Welcome, Guest
Try to get help from other ComicRack users

TOPIC: Removing options from default lists doesn't work. What do I do?

Removing options from default lists doesn't work. What do I do? 1 year 2 months ago #45991

I have been trying to get into the "Format" and "Genre" configs because at the moment they are causing more trouble for me than help -- mainly the multiple items that mean essentially the same thing, eg., four different ways of saying "Black and White; and spellings that are unusual for me that I keep automatically typing a different way, e.g., "Super-Hero" rather than "Superhero." It's not a matter of just picking one and sticking with it and ignoring the others, because I am converting a TON of books and sometimes forget which I chose or select the wrong field.

My impression from the file itself was that I could edit this by editing defaultlists.txt, but I have done so and nothing changed (and I was suspicious to begin with since it clearly had fewer things to begin with than the fields my copy of CR installed with). I have seen elsewhere that there are other config files I could be going into, but I have yet to identify them. Could someone please tell me where these are located and what they are called?
Last Edit: 1 year 2 months ago by phaedrusnyc.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Editing defaultlists.txt doesn't do anything-- where/what are the files to edit? 1 year 2 months ago #45997

I guess I'm completely invisible on these boards.

Editing defaultlists.txt doesn't do anything-- where/what are the files to edit? 1 year 2 months ago #46002

• Fuzzyluzzi
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 44
I'm sorry you think you are invisible after just one day. I don't know where any of the config files are located, nor have I attempted to manipulate data that way. Could you better explain what you are attempting to do. It might be possible with scripts or others have run into a similar situation. I know Library Organizer and Data Manager are very powerful scripts that can do pretty much everything we want.

Editing defaultlists.txt doesn't do anything-- where/what are the files to edit? 1 year 2 months ago #46011

What I'm speaking of is the default lists that are referenced in the defaultlists.txt in the install folder, that ostensibly should be editable. For example, "Format" has the default choices B/W, Giant, Limited, TPB, etc. (As well as spelling variants such as B_W, Black and White, B&W, Trade Paperback, etc.) "Genre" has default choices Fantasy, Science Fiction, Super-Hero, etc. By editing the defaultlists.txt, supposedly you can change these fields to reflect your own needs or collections. For example, I wanted choices such as Treasury, Digest, and 3D in "Format," and I wanted Superhero (spelled without the hyphen), Licensed, and Pulp in "Genre". All of which you can do manually on an individual basis, but which is much more easily changed if it's available in check-box format.

What I'm finding is that ADDING these fields does, eventually work. (I had to find each instance of the file on my C: drive and make the changes). However, DELETING fields that you don't want has no effect. So, even though it would be much easier for me to have ONE format for "B/W," I still am stuck with all the variants despite removing them from the list. I added my respelled "Superhero" choices but now that's simply doubled the list of choices -- "Super-Hero" is still there. Aside from cluttering the index this has a real impact on utility because it is easy to click the wrong "version" of a field and not notice until you're searching and sorting.

Obviously these "extra" fields are residing somewhere other than the defaultlists.txt file or they wouldn't keep coming back after I delete them. My question is, where?
Last Edit: 1 year 2 months ago by phaedrusnyc.
Time to create page: 0.187 seconds

Who's Online

We have 200 guests and 5 members online