Welcome, Guest
Try to get help from other ComicRack users

TOPIC: Searching library for missing issues/gaps checked against a DB

Searching library for missing issues/gaps checked against a DB 1 year 5 months ago #45700

• Kuraiholy
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello. I've read through a lot of topics on how to find gaps with smart lists and how to find missing issues much the same way, but does anyone know of a better way?

I ask this because I'm up to 35k issues, all converted to CBZ and scraped with data saved, and I randomly stumble across series that are just not complete. It would take an absurd amount of time searching each series out and seeing how many issues there are, which I have, and tracking down replacements for the holes. Like I just found out a series I have is 12 issues, and I only have up to 5, so find gaps wouldn't help me there. Has anyone else had this problem and found a nice solution for it?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Searching library for missing issues/gaps checked against a DB 1 year 5 months ago #45702

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 253
Gap finding is a part of Comic Rack but it will still require some manual checking because it isn't matching against a database, so it will take renumbering as a gap.

The easiest way to find them would be to set up a smart list with:

Series: Gaps is greater than 0

and to use the Gap Information column in your view to see where the gaps are.

You can also use 'Series: End of Gap' or 'Series: Start of Gap' in your smart list.

So try this Smart List:

File Attachment:

File Name: Gaps.cbl
File Size:1 KB

Combining this with the Gap Information column will allow this view:

Unfortunately this wont find volumes that finish prematurely.
Last Edit: 1 year 5 months ago by jkthemac.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kuraiholy

Searching library for missing issues/gaps checked against a DB 1 year 5 months ago #45703

• Kuraiholy
  • Fresh Boarder
Yeah. I didn't know about that gap column though, that'll help some. I'm just looking for something that can read the comicrack database and compare it to another one and let me know what's missing, or some variation of that. There's just so many comics hahaha

Searching library for missing issues/gaps checked against a DB 1 year 5 months ago #45710

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
The problem there is that the Comic Vine API terms of use. They get a little touchy if you start hitting their database with multiple broad searches. Also CVs database is not static. they often reorganise volumes, breaking their own rules on indicia continuity for convenience and changing how a volume is represented. (X-Men / The X-Men / The Uncanny X-men being having been through four iterations while I have been here.)

Many used to use Fillseries but I have never tried it so I don't know if it still works.

I was in a similar position to you and I did the hard yards, checking how many issues were in each volume for the publishers I was interested in. Yes it took a long while and I didn't bother with a lot of my database. It was still achievable. What you do is line up a group of volumes, right click the final issue of each allow the pages of CV to load in tabs of your browser. where you can check the last issue is correct. It took me a few hours a week to get things the way I wanted. But I kind of enjoy those mindless tasks, so I can zone out while listening to podcasts.

Another option is to use the series info panel instead of the web link. You could also theoretically use the scraper itself without the auto settings to visually check the number of issues (although there is a database bug at CV that often has a count one less which is also seen on their webpage.

It would perhaps be possible to write a script similar to fill series that adds the first and last issue of a volume as a fileless entry if you don't have it, allowing the smart list to find the extra gaps, but obviously your script knowledge would need to be good and it would rely on scraping CV.
Last Edit: 1 year 5 months ago by jkthemac.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kuraiholy

Searching library for missing issues/gaps checked against a DB 1 year 5 months ago #45712

• Kuraiholy
  • Fresh Boarder
I threw in fill gaps and after playing around, this might be the way to go. It'll still be a lot of manual work, and it's definitely not perfect(said I was missing a couple I actually had) but it's a step in the right direction. Thanks for all the help. If anyone ever comes up with an even better way, I'm sure we're all ears on it haha

Searching library for missing issues/gaps checked against a DB 1 year 5 months ago #45715

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
Just a quick word of caution about fileless entries. If you add a book to a fileless entry you loose the data that you have scrapped or entered manually so, if you end up doing that, remember to copy the data and then paste it once you have added the file.
Time to create page: 0.225 seconds

Who's Online

We have 255 guests and 2 members online