Welcome, Guest
Try to get help from other ComicRack users

TOPIC: Getting Comic Vine Scraper (or Library Organizer) to ignore an imprint?

Getting Comic Vine Scraper (or Library Organizer) to ignore an imprint? 1 year 3 months ago #46070

I use ComicVineScraper to fill in my info, and then Library Organizer to organize them in folders. My organization uses the format {<imprint> - }{<publisher>}, which means that the folders name themselves with the publisher, and the imprint if any.

example:
Dark Horse Comics\
DC Comics\
Disney\
Marvel\
Marvel Knights - Marvel\
Vertigo - DC Comics\

for some reason ComicVine gives some DC Comics the imprint "DC Universe", seemingly arbitrarily. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to this, so:

I would like to either
a) Tell CVS not to apply the imprint of "DC Universe", but still apply other imprints, or, if I can't do that,
b) Have Library Organizer ignore the imprint of "DC Universe" but not other imprints.

Anyone know how I can do that?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Getting Comic Vine Scraper (or Library Organizer) to ignore an imprint? 1 year 3 months ago #46071

• Stonepaw
  • Thank you received: 268
There are two options I can think of here.

1. I believe you can use the Data Manager to remove the DC Universe imprint quite easily. I don't use the Data Manager much so I can't really walk you through that.

2. Set up two profile in Library Organizer, one with the imprint field and one without. Set up exclude rules in these profiles so that the profile with the imprint never moves a comic with the imprint with "DC Universe" and a rule in the one without the imprint to only move when the imprint is "DC Universe".

Getting Comic Vine Scraper (or Library Organizer) to ignore an imprint? 1 year 3 months ago #46072

• Targg
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
It's not arbitrary; the person who is providing the comcs (from the scan group Novus) uses ComicRack and adds that themselves. So it is in the XML of the comic when you receive it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JohnKFisher

Getting Comic Vine Scraper (or Library Organizer) to ignore an imprint? 1 year 3 months ago #46074

well yeah, but I mean the end result is that if you want to guess whether a specific comic has or doesn't have that imprint listed, its pretty much a random dice roll, so I'd prefer MY collection to just ignore it.

(edit: wait, you're saying it isn't in comic vine? I think you're wrong, because I generally clear data from new comics first, BUT stand by, let me double check - I'll update this in a bit)
Last Edit: 1 year 3 months ago by JohnKFisher.

Getting Comic Vine Scraper (or Library Organizer) to ignore an imprint? 1 year 3 months ago #46079

• Targg
  • Senior Boarder
If you can find it in ComicVine as an imprint on their site I would be genuinely surprised, but it isn't an imprint. I have scraped well over 500,000 comics (742k currently), and every single one of the comics which show "DC Universe" as an imprint came from the same person's scans/rips.

Getting Comic Vine Scraper (or Library Organizer) to ignore an imprint? 1 year 3 months ago #46080

Well, that dwarfs my 35000 ;-)

I'll check mine when I get home, but I think you must be right. I had CVS set to overwrite, but not if that would cause a field to be blank. I'm guessing I just have been inconsistent on clearing the existing data before an import, and that setting caused it to not be overwritten with [no imprint].

I'm stalling until I can get home from work to change that setting, rescan everything and see if that fixes it once and for all, but you've pretty much convinced me that it was user (me!) error... or at least user (still me!) misinterpretation of what was happening ;-)
Last Edit: 1 year 3 months ago by JohnKFisher.

Getting Comic Vine Scraper (or Library Organizer) to ignore an imprint? 1 year 3 months ago #46081

• Targg
  • Senior Boarder
That would do it. I have mine set to overwrite even if it leaves a field blank, so they disappear for me when I scrape them. :)

Getting Comic Vine Scraper (or Library Organizer) to ignore an imprint? 1 year 3 months ago #46083

Yep, you were 100% correct - all because I didn't have that box checked ;-)

THANK YOU - I found that very frustrating, and now it seems much cleaner to me
Time to create page: 0.182 seconds

Who's Online

We have 266 guests and 2 members online