Welcome, Guest
Try to get help from other ComicRack users

TOPIC: Sort by image format?

Sort by image format? 1 year 2 months ago #45961

I always convert my comics into webp format since it saves space. So I was trying to figure out how to setup a smart list so that it will sort comics based on whether or not the pages are jpeg, png, gif, etc. So that I could more quickly and easily convert the non-webp files.
Last Edit: 1 year 2 months ago by General Zod.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Sort by page format? 1 year 2 months ago #45963

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 248
As far as I know there is no way to do this. I have experimented with Webp in the past and what I did was add Webp to one of the fields (In my case 'Notes about this book' in the catalog tab.)

Far be it for me to advise on your preferred format but the claims for webp are exaggerated to my eyes when used for comics. You may be able to achieve exactly the same quality/size tradeoffs with careful selection of jpg settings.

Of course the best way to decide is to experiment. In my own experiments I ended up deciding against it.
Last Edit: 1 year 2 months ago by jkthemac.

Sort by page format? 1 year 2 months ago #45979

jkthemac wrote:
As far as I know there is no way to do this. I have experimented with Webp in the past and what I did was add Webp to one of the fields (In my case 'Notes about this book' in the catalog tab.)

Far be it for me to advise on your preferred format but the claims for webp are exaggerated to my eyes when used for comics. You may be able to achieve exactly the same quality/size tradeoffs with careful selection of jpg settings.

Of course the best way to decide is to experiment. In my own experiments I ended up deciding against it.
The notes thing works pretty well, thanks.

I'm no expert on image quality or any of that, I just like the reduced file size since I have hundreds of GB of comics. I just export my files as WebP instead of jpg and it reduces the file size by well over half and I can't see any difference in image quality.

After posting this topic I thought I could just convert my files to cb7 instead of cbz/cbr which would differentiate my converted WebP files from cbr/cbz files that still need to be converted. But so far I'm having some issues with converting to cb7 increasing the file sizes. I guess zip is just the best compression possible? Nothing else I try gets the file size as low as it.
Last Edit: 1 year 2 months ago by General Zod.
Time to create page: 0.171 seconds

Who's Online

We have 164 guests and 7 members online