance with sql than the XML file?

Setting up SQL 11 months 10 hours ago #46713

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
Yes, data integrity. I find Comicrack relatively unstable on my setup (and my previous two setups) and SQL copies the data to the database in real time, preserving the data when you crash, and externalising it so you are no longer relying upon the comicrack database.

Some of us switched to SQL because we got fed up with rescraping our data every few months.

Another advantage is I use the SQL on my NAS box, so the data is on a different drive and less subject to the vagaries of Windows.

Plus even the inefficient flat SQL database used in ComicRack is faster when you have a lot of data. Although often very slow to start-up because ComicRack likes all of the data for some unknown reason I cant quite get my head around. (I know really, its a legacy reason. The full SQL version never emerged,)
Last Edit: 11 months 10 hours ago by jkthemac.

Setting up SQL 11 months 3 hours ago #46717

• Trask
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 28
I've also heard it cuts down on timeouts when transferring comics wirelessly (although I'm yet to test this for myself as I'm just setting it up as well.)

I'm setting up an old netbook I had lying around collecting dust as the server. It's running linux with mysql. My question is, if I set up a samba share with all my comics on the same netbook, I still need to push from the desktop don't I? I can't just go and pull comics to my tablet.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.226 seconds

Who's Online

We have 270 guests and 8 members online