Welcome, Guest
Try to get help from other ComicRack users

TOPIC: Saving storage space

Saving storage space 1 year 3 weeks ago #46196

• neurocase
  • Fresh Boarder
I'm trying to figure something out, and I'm a total CR noob, so bear with me here. I've tried looking into it, but maybe due to the late hour, I can't quite parse the answers to get something simple.

My question is this, and please, ELI5:

Is it possible for me (while on the same network) to read comics stored on my PC on my IPAD, without storage space being taken up on the iPad?

I used to use ComicFlow, until I realized that the app was swelling in size, throttling the space on my iPad, whenever I added comics to the web server.
For those of you familiar with Plex, that's essentially what I'm after. I don't care about doing it on the go; I'd just like to be able to have comics saved on my PC, and to be able to read them on my iPad at home, without the iPad getting choked with the actual files.

Honestly, this is simply because I prefer lounging in a chair with a touch interface for reading, as opposed to being hunched at my desk and scrolling with my mouse. As I said, I don't care about reading the comics when outside of the house, this is purely while on the same network.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Saving storage space 1 year 3 weeks ago #46202

• boshuda
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 63
Comic Rack doesn't allow this. And the closest I can recommend while using Comic Rack is to do a some things while setting up your sync library:
  1. Check the 'Optimize Size' box
  2. Check the 'Limit to xxx MB or GB'
  3. Check 'Only Unread'
  4. Sort how you want the comics to be read, whatever makes sense for your particular reading list.
Then sync periodically. It will still take up space, but the amount of space can be constrained in this manner. you can sync from within the app (well, at least on the Android device. Not sure about the iOS one). It will remove the read comics, and grab new comics up to your constraint. The optimized comics are pretty small. I have a 226 comics on my Android and it only takes up 5.22 GB.

There might be some way to mount a network drive where your comics reside, and then have Comic Rack use that for your alternate location in the options. But I've never tried that and I suspect it would be problematic.

Saving storage space 1 year 3 weeks ago #46204

• Fuzzyluzzi
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 44
There are several Plex third party channels that will handle unzipping and reading both zip and cbz folders. This is only good for viewing however. You would still need Comic Rack to keep everything organized and you would lose the ability to save read status.

Saving storage space 1 year 3 weeks ago #46205

• boshuda
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 63
Fuzzyluzzi wrote:
There are several Plex third party channels that will handle unzipping and reading both zip and cbz folders. This is only good for viewing however. You would still need Comic Rack to keep everything organized and you would lose the ability to save read status.
That's kind of awesome. Any suggestions on which ones to use? And then I could open my Plex on my living room tv, and use my remote control to read them?

I found this one. Anxious to try it out.
Last Edit: 1 year 3 weeks ago by boshuda. Reason: Found a plex plugin for reading comics
Time to create page: 0.280 seconds

Who's Online

We have 206 guests and 5 members online