Welcome, Guest
Try to get help from other ComicRack users

TOPIC: Sharing comics and updating master list

Sharing comics and updating master list 1 year 2 months ago #46178

• deknegt
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello everyone. I am loving Comicrack so far, but I got a small question.

I got my main server with comics sitting on my PC, and I also got a (Windows OS) tablet that I want to use for reading comics on since that's so much more easier...
I already managed to set up the sharing, and I can read the same comics on my tablet now. But one thing that is slightly annoying me is that whenever I run through a couple of comics I need to go to my PC and manually mark all of them to 'read'. And since I often just read all kinds of things across each other, it can get very confusing very quick.

Is there a way for the master list on my PC to automatically be updated whenever I read through a book on my tablet? Or is that too much to ask?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Sharing comics and updating master list 1 year 2 months ago #46183

• boshuda
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 65
I fear the way things sit it's too much to ask right now. The read percentage is a read-only property. That means you can't use a script to transfer that information. If you want to share the read percentage you'll want to share your desktop's library to your laptop, rather than copying comics manually or having two different libraries.

Sharing comics and updating master list 1 year 2 months ago #46184

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 253
Theoretically you could use another field that gets saved in the XML data to mark it as read, and then use a smart list and to find these on each device and mark them as read each time you switch devices. Or a ruleset in Data Manager to do the checking and marking.

I stress theoretically because I have never tried using two databases on one set of books. It would make more sense to share the database.

Sharing comics and updating master list 1 year 2 months ago #46185

• boshuda
  • Gold Boarder
I see. Something like a note, tag, or something similar. Data manager could probably do it pretty easily. Have it look for read percentage greater 95% and add a tag/note/whatever. If Data manager can set the read percentage that would complete it, but you could create a filter on each setup that looks for that tag.

At first I was like 'you can't save custom tags off to the CBZ... he knows that :/'

You could also consider installing ComicRack Android on a virtual Android. There are a couple of nice simulators out there for Android now.

Sharing comics and updating master list 1 year 2 months ago #46186

• deknegt
  • Fresh Boarder
Fair points, shame that there isn't a way but i'll soldier on!

Thanks for the quick replies, you guys.

Sharing comics and updating master list 1 year 2 months ago #46193

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 253
We are not saying there isn't a way we are saying there is a way, but it needs some work at your end setting up a semi-automatic work flow. So for example every time you walk away from each device you would need to run a quick data-manager rule and then save the data into your files, and every time you pick up the other device run the rule again (although saving the data would be unnecessary until you put it down).

However what still isn't clear is are you using a shared database or not?
Last Edit: 1 year 2 months ago by jkthemac.

Sharing comics and updating master list 1 year 2 months ago #46195

• boshuda
  • Gold Boarder
Yeah, how EXACTLY are you transferring/reading your comics on two different devices. Do you have a library on each machine? Do you physically copy files? Do you try to copy the database back and forth? An example of you reading what on which device might also be helpful. Provide more information than you think we'll need, and we'll try to help out.
Time to create page: 0.177 seconds

Who's Online

We have 212 guests and 2 members online